Cannabis trigger??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
A few days ago I had a grand mal that lasted about 10 minutes. When we got to the hospital and I had a few more short grand mals. The question I pose is, is THC in cannabis a possible trigger? Because it's a possible coincidence, because I've been eating an edible nearly every night and I've been sleeping like a baby for 1-2 months. It's the only change I've made and I'm wondering if that could be a trigger?

Everyone is different of course, but generally speaking, folks use high CBD/low THC marijuana for seizures. Low-THC varieties are considered safer and more effective.

Aside from that, like any other drug, CBD can idiosyncratic side effects. Though there is limited testing out there, one study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26724101) reported that the most common serious possible side effect was status epilepticus, when a person has long or repeated seizures

That could be what has happened for you, or there could be something else going on. Unlike regulated meds, edibles aren't necessarily tested/regulated for consistency or contamination. And CBD can also interfere with some anti-seizure meds.

The THC component in cannabis is generally regarded as a seizure trigger. It is the CBD component that sometimes can help with certain types of seizures. However, for many people the CBD component can also trigger seizures. Then there is the whole issue of impurities that can be in the cannabis that may also cause seizures.

I have used cannabis for a few years now. Tonic seizures stopped.. I studied this somewhat. Some amount of that would break the blood brain barrier for CBD. Read all chemicals testing for

I generally use an edible with THC about an hour before I sleep, it helps me sleep and sleep is necessary to help combat epilepsy. But if it seems to be a trigger, I must find better ways to sleep properly. The CBD component may help with me, I'm still uncertain. I'm going to attempt some simple experiments with myself, as in not changing my daily routine and reduce the THC and CBD taken to a proper amount. We will see if either is a trigger.

hi finalpoet,

I've been using CBD for over a yr. and there's only 1-2% THC in it and the rest is CBD every time I use the CBD it makes me more relaxed and sleepy. I know everyone is different but I have never had a problem with the THC triggering seizures for me. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I'm sure it can work like any other med out there - It works for some people and others it doesn't. I've been on meds that other's use on here that work great for them but they either made things worse or didn't help me at all.

I tried marijuana when I was a teenager, for the fun reason, and nothing happened. All my friends were having a great time but I was just sitting there, feeling normal, watching them. I know CDC/THC is quite different but I just wonder if it would help with my seizure or not for the same reason?

I unable use it mix with my mediication.i would like try Kaver kaver tee but I n possible in k

Back
Top Bottom