constant simple partials

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mporter

New
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have simple partial seizures many times a day, every day. Mine are of the sensory type, feeling as if a mild shock is traveling through one arm to my fingers. If it is particularly strong, I also have an anxious feeling in my abdomen which sometimes travels to my chest where it becomes a tightness. But for the medication I take, I would have complex partial seizures which generalize. The medications have controlled the complex partials but not the simple partials. Although it isn't perfectly clear where the seizure focus is, it is probably in the parietal lobe, sensory strip.
Does anyone else have similar simple partials or other types of simple partials that happen multiple times every single day? Has anyone ever been diagnosed with "aura continua?"
I would really like to hear from anyone with similar experiences.
Thanks!

Yes I have the same thing. My meds have controlled all complex partials, but I go through days where I get simple partials for hours. Mine are deja vus, with nausea. I'm trying new meds to try to get those under controlled (really hate them). Can I ask what med/s you are currently on? I am on Tegretol and Topamax (these simple partial clusters started after I started Topamax) and have just added Lamictal.

Really hate them, too! I take Vimpat -- 300 mg/day. I've tried Zonegran -- no appetite and very, very depressed; Lamictal -- tolerated it OK except for some strange language and writing difficulties; then added Keppra to the Lamictal -- Keppra made me so sleepy that I was falling asleep at my desk at work and when my neurologist increased it (!) it made me so nauseated and dizzy I could barely move; now Vimpat. None of them have controlled the simple partials. I changed neurologists after the Keppra mess. My new one prescribed Vimpat. But again, none of them have made any real impact on the seizures.
Do your simple partials show on your EEG? Although epileptogenic activity showed on my EEG, it couldn't be correlated with my report of the simple partial spells. My first neurologist never really believed that I was having simple partials. Long story but mine are atypical in that the symptoms are on the same side as the side where they THINK the seizure focus is. My current neurologist believes me although I had to provide her with the research showing that sensory seizures can show symptoms on the same side as the focus. I'm really frustrated as you can tell. Sometimes, I'll have 30 to 40 simple partials in one day. I have at least some every single day and have for over a year now. Do you find your thinking slowed by the meds? I've resisted trying more than one since the Keppra thing because I'm a lawyer and I already feel I've lost a lot of intellectual ability. Plus I'm 55 years old so I thing I'm more sensitive to drugs in general. Sorry to ramble.

I really don't know. The day I had my EEG, I had two aura simple partials just like these in the waiting room--maybe I had them during the EEG but it's possible I may have missed them with all the flashing lights, and mine are pretty subtle sometimes when they aren't happening all in a row. I do know my EEG had a lot of spikes and was a grade 3 dysrhythmia (so, pretty messy with abnormal activity). I've actually come around to hoping they ARE psychogenic--if they are, maybe I can make them go away through counselling or something!! I seriously want them to go away by any means whatsoever :) My clusters only happen every month or so, sometimes for 2 or three days in row, and then go away for a while.

Hi all,
I have simple partial seizures many times a day, every day. Mine are of the sensory type, feeling as if a mild shock is traveling through one arm to my fingers. If it is particularly strong, I also have an anxious feeling in my abdomen which sometimes travels to my chest where it becomes a tightness. But for the medication I take, I would have complex partial seizures which generalize. The medications have controlled the complex partials but not the simple partials. Although it isn't perfectly clear where the seizure focus is, it is probably in the parietal lobe, sensory strip.
Does anyone else have similar simple partials or other types of simple partials that happen multiple times every single day? Has anyone ever been diagnosed with "aura continua?"
I would really like to hear from anyone with similar experiences.
Thanks!
I have only had simple partials and they are pretty much controlled by a fairly low dose of Lamictial. Before I started Lamictial sometimes they would go on for hours or days. The neuro is sure mine originate in the parietal lobe because that is the part of my brain that was damaged by a stroke 3 1/2 years ago. The partials stated within 24 hours of the stroke and they feel the same as the stroke except I now have phantom odors and occassionally feel like I am on the edge of the bed and am afraid I will fall out, even when I am in the middle of the bed.

I have never heard the aura continua. Does it mean continous auras?

I have only seen this neuro 2 times and I don't think I brought it to her attention exactly how long my seizures last.

Since my huge breakthrough mess in October, I have simple partials everyday (complex partials every few days or so they tell me). They used to be few and far between. Off and on all day, my lips tingle, the back of my left thigh tingles, and I also have tingles on both my arms. The tingles on my arms are in small isolated spots that appear to travel in a random pattern. Not like bugs on the skin but close. I wish I could stop them; they are really distracting. I agree with Lindsay. There are days when I wish I could just go to the Clinical Psychologist in town and get it over with. I am trying to get an appointment with her - just in case. She is the only one for over an hour (we measure distance in hours) and she has a waiting list.

I have those tingling sensations too and my neuro has told me they are caused by the anticonvulsants.

I hope it is the meds. My neuro didn't indicate one way or another. He types as I talk; he seems more interested in the memory lapses and the problems that go with them. I go to Denver for a second opinion on the 18th. I have tried several different med combos since October. I just about have everything in my life together (for now) except for the "What part of "in my head" are we talking about?"

For the tingles, my neuro also told me it was the meds and to eat high potassium foods (I take a supplement every other day but I'm on a couple of potassium depleting meds and you have to be cautious with potassium supplements)

Thanks for the input! I agree that it would be really nice to get rid of these simple partials, especially when they occur in clusters. From my understanding, "aura continua" refers to simple partial seizures that continue without abating for a long period of time. I'm not sure of the required period of time.

Back
Top Bottom