Is CFRA the same as FMLA in terms of protecting your job?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
On June 15th I was sent a notice stating “Additionally, if you do not have a valid Driver License by Thursday June 23rd you must provide DMV notification indicating when your driver’s license will be re-instated. Otherwise I will proceed with termination proceedings”. I was on CFRA at the time I recieved the letter.

Doesn't CFRA protect a job just like FMLA?

Also, and possibly more importantly, is it legal for an employer to send their employee a written notice telling the employee the employer will begin termination procedures while the employee is on leave? In this case unpaid leave, specifically CFRA? I thought the employer would legally be required to wait until the employee comes back to work before they verbally or in writing informed the employee of any demand for a date that the employee will be able to drive again or as a result of not doing so, that the employer will begin termination procedures? The employee is limited to three months per year (12 months) to be on leave so it's not like the employee has an unlimited amount of time to stay off of the job.

Back
Top Bottom