Change in seizure pattern.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rock and roll

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I usually can expect about 15 Complex Partial seizures a month, but they never become tonic-clonic seizures. Last night I had one of my usual CP seizures, and right after I had a TC. I'm wondering if this is something I should call my Neurologist about, or if it can wait for my appointment next month.

Hi rock and roll,

Sorry to hear about the seizures last night. I've had complex partial seizures for over 40 yrs. and if my seizures ever got worse I let my neuro know about it because maybe your drug level could be a little low which in turn could have caused the tonic clonic seizure. Also I often have more seizures in the fall and winter compared to the spring and summer, have you ever noticed that? My Epileptologist calls them seasonal seizures and they happen because there's less serotonin outside in the fall and winter.
I don't know how long you've had complex partial seizures but my Dr. told me that they can sometimes lead into tonic clonic seizures but that's just my Drs. opinion. You may want to call your neuro and see if they can do a blood test to check your drug level and I would also tell your Dr. how many seizures you have had this month, along with telling the Dr. about the tonic clonic seizure. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I have on average around 6 complex partial seizures a month. I usually just sit and stare or maybe play with something near me, like the tv remote for example, during it or walk around. I'll have them when I'm doing crossword puzzles and see that I've scribbled all over the page.

Over about the last 6 months I have started shaking during some of my seizures. I'm not sure if they are considered tonic-clonic's or not because I'm not shaking very bad. At my appt 2 months ago my neuro adjusted the setting on my VNS and had some blood work done. The blood work came back normal but he said if it gets worse then he might make some changes with them.

Hi rock and roll,

Sorry to hear about the seizures last night. I've had complex partial seizures for over 40 yrs. and if my seizures ever got worse I let my neuro know about it because maybe your drug level could be a little low which in turn could have caused the tonic clonic seizure. Also I often have more seizures in the fall and winter compared to the spring and summer, have you ever noticed that? My Epileptologist calls them seasonal seizures and they happen because there's less serotonin outside in the fall and winter.
I don't know how long you've had complex partial seizures but my Dr. told me that they can sometimes lead into tonic clonic seizures but that's just my Drs. opinion. You may want to call your neuro and see if they can do a blood test to check your drug level and I would also tell your Dr. how many seizures you have had this month, along with telling the Dr. about the tonic clonic seizure. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Thank you, I've recently had a change in medication. I had Vimpat added right after my Veeg in May. I better follow up with my Neurologist. I'm being assessed for another surgery because my last one failed. I guess I always feel like I'm bugging him even though he's the best you could ever ask for.

Hi rock and roll,

I know each time I've had to change meds it has always triggered seizures for me until my body got used to the med, but there were sometimes when the med didn't work for me. Once I started Vimpat about 3 yrs. ago my complex partial seizures decreased a lot and I also have fewer absence seizures but I know everyone is different. I've also had 2 surgeries to help reduce my seizures. I had ultra sound surgery done back in 1994 but I know see they have gamma knife surgery going on which can sometimes be like same day surgery for some people and I am going to look into having it done. They use high frequency radio waves to destroy any brain damage or problems that could be triggering the seizures. The only time a person has to stay over night is if they aren't feeling well do to the radiation they receive from the surgery. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom