Can you seizure while on medication?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been on medication now for about 3 weeks (Divalproex) 1000/mg/daily as I had a grand mal seizure early in August, being the first and only grand mal that I've had. That combined with the fact I have been having what the neurologist suspects as seizure activity for years and years being the reason he put me on the medication.

Last night while in bed and still awake I had a few clonic jerks. Then about 10 minutes later my body started to spasm, mostly in my upper body. This lasted very briefly, maybe 10 seconds, and I did not loose consciousness.

Is it possible that this was a partial seizure, and if so, why would I be having it while being on the medication?:ponder:

Any comments?

Deb

Well, I don't know if what you had was a seizure...but it might be. As for having seizures while on meds, it is VERY much possible. You may not have the right meds...you might need to take more than one....you might not be at the right dosage...you might be under more stress than usual...you might need more sleep...there's a lot of reasons why. Actually, just because your on meds doesn't mean you'll never have another seizure. I wish that were true. And unfortunately, that's often how docs make it sound.

Deb - my daughter had many more seizures when ON medication then when off of the meds. There were new and different types for each med that we tried.

I have had seizures on and off meds. and using alternate treatments . It has been more due to birth defects and severe brain abnormalties all my life!
David

Last edited:
Gee thanks guys for the quick responses. Yes I guess it is very well possible that my medication isn't adjusted right yet, which scares me as I leave on a extensive holiday the first week of October...like 5 months. I'm sure I was having some seizure activity as I never experienced it before. And yes I am under a fair bit of stress right now trying to get ready for this extensive trip....so much planning and organization that needs to be done.

I have an appointment with my Doc again on the 19th, so will tell her of this event, as well as get the results of my second blood tests for divalproex levels.

Deb

Well, I don't know if what you had was a seizure...but it might be. As for having seizures while on meds, it is VERY much possible. You may not have the right meds...you might need to take more than one....you might not be at the right dosage...you might be under more stress than usual...you might need more sleep...there's a lot of reasons why. Actually, just because your on meds doesn't mean you'll never have another seizure. I wish that were true. And unfortunately, that's often how docs make it sound.

:agree: with skillefer!

I've tried many meds, had surgery and still have seizures! :(

Don't be intimidated by the dr. and ask lots of questions about seizures ,meds, etc.

I've been on medication since I was a kid & still have between 3 & 6 seizures a week. I know if I don't take my meds I get T/C seizures which I almost never get. The way one of my neurologist talked of medications & AED's is that they help control seizures but don't stop or cure them.

I've been on medication since I was a kid & still have between 3 & 6 seizures a week. I know if I don't take my meds I get T/C seizures which I almost never get. The way one of my neurologist talked of medications & AED's is that they help control seizures but don't stop or cure them.

I've been on meds since I was about 2 and I've been having seizures on& off every since.I take my meds and it's never stopped my seizures from happening.
I don't remember most of my seizures now so they just control some of them.:woot:

Belinda

yes you can

i've been on lamictal and felbatol and i still have seizures and this is four brain surgeries later. i take ativan again. i have been kicked out of work again for a while. please wish me a bit of good luck. thanks. crazy kitties.

Thanks again guys.

Crazy Kitties--sorry to hear about your work issues. I had several health issues all during my work career, now finding out that they were probably seizure related, and found my employer's empathy and compassion only went so far. So be it....I guess I understand a certain amount of it. When one is depended on in the work place.....well you get the drift. Hard to take though, when you have to work to survive but have health issues holding you back. So I understand your situation. Hang in there.

Thanks to you other folks who have come forward on this thread. I'm so new to this seizure stuff, and still in "denial" of what my Neurologist is telling me. All I know is now that I'm on this medication, life is a roller coaster ride for sure with all the vertigo and woosiness. :roflmao:

I like to have a glass of red wine on Friday night, can't even do that anymore. Gee one glass of wine puts me under the table now with this medication. Will have to think of something else to entertain me on Friday nights. Any suggestions? LOL

Deb

red wine

ya, have the red wine anyway. be in denial like i still am cuz it is too hard to digest. i've had this stupid disorder for 18 yrs and 4 brain surgeries, 7 meds later i'm sitting here off work again cuz of seizures at work. don't know if they'll allow me back. i adjust my own meds cuz my nurse never calls me back on time. i'm just getting tired of doing it all. my mom goes to her boyfriend's house every weekend since my dad died and worries every minute she is there. so it doesn't help her already fragile state of mind. any way we look at it it sucks. no advice from any doctor or nurse practitioner will give any of us any peace of mind bcuz we are the ones dealing with it, not them. so who ever can give me any hope, suggestions anything to make life a little easier i'd appreciate it. maybe something especially relating to my memory loss, tips, anything. i forget and lose everything. anyone know how to handle it? thanks guys. crazy kitties

good idea

Deb

I have had seizures for over 53 years. I have been on many drugs in that

time. At this time i am on keppra 1000mg twice a day lamictal 2000 mg twice

a day, zonegran 100mg twice a day. My seizures are still not under control. I

can not have surgery, as i am not a canidate for it. When you taking

meds for your seizures you really should not be drinking any booze> It will

be a pain, i know you will be cutting out the fun ( booze) part of life, but

there is other life to live. Go dancing at bars and drink cokes, some people

not know what ya drinking. Do not forget to get those blood test done so

you can see where your level is on your meds. Go away on trip but do not

forget you do have epilepsy ( that part of your life know). Let your

friends know you have epilepsy and what to do if you have one in front

of them. You should be able to get information off forum about epilepsy

and what type they are, and what to do if you have one. That would

be good for you to print off and bring with you on vacation, and let people

see it and what to do if ya have a seizure. Try not to get upset or

nervous, this could help bring on seizures.

Last edited:
Boy I started reading this thread and had to jump in! Robin and I share a similar mindset regarding the meds. For me less is more...more quality of life!! I was diagnosed in '97 (out of the blue and well over '21') What I have learned over these years is to listen to my body, have my family watch my blind spots(stress or tired), and go lightly on the meds. At first I was a toxic dump and had no life. I never left my room- that was unacceptable. For me, I do better with the seizures than the meds. I still have seizures and some are very bad but I have learned to find a soft landing. I also have a very supportive hubby!! So go on that trip, pace yourself. For me, the med side effects were more dibilitating than the events. Not leaving my room I missed way more than the times I seize and 'nap'. Everyday I am upright is a good day-if I do go down, I try for soft spot and get back up as soon as I can! E ruled my life for too long- I used to be afraid...now I am aware:rock:

Is it possible that this was a partial seizure, and if so, why would I be having it while being on the medication?:ponder:

Any comments?

Deb

:hello: Deb!

ALL AEDS WILL NOT STOP SEIZURES!

But ... some lucky individuals will become controlled
and not have any seizures at all while under the right
medication or medications. Others may experience
some seizures now and then regardless if they take
the medication(s).

NOTE: If at any time you are experiencing seizures
(an increase) after having been on the medication for
a long period of time (I am not in reference to being
titrated on to a new medication, but rather, what you
had been on) --- there could be many reasons why
and one should make an appointment with the
Neurologist or Epileptologist and go over the bases
again. It could be that the medication needs to be
adjusted, we've become older - lost weight or gained
weight, or there's been a change in the seizures, a
hormone change, age, and many other reasons why.

There's a difference between "once in a blue moon"
attack and something that's just now "starting to
show up". It's true, seizures can change. Your body
changes. And it's also true that your body can also
develop a tolerance / resistance to a medication or
medications after a long period of time, but that is
often easily fixed most of the time by adjustments
to most individuals. This is something that your Doctor
and you will have to work on.

But the important factor is, keeping a log so you won't
forget, on that Calendar!

KITTIES:

You need a huge bear hug!

hugs.gif

How many partial seizures to you have a day?

I seem to be still having my partial seizure activity at least 10 times/hr.....I get the sensation I'm moving, the like blood is rushing to my head. I have been on the Divalproex around a month now, so it should be well established in my body.

Is it my understanding that the Divalproex will stop the Grand Mal seizure (I've only had one...and that was early August), but won't stop the partial seizure activity.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around all this. Just that these sensations I have are so annoying.

Deb

I have had at least one seizure every night for the past 2 years. Medicine usually modifies the effect of the seizure and usually makes it less of a bother. Doctors will mess around w/ medication and the levels of meds to achieve a more desired and tolerable effect.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you won't have anymore soon.

I have been on several different seizure meds, have had mostly Partials and Complex Partials and some grand mals.

I have never had complete control over them even after brain surgery which removed all the damaged area of my left temporal lope. They just don't want to give up on attacking me now matter whats been done to stop them.

I sure wish you the best of luck in getting yours under control.

Tammy

Another question:

This has happened three times to me, and always when I'm laying down. I'm pretty sure I'm sleeping, and my entire body seems to start to ripple, like one big spasm. I come to enough to feel like I'm wailing a bit, but not fully awake. Lasts around 10 seconds. Is this seizure activity do you think, is this more than partial seizure activity.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom