A change in seizure activity

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey folks! I missed some of you crazy people!!

I have had one hell of a stressful year, a couple of moves, my Mother's sudden death and the loss of my grandmother.

My last TCs were right before Christmas, but in the last month I've had a different kind of seizure.

First I was sitting waiting for my kids to come join us for a tv show. Staring off, unresponsive. When I came to, I had no idea what had happened. About a week ago, I did something similar before I got out of bed. Then on Thursday just before leaving work this happened:

After you got the Qa line cleared and took care of your drawer you went over into Togo area and just stood there for a good 5 mins and wouldn't talk. Your face got flushed. So I asked if u was ok. You nodded you head. But you just had a blank look on your face like you was day dreaming.. I kept asking if ur ok you kept nodding your head telling me ya. You sat down on the bench in the Togo area. Then thas when u started to look better. Thas when u started looking for our key to the drawer.

Again I didn't recall this happening, my friend brought me home.

Oh, my husband just reminded me that in early February I did something after a nap, I kept making a kissing sound at him, had my eyes open but was unresponsive. It was short.

After each of these little 'episodes' my who day is like waking on thin ice. I can be ok, or it can end with me feeling very worn out, nauseas...almost hungover.

I KNOW I need to see a neuro, and I AM looking for one that is in-network. I WILL take the time off to go see one.

Sounds like some sort of simple partial seizure. Are you on medication for seizures? Have you had an EEG? You definitely need to see a neurologist, based on the symptoms you have described.

Stress is a major seizure trigger for me. On average I have about 6 seizures a month. A few years ago my grandma passed away and about 2 weeks after that I had to put my cat down. I had over 20 seizures that month. When my neuro saw all the seizures I'd had he was incredibly concerned. When I told him what had happened he said that the seizures were probably caused because of that but he was still worried and said that if things didn't go back to normal to let him know. My seizures did go down over the next month.

It does sound like you could be having complex partial seizure. I have those and black out during them not knowing anything that happened while I was having it when I come too.

I will just stare sometimes, I might respond to questions that I'm asked in some way but it's really not the right way (if that made sense) and I might get up and walk around.

About a week ago I had a complex partial in the morning shortly after I got out of bed. I fed the cats, which I remember. Then I started walking around the house not answering anything my husband was saying to me and started to get ready to go to a place that I was going to go that morning, which I don't remember doing. Next thing I sort of remember was my husband trying to get me back in bed telling me that I'd had a seizure and we weren't going out. I'd fallen asleep for about an hour and when I got up I asked my husband why he let me sleep in that long and he told me it was because I'd had a seizure.

Many times during a seizure my husband says I'll 'smack my lips together' which could be like you are doing when you make kissing sounds. I won't remember doing any of this.

Sometimes after a seizure I'll be very tired and just sleep the rest of the day. I might have a horrible headache too that will last for hours.

Sounds like some sort of simple partial seizure. Are you on medication for seizures? Have you had an EEG? You definitely need to see a neurologist, based on the symptoms you have described.

Yes, I am on medication, and have had EEGs. My EEGs have been 'normal'. One was done less than 24 hours after my first seizure cluster, and another was done about a year after. No medication, sleep deprivation, etc. No seizure, and normal patterns.

I am seeking a neurologist, and have finally found one kind of near by that is on my insurance plan.

It does sound like you could be having complex partial seizure. I have those and black out during them not knowing anything that happened while I was having it when I come too.

I will just stare sometimes, I might respond to questions that I'm asked in some way but it's really not the right way (if that made sense) and I might get up and walk around.

Many times during a seizure my husband says I'll 'smack my lips together' which could be like you are doing when you make kissing sounds. I won't remember doing any of this.

Sometimes after a seizure I'll be very tired and just sleep the rest of the day. I might have a horrible headache too that will last for hours.

Yep, I kind of blacked out, I don't remember the event at all. I was 'responding' to her, but not appropriately, like you said. So that makes perfect sense.

My husband has reported back to me that I have done the lip smacking quite a bit, often in my sleep.

I was lucky with the one at work, I did get quite tired, but since it was the end of a work day, I kind of put it off as normal. But, I crashed hard once I got in bed. Zzzzzzzz

I appreciate y'all's responses, I don't really know what to think about all of this. I'm super stubborn, so I don't want to change medications, but I will happily increase my dose to see if that helps. I wish I could do a week long EEG, but I'm not sure work will let me into the kitchen with out being able to shower daily LOL

Definitely important to check in with your neuro whenever your seizure patterns change or new types of seizures emerge. Agree with the others that they sound like complex partials. I hope you can get them under control with just a dose tweak.

:hugs:

Thanks, y'all, I will make myself a priority after my son's birthday and get those appointment scheduled.

Well, that didn't happen. :/

I buried myself in work trying to get enough hours to pay my bills. Came close a few times. Waiting on my tax return now :)

Anyway, the big seizure monster came to see me on Friday morning. I had a tc around 9am, then another a few hours later. Post-Ictal is the worst headache ever.

The head ache is a killer only them have them know.You got my full sympathy and empathy.
See nuro soon.I had eeg thing that took a week in hospital maybe talk about that with nuro

:hugs:

I hope you feel better soon.

Whenever I finally schedule another round of these tests, I really need to remember to schedule them around AF. That hasn't ALWAYS been a common factor, but it's the most common of factors.

Wow, that really sucks. I have complex partials and T/C seizures as well. I have had several med changes that really mess with me for months. I totally don't blame you for not wanting to change meds, but, at the same time if you are having changes in types and frequency of your seizures, you should probably see a neuro. I hope you feel better soon

I am working on settling my grandma's estate, once that is done I will be able to use the money to reach my deductible and get all these tests redone.

I just gotta bite the bullet, I'm not looking forward to the Med weaning and electrode glue...ugh and the seizures. At work. ugh!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom