Circadian Rhythm

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I was doing some reading on eye movement, and my search took me to REM, and then to this interesting page.

http://www.soundsleeping.org/articles/circadian-rhythm.htm

I have read here that some people with seizures, are hit during sleep or as they are waking.

A study of the circadian rhythm revealed how a person's daily activities are controlled by his rhythms. Take for example the sleeping and waking up routines. The body's rhythm influence a lowering of the body temperature and this induces sleep. On the other hand, a person will most likely become wide awake when his body temperature increases especially in the morning.
The entire body of a human being is actually influenced by his circadian rhythm. Even the production of various hormones which affect body functions is influenced by the circadian rhythm. One such hormone known as cortisol affects many body functions like metabolism. Cortisol level in the body is highest in the morning and recedes during the day. A change in a person's sleeping habits will also change the peak levels of cortisol in his body.

Knowledge of how the body works can help a person regulate his schedule and even protect his health. Morning activities should be thoroughly checked and regulated especially for those who have high blood pressure and heart diseases because this is the time of the day when the cardiovascular system experiences changes and problems. Blood clots and blood pressure rise easily during mornings.

The knowledge that lack of sleep is important in controlling seizure triggers, I would think this would greatly interrupt the "rhythm". Or is there something that is lacking, and which is chemically interrupting this "rhythm".

Rebecca, tends to have her seizures during a consistent time frame, and I wonder if it is connected. I would think for some just a minor drop in blood pressure, glucose, etc could trigger this activity. Would there be a way to personally test yourself throughout the day?

Would setting an alarm clock interrupt the REM sleep, so that a seizure might be aborted?

Would setting an alarm clock interrupt the REM sleep, so that a seizure might be aborted?

That would be a double edged sword. The seizure might be aborted but then her sleep is disrupted, and that leads to excessive tiredness, which in turn is a trigger for some seizures!

This is what happens with people with sleep apnea, we get very little REM sleep because we are being awakened frequently!

Thank you for helping me to understand this more.

I guess I should learn to do a search first...

I like the idea and it does sound logical, I guess we must look at EVERY angle to try and find the method that works.

:flushed:Don't beat yourself up, you ARE researching, what's nice is when there are answers, they may not be the one we want to hear but it just shows someone somewhere did some homework.

Isn't that a strange pattern...
:ponder:

Seizures occuring at the start of REM sleep. To disrupt the patteren, prevent REM, but then no REM means no deep sleep and more seizures REM.

Back
Top Bottom