Coming of Medications?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aewoolf

New
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here. I have had only two seizures my whole life both in 2010. My doctor took a look at my latest EEG and said that it looked normal. I am out of state at school now so it will be a few months before I seriously talk to him about going off medications. But I was told by my father in the state of Massachusetts that when you start going off the meds you can't drive for 6 months. Is this true? I thought this was only when you had a seizure you can't drive for 6 months.. Thanks!

Hi aewoolf, welcome to CWE!

Your father is incorrect. In Massachusetts, the driving restriction is that you be 6 months seizure-free (it doesn't matter whether or not you are on medication during the 6 months). If your neuro reported the seizure to the DMV, then a report is required from the neurologist indicating that you may drive safely. If your neuro didn't report the seizure to the DMV and you still have your license, then it's "honor system" and the physician report isn't required.

That said, it can be a good idea to stay off the road in the first few months or so after you've tapered off completely. I tried tapering off meds after my 6-month period was up, and after a few weeks I had another seizure...

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom