Couple of questions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trinity

New
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible that instability of the knees is a symptom of epilepsy or possible side effect of medication. I have just begun trying to keep a seizure diary. I am so confused as to what may or may not be a seizure and therefore don't know if to enter certain things as seizures or not. I decided to put "or symptoms" next to the "type of seizures experienced" heading so that I can include everything, even if it's perhaps just a side effect of medication, and not look like a total dope.
Anyway, as for the instability of the knees, it's something that i've experienced sporadically since I was a child. I could be standing or walking and suddenly one or both knees 'collapse' or become unstable, although it's never enough to fully collapse to the ground it feels as if it's due to some kind of weakness of muscle, being unable to hold up my legs. I haven't ever suffered any trauma from physical injury although the severity of my seizures as a child meant that I had to go to physiotherapy to help me relearn to walk properly (don't think I ever lost total ability to walk but I did have difficulty) so for ages I just thought it might be from when I was younger and never mentioned to my neuro. I mentioned it once to my neuro a few years ago and he didn't think a lot of it but now that i've started with the 'seizure diary' I want to include anything and everything that may be pertinent.
As I began this post I lost track of what I was trying to say and it took 5 minutes to figure it out. Perhaps just normal confusion but it's just another little thing that I am going to keep track off. That way when I see my neuro he'll have the whole big picture to look at and hopefully know if what i'm experiencing is normal or if it's part of something bigger, to do with Epilepsy or otherwise.
I have been having a whole gamet of different types of 'events' that I figure if i'm having simple partial or any other type of seizures (other than the t-c I have been diagnosed as having since early childhood) it may shed a light on it as a whole, even if each individual thing seems like 'not much to worry about'.
Does any of that make sense?

Last edited:
Sorry, i've tried to edit a couple of times and have been unable. My post says that I have a couple of questions but I don't know what the other thing was - another of those confused and forgetful moments.

meds do have possible side effects for sure
and I have heard of "drop seizures" which are a type of catalepsy (?) maybe that's the wrong term
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonic_seizure
you may have a limited type of this seizure that is mildly controlled
maybe your meds control the t-c type but have altered them into this atonic-drop type

I've found nystagmus and loss of balance are common w epilepsy meds though
but that doesn't indicate loss of muscle control quite

Hi Trinity

My left knee "gives out" often, which fits with my tle being predominantly on the right side (but bi-lateral). I had put it down to a balance issue, which I also have, but it's more like the left leg "forgets how to walk" for a moment. There is no pain with it, and it doesn't feel like my knee is collapsing, but that I'm going to fall for no reason. I definitely think your symptom is worth mentioning to your neuro.

Your forgetfulness while writing your post above is also typical of sps, and again, worth noting and mentioning. In my E diary, I call that either "absence seizure" or "inability to think clearly" (you will know which fits better).

From what I've read here, it's not unusual for your E to change over time. I'm only new to it (18mths and counting!) so only minor changes so far.

Good luck!

It could be the meds or it could be that your knee alignment is slightly off, if it happens a few times in a short period of time ie. 3 times in 10mins its more likely to be knee damage I think. My #R knee gives out quite alot but because of knee damage, walking round corners is the worst!

I'd def say it's worth mentioning to your neuro again then. I know what you mean about what to put in the seizure diary though, it's hard differentiating between whats to do with epilepsy, whats to do with aed side effects & whats to do with something else entirely.

As far as your knees I'm not sure, how ever keeping a seizure diary here's what I do.

When I first started mine I would use a small pocket calendar that would go week from week, I got a Palm Pilot a few years ago and that's what I use now.

I keep little things in it that I would do from day to day, the main reason I do that is because my memory is really bad so it can be used like an actual diary also and I'll beable to 'remember' things that I've done. Also this could be used to see if I did any sort of activity which could have possibly brought on the seizure.

Alot of things that bring a seizure on for me are stressful or depressing situations. Doing alot of strenious activity like doing seirous house cleaning scrubbing the bathtub, windows or walls and doing alot of yard work are some examples. Going to big events - weddings, concerts, places that I'm doing alot of walking, have alot of people there or things like that

I'd use a highlighter in a certian color on the days when I knew for sure that I had a seizure, in the Palm I can mark it in a certain color. I write down a small discription of what I did during the seizure. For example if I spoke odd, drooled, shook, stared off into space or other things like that. That way when my neuro asked me what I did during the seizure I'd beable to know what to tell him.

On days where I think I may have had a seizure I'll mark it with a different color and write down what I did or feeling so also when the neruo asks me I'll beable to tell him.

I don't know if everyone keeps one like this but I find it's very useful so I know what's going on.

okay so this is what i've recorded so far, and this is only since I started writing things down on Saturday evening. Any comments or advice would be appreciated because I haven't really kept a diary of this sort of thing before.

The front of the diary allows you to describe the different seizures/symptoms experienced and this is what I have listed for each. A - Confusion: forgetting what I am saying midsentence /thought or confusion with here I am or what I am doing.
B - Numbness or tingling sensations and tremors of the lip/face. C - Jerking movements and twitches of limbs or head. All the symptoms i've experienced have been whilst awake but the diary (which I received from Epilepsy Action Australia) says to put the letter A, B, C or D (I haven't listed anything alongside D as yet, haven't needed to) under awake or asleep so that when looking back you and your dr will know what type of seizure (or symptom) was experienced and whether it was at sleep or when awake.

Date: Time: Awake Asleep How Long Comments
16.7.11 10:47pm A 5 mins had headache and
ended up having
paracetamol earlier.

11:14pm A - confusion/forgetful
midthought. Tired
off to bed

17.7.11 8am C single twitch. Twitch in right
hand when going to
type on keyboard.

12:20pm A Talking and when
momentarily (10secs)
distracted by ringing
phone forgot what I
was talking about.

12:30pm A 30sec Daughter asked for
newspaper and I
picked up the bowl.
When she reminded
me I was confused

5:30pm B 3min Numbness and
burning sensation on
left side of face.

10:30pm B 2min As above

10:45pm B 2min As above

18.7.11 12:15pm B 1min Slight tingling and
burning in right hand

12:50pm B 30sec left cheek
(numb/burning)

12:53pm B 30sec As above

2:40pm B 10sec Right side face
near lip
numb/tingling

2:42pm B 30sec left cheek numb

3:00pm B 15sec right wrist burning

8:30pm B 3min numb/tingling
moving from
left side of face
to lip and right side

@Trinity

wow - that's a detailed diary
I had no idea those types of things may be seizure related
I ought to get a bit more detailed with my diary... as far as why I keep a diary, I'm still not sure :/ I haven't quite had a regular neurologist/epileptologist

Back
Top Bottom