Children with Epileptic Parents.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum, and my curiosity got the better of me ...

I'm 20 years old, and for as long as I can remember, my mum has had epilepsy. It's not the most serious type of Epilepsy, but it's been hard, and I've had to grow up a lot quicker than most people my age.

I was just wondering if there's people in the same situation as me?

There's lots of sites all over the internet for parents who have children with epilepsy, but I can't seem to find any for vice versa. :S

I guess I'm just looking for some advice. She often has seizures in stores, bumping into people, or knocking things over. None of our external family really seem to understand, and because she's a single parent - it's always myself that has to explain to her whats happened - and she never believes me! :(

Welcome Laura!
Does she take meds, see a neuro, have blood levels checked regularly, etc. ?

Hi MissLauraGrey, welcome to CWE!

I agree with qtowngirl -- a good place to start would be making sure your mother has an effective treatment plan in place. If she's currently on meds, it may be a good idea to review them with the neurologist.

If your mother is skeptical that she is having the seizures, you might want to ask a friend (hers or yours) to back up your observations. Even videotaping might be useful if it will help her to acknowledge what's going on. Other family members might benefit from a printout from the web or from her doctor describing Complex Partial Seizures, so they have a better understanding of what she (and you) are dealing with.

If your mother has a lot of seizures in stores, there's a possibility that one of her seizure triggers is fluorescent lighting. If that's the case, you could suggest that she wear polarized sunglasses (it can help in some cases) and be extra-careful when she's in those environments.

Back
Top Bottom