Considering a Medication Change

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

doglover

New
Reaction score
My 19 year-old daughter was diagnosed with generalized tonic-clonic epilepsy 5 years ago. After trying Keppra and Lamictal without success, she has been 4+ years seizure free on 1,250mg of Depakote daily. Because of the side effect of weight gain on the Depakote, she wants to go off of it. We will be seeing a new neurologist next month as her pediatric neurologist retired. Should we ask for a change? Should we request another EEG to see if maybe she has outgrown her epilepsy (the last EEG was 5 years ago). Would she have to go off all medication in order to get an accurate EEG? She also has type 1 diabetes and Level 1 autism that she manages. She lived at home last year and attended community college. She is planning on living on campus at a college 30 miles away next year. She also struggles with depression which the weight gain makes worse. I go back and forth with thinking we should just be happy everything is under control vs. making a change so she can feel better about herself.

I can appreciate the annoyance of weight gain. I'm on two medications that have this as a side effect, and if I'm not conscientious regarding eating and exercise my weight does start to increase. Mind you, I'm well into adulthood and it is much easier (I believe) for an adult to "follow the rules" than for a teenager. You mention your daughter has type I diabetes, so she is probably already following a very healthy diet that it is low in fat and sugars while not over-eating, but what about exercise? This is a very important component in maintaining a healthy weight and/or losing weight, and can go a long way toward helping one feel better about themselves. The general rule for weight loss is to expend more calories than one is taking in, however your daughter's diabetes will require that this be done carefully and under guidance so that she knows (if she doesn't already) how to adjust her insulin levels while undergoing an exercise and weight loss program.

As for whether she should or should not go off her medication, this really should be discussed with your daughter's neurologist. A repeat EEG may be helpful in the decision whether to withdraw the medication or not. As you know there are other medications out there they may not cause your daughter to gain weight, but until a different one is tried there is no way to know whether it will control your daughter's seizures.

Hi doglover,

Just like your daughter I've been on all the same meds and the Depakote did wonders for me stopping my seizures but I had to go off the drug because it caused me to lose 70 lbs. in 4 months. I was then put on Diamox (DAW) and it has done wonders for me as long as I take it with the old drug mysoline.
The best thing to do is ask your daughter's neuro to do a DNA test on her that will show what seizure meds will be the best for her with the least side effects. Also you may want to try the medical marijuana (CBD) I've been on it for over a yr. and last yr. I had the least amount of seizures since I've had epilepsy for the past 45 yrs. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom