Complex, complex partial question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question for all of those out there with complex partial seizures/epilepsy. I have had seizure since age 6 but they were Absence seizures till I was 13 or so when they became complex partial and were longer than my other seizures were when I was younger. Anyways, the last few days I have noticed, along with a friend, that I have had several shorter seizures where I don't have any warning to them or any that I know of. So the seizure happens and is noticed but when I'm told about it, I don't remember like i do with my longer complex partials. My neurologist has told me that I have complex partial seizures and that they can last 30sec-4min but the "shorter CP's" doesn't give me the same feeling as the longer ones too. They kinda come and go and I'm pretty normal afterwards. I always tell my doctor that I have shorter ones and longer ones and some where i walk around- but Dr. H has never said I have any Absence seizures anymore.. or at least according to E.E.G. and A.E.E.G testing.

Question now: Do any of you all with complex partial seizures ever have a shorter seizure with little or no aura and it still be a complex partial seizure?

Thank you all for your input on this :)
-Crystal
:e:

Yes my CPS are shorter (no auras). I used to have CPS with auras up until my senior year in high school. Since then I haven't had anymore auras. Now my CPS hits me without warning.
My CPS usually last 5 minutes or less. I also used to wander during my CPS. But that has stopped pretty much.

Although dangerous my CPS years ago seemed funny. I'd be in class on the third floor when I would get a aura. I would feel sick, and asked to go to the bathroom. When I left to go, I'd be temporarily blinded. I would loose awareness around me. But some how I knew where to go, go down stairs, etc. After a few minutes I would return to my class. This was my day throughout junior/senior high school. Just think of the old Benny Hill show. You know episodes with "blind person" navigating a busy street with no help.

Another perspective...

It is a fact - Seizures can change as we grow older,
sometimes they vanish, sometimes more seizures
appear, sometimes they worsen, sometimes they
improve, sometimes they become odd and unusual,
sometimes it's unknown; and sometimes it is the
result of medication(s).

Your best recommendation would be consulting with
your Neurologist / Epileptologist; whomever is treating
you --> be sure to make notes as far as when this
is happening and when you are experiencing this.

For females:

It is very helpful to make a note of such on calendars,
keeping track of your cycles, for there is such thing
as "Catamential Epilepsy" - and it can occur between
the cycle (ovulation), it can occur just before the cycle,
or during the cycle or right after the cycle.

So this will help the Doctors to determine the Women's
Issues pertaining to this matter, especially if it is Hormones.
If you are on birth controls or taking hormones or taking
any herbal / vitamin supplements - PLEASE let the Doctor
know about these as well - very important! Some of
these can actually be problematic and can create
problems - especially OTC (over the counter) items.

If you are drinking coffee, tea, sodas (this includes diet)
or alcohol - be honest with yourself - let the Physician
know. This includes those who smokes pot, weed, mj,
whatever you wish to call it (this does not imply to the
original poster - but to all who reads this thread
). There
is no greater rapport than to be honest and up front!
Physicians have heard it all, nothing has been "new" to
them - but to hide it from them will only upset them
and they do not see you as a "good patient" but rather
a dishonest patient and they will question you altogether.

Also worth noting ---> Has anything else been unusual
to your health lately? Wise and otherwise? Have you been
sick, down with a virus? cold? flu? whatever? Please so
note that as well. For such will lower the immunity factor
and can wreck havoc with the chemistry and hematology
of your system and can lower your seizure threshold as
well as messing up your medication(s).

Moreover - there IS such thing as "Time for a tune-up",
adjustments to be made on the medication(s). Just
as a car needs a tune-up every so XXXX miles; we
need a "tune up" every now and then.

Back