Confused about Lamictal XR

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

katzy,
what is your therapeutic target level with the Lamictal XR? My daughter is on the XR version and I do have to say we are happy that she only has to take her medications once per day. She is upping from 200mg to 250 mg in about 2 weeks. Good luck!

The doctor didn't tell me the target. My doctor wasn't there the day I called so her partner was substituting in for me. He said to call back when I'm on week 3.
Is your daughter having any side effects?

Paige had some dizziness when she increased each dose while we were getting to her therapeutic level. It has pretty much gone away. I am expecting she will experience some dizziness when we move to the 250mg but am very hopeful that it will subside after a week or two on the new level. She had some acne around her chin but I am not sure if that is from Lamictal or from being a teen, running (sweating) and inconsistently using her face wash. I did feel there was a very short period of time where she was not as quick in her response time as usual. When I would ask a question, it seemed like it took her longer than usual to respond. I wonder if that really happened or if I was just me "looking" for side effects that were not even there! I do not see this at all anymore!

I am happy with the results of Lamictal so far. The side effects have been very minimal. Although she is still having morning myoclonics every few weeks, it has been a good AED so far. I am anxious to see if the next increase will help to reduce the morning myoclonics even more.

Have you experienced any side effects?? How is it going so far??

Paige had some dizziness when she increased each dose while we were getting to her therapeutic level. It has pretty much gone away. I am expecting she will experience some dizziness when we move to the 250mg but am very hopeful that it will subside after a week or two on the new level. She had some acne around her chin but I am not sure if that is from Lamictal or from being a teen, running (sweating) and inconsistently using her face wash. I did feel there was a very short period of time where she was not as quick in her response time as usual. When I would ask a question, it seemed like it took her longer than usual to respond. I wonder if that really happened or if I was just me "looking" for side effects that were not even there! I do not see this at all anymore!

I am happy with the results of Lamictal so far. The side effects have been very minimal. Although she is still having morning myoclonics every few weeks, it has been a good AED so far. I am anxious to see if the next increase will help to reduce the morning myoclonics even more.

Have you experienced any side effects?? How is it going so far??

hehe I think that's just you looking for side effects. What type of seizures does she have? I have Partial seizures that end in Tonic-clonics. I think the acne might be lamictal because I suffered from really bad blackheads when I was on immediate release Lamictal from October 2009-Jan 2012. My face cleared up after I stopped taking it. I'll let you know if it worsens :)

Today was my first day on Lamictal and it's going fine.No side effects so far. I'm on 50 mg right now. I'm still a little shaken up from my last seizure on Thursday. It was a very violent tonic clonic seizure. I was between my bed, a tower fan and a desk and had my EEG electrodes on my head. So many cuts on my forehead and my nose is bruised. My sister didn't want to mess up my electrodes so she didn't put anything under my head. It lasted a little longer too.. about 5 minutes. So I'm still recovering from it and I'm having trouble retrieving words.

Last edited:
The acne was something I experience right off when trying the lamictal. I had such really bad acne that It hurt so bad, my dr saw it right off the bat. Said that was also part of the side effects of the medication, but for me, it was too severe and with the large swollen glands I had in my neck, she said it was a no go.

Paige has been diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. She is prone to absence, myoclonics and tonic-clonic. Her EEG showed small spikes of absence - 1 to 2 seconds. Her dad and I never saw her have an absence - feel so bad that we never saw them. The myoclonics are what brought her to the neurologist. She had morning myoclonics for about 3 weeks and she knew something was "wrong". So proud Paige knew to read her body and was persistent with me that something was up. We were VERY lucky that Paige was put on medication right away. To date she has not had a tonic clonic - knock on wood.

I am so sorry you are still feeling the effects from last week. Hopefully you will start feeling a little better each day. I am glad to hear so far so good with the Lamictal. Best of luck to you. Please keep me updated on how you are doing :)

I've had some mild chin acne with Lamictal too. Never had acne as a teenager, so it's a bit of a bummer to have it in my forties...

The acne was something I experience right off when trying the lamictal. I had such really bad acne that It hurt so bad, my dr saw it right off the bat. Said that was also part of the side effects of the medication, but for me, it was too severe and with the large swollen glands I had in my neck, she said it was a no go.
ouch! I think I know what you're talking about. My cousin had that and she had to take medicines internally to get rid of that. Good thing you stopped taking it :)

Paige has been diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. She is prone to absence, myoclonics and tonic-clonic. Her EEG showed small spikes of absence - 1 to 2 seconds. Her dad and I never saw her have an absence - feel so bad that we never saw them. The myoclonics are what brought her to the neurologist. She had morning myoclonics for about 3 weeks and she knew something was "wrong". So proud Paige knew to read her body and was persistent with me that something was up. We were VERY lucky that Paige was put on medication right away. To date she has not had a tonic clonic - knock on wood.

I am so sorry you are still feeling the effects from last week. Hopefully you will start feeling a little better each day. I am glad to hear so far so good with the Lamictal. Best of luck to you. Please keep me updated on how you are doing :)
I hope Paige never will have a tonic-clonic because it's just so hard seeing my mom suffer with me, even though I'm the one having seizures. She woke up really early in the morning to make sure I ate my breakfast because she thinks that was part of the reason why I had mine on Thursday; it's like being a little kid all over again. I don't want you going through waht my mom is going through :)
Today was my first day back to college, and I made the mistake of taking 2 lab classes in the same day. so about 6 hours of standing still and listening to professors. I don't know what's causing it but I'm having a headache since ~12 PM EST. Took one Advil, but it's not helping. All that commuting to and from the city and dehydration made it worse I think.

BTW My doctor's partner called today to ask how I was doing because my doctor is on vacation ;)

I've had some mild chin acne with Lamictal too. Never had acne as a teenager, so it's a bit of a bummer to have it in my forties...

I guess it's an unwritten side effect of Lamictal.

Last edited:
For me, the swollen glands and the acne or sores, whatever you want to call them, were the worst things ive experienced when it came to side effects of a medication, that I can recall. The sores got so bad, that I had scabs on them. They hurt, and whenever I washed my face, they would break open and bleed. :( It wasnt good at all. I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

I hope Paige never will have a tonic-clonic because it's just so hard seeing my mom suffer with me, even though I'm the one having seizures. She woke up really early in the morning to make sure I ate my breakfast because she thinks that was part of the reason why I had mine on Thursday; it's like being a little kid all over again. I don't want you going through waht my mom is going through :)

Today was my first day back to college, and I made the mistake of taking 2 lab classes in the same day. so about 6 hours of standing still and listening to professors. I don't know what's causing it but I'm having a headache since ~12 PM EST. Took one Advil, but it's not helping. All that commuting to and from the city and dehydration made it worse I think.

All we can do is keep Paige on the path of smart lifestyle choices. She is aware of what can trigger a tonic-clonic and she is working more and more at keeping her sleep schedule more on track. I am sure it is hard for her - being a teen - and moving forward with the new challenges she faces. Early nights are not something she enjoys but she knows sleep is very important. As a mom it is hard for me to see Paige work thru her "new normal" but I am so proud of her personal outlook, drive to succeed and the fact that, in her mind, her "new normal" is not much different than her old normal. She is clear to say she is the same kid - nothing has changed :)

Exciting to hear you are back into the college routine. What year are you? What are you studying? Keep hydrated - important! Do you have any accommodations set for you in college? I have been wondering is Paige's 504 plan will follow her to college. Are you living at home or on campus? Good luck in your studies!

~Beth

I would take it in the mornings until you get a hold of your Dr. or a nurse. And If you get sick or feel dizzy get somebody to take you to the Doctors. This one could be way off. Please. Get some blood levels. They did not go get a masters for nothing. Keep us up.

For me, the swollen glands and the acne or sores, whatever you want to call them, were the worst things ive experienced when it came to side effects of a medication, that I can recall. The sores got so bad, that I had scabs on them. They hurt, and whenever I washed my face, they would break open and bleed. :( It wasnt good at all. I wouldnt wish it on anyone.
Omg that's terrible :( Does Keppra have any side effects?
All we can do is keep Paige on the path of smart lifestyle choices. She is aware of what can trigger a tonic-clonic and she is working more and more at keeping her sleep schedule more on track. I am sure it is hard for her - being a teen - and moving forward with the new challenges she faces. Early nights are not something she enjoys but she knows sleep is very important. As a mom it is hard for me to see Paige work thru her "new normal" but I am so proud of her personal outlook, drive to succeed and the fact that, in her mind, her "new normal" is not much different than her old normal. She is clear to say she is the same kid - nothing has changed :)

Exciting to hear you are back into the college routine. What year are you? What are you studying? Keep hydrated - important! Do you have any accommodations set for you in college? I have been wondering is Paige's 504 plan will follow her to college. Are you living at home or on campus? Good luck in your studies!

~Beth
Yes she needs to sleep at least for 9 hours even if she doesn't like it. I don't like it but my body demands it so I need to:(

Thanks! I'm a sophomore and I'm studying Nursing (RN-BSN) . I want to do either CRNA or NP-Neurology in the future. I don't have any special accommodations but I tell my professors that I have Epilepsy. I also tell them how to take care of me if I have a seizure in lab/class and about the medical ID bracelet I'm wearing. Does Paige wear one?I'm living at home in Yonkers, which is right next to NYC, so transportation is not a problem for me.What's a 504 plan?

I would take it in the mornings until you get a hold of your Dr. or a nurse. And If you get sick or feel dizzy get somebody to take you to the Doctors. This one could be way off. Please. Get some blood levels. They did not go get a masters for nothing. Keep us up.

Yeah I take it in the mornings :)The doctor that called in the morning knows me from the past, He's seen me once when my doctor wasn't available. Sorry, but I didn't understand the last 2 sentences :ponder:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom