Changing Meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bluesbrkr

New
Reaction score
Hello All,

My neuro has me currently on Lamictal and Trileptal and said we are pretty much maxed out on both. They were working well for a while, but then I started having some breakthrough seizures. Small ones, but still. At that point, she added Topomax, but I really don't like that one... causing vision problems and other things.

Recently, I've been having lots of breakthrough seizures.. like 8 - 10 per day. they are simple partials. I'm thinking of asking her to switch meds. Any suggestions or anyone who has switched from Lamictal and Trileptal to another med?

I notice most people here take Keppra. I've never been on that. Maybe that's a good option.

thanks

I've had a few med changes before, but the only one i've been able to stick with is Keppra. It causes me to become angry sometimes but i've learnt to recognise when its the keppra thats causing it and somehow that helps me to chill out a bit. Every other med i've tried (Lamictal, Vimpat and now Tegretol) has caused me no end of problems but i still need to find something that works along with keppra.

I currently take 3000 mgs of Keppra, along with a small dose of Topomax. Keppra is also known as Kepprage, so be cautious if you do start taking Keppra it can cause anger issues and depressive episodes. But I also take an anti-depressant, too. And like Lou, Keppra has worked well for me after trying numerous other meds.

Ive been on Keppra for the past 13 years. I had alot of terriable headaches, but then got switched to Keppra XR, and the headaches then went away. I also take a Vitamin b-12 to help with the kepprage. Its helped me control my seizures pretty good.

Hi

I cant wait for my daughter to reduce keppra. Building up the dose to 1000mg in the first month was good. But march, april, and may seziures . Shes also taking lamactal 300mg daily before adding the keppra

Thanks for all the replies! I'm not sure what to do yet. Once I get decent insurance again next month, I will go see my neuro again and talk through the options.. then come back here and ask all of you! any other meds you've had good luck with? I'm allergic to dilantin, so I know that's out...

thanks again.

Ive taken other medications, but I cant recall all the names of them. I do know I tried Dilantin and it made me very angry! My mom said that was not a good one for me! If I recall right, I was middle school during that time period. It was around the age of 17/18 that my dr switched me to Carbatrol and Keppra combo. Those two together, worked great! Now Im on Keppra XR. I didnt have any grand mal seizures last year during my VEEG, so the dr felt as though I didnt need both medications. Plus I was on carbatrol for over 12 years and its not the best to be on that kind of medication for a long period of time due to it causing health problems. I recall taking Phenobarbatral.. (I probably spelled that one wrong!) That was when I was really little though.

Back
Top Bottom