Cold medications?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any cold medications that are safe to take with Keppra XR? I was taking sudafed for years when I was on Carbatrol and Keppra together. But then after taking me off of Carbatrol, I had taken the sudafed with only taking keppra and it caused me to have seizures. The dr said the carbatrol was like a back up and what probably helped to prevent the seizures when I was taking it for all those before. But now only being on the Keppra XR, I just cant take it.

I have the worst cold ever! Plugged up, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, my ears are killing me, and Im coughing up alot of crap :( Ive been taking pain reliever and mucinex. But I dont know what else I can take to help the "cold" part.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Believe it or not, chicken soup really can help. Gargling 3 times a day with a warm saline solution works similarly. And studies show that folks who take vitamin C end up with slightly shorter colds and milder symptoms. Other than that, it's the usual -- rest and fluids, and hang in there for the next 10 days or so. The OTC cold medicines might help you feel a little better, but they won't make the cold go away any faster, and if they are antihistamines they will lower your seizure threshold. It's different for everyone of course, but the safe ones to take would be acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Motrin), saline nasal spray, Robitussin DM or Duratuss, or humidifiers/vaporizers. And it never hurts to check with your pharmacist or neuro, just to be sure.

I hope you feel better soon!

thanks!

Ive been using Tylenol or Ibuphrophen for the pain, and the past couple of nights Ive been using a humidifier at night, and saline nasal spray at night and sometimes during the afternoon if I get really pluggy and cant breath, I will put one squirt in my nose to help me make it through out the rest of the day. Ive been blowing my nose like crazy! So far in the past two days Ive gone through a huge box of kleenex! I have some benadryl here, I was going to try to take one of those to see if I can get a better night's sleep. The past few nights my nights have been on and off with waking up having to blow my nose and cough up a storm! I just pray this stuff goes away soon! Out of all five of us in the house, Im always the one who gets sick the most!

The main ingredient in Benadryl, diphenhydramine, can increase seizure frequency and even provoke first-time seizures. Be very careful if you decide to take it.

Believe it or not, chicken soup really can help.

I got a really bad cold about a year ago and the only thing that I wanted was chicken broth. I drank a ton of that and slept alot. It made me feel pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom