Dandruff shampoo fights epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Okay.. I went shopping for shampoo. Not just any shampoo mind you, not even the cheapest, or the most expensive. What I am looking for is the shampoo that has selinium and zinc in it. Head and Shoulders... Nope...Selsun Blue.... Nope on all of them. Couldn't find selinium in the ingredients label at all.

I did pick up one called: DHS Zinc Shampoo
Suppose to be theraputic and controls Dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis

Perhaps the one mentioned in the article is a prescriptive shampoo. Maybe I should just blend all of the garlic, onion, broccoli, etc together and make a juice, or shampoo out of it. We just might be able to market it...

It's not clear from the article whether the ZnPy can be useful to nerve cell when used as a shampoo. It does mention that the cells needed to be stripped of their potassium channels, so I think it's more likely that the ZnPy would need to be applied directly to the cell. Whether this would involve ingestion or direct application i'm unsure - we may have to wait and see! But it's definitely good news for epileptics everywhere! :clap:

People ! let's not jump the gun and wash our heads 6 times a day( though i can't see the harm hygiene wise). They say '' the cells need to be bathed in Znpy'' . As far as i know my scalp isn't porous and unless i inject "head and shoulders" in my meninges or into the base of my skull, i don't think it's going to reach the brain. come to think about it , if i snort head and shoulders , it can enter the meningeal epithelium at the top of my nose and enter the brain. But i risk CSF rhinorrhea and a painful drawn out death.
But nevertheless an interesting study. Point for further research. Do they have any animal studies?. yes , it can cure seborrheic dermatitis , but epilepsy ? i remain healthily sceptical unless i see some evidence.

Last edited:
Doc - you are hilarious to boot!

:roflmao:

i know . I'm HEAD and SHOULDERS above the rest :roflmao:

Walgreens

A friend recommended T-Sal because I had an outbreak of rosacea because of all the dastardly perfume wearers. I have been using it all over lately because the doctor has me on Zyrtec, and I have a rash. I'm thinking about going back to Benadryl, because I don't react to it.
I think I will take a look at a different formulation for shampoo, as it seems like this would be something useful to look into. I just had a nocturnal seizure last Wednesday, and my sleep has been the pits (compounding the problem.)
:pop:

Just went to Walgreens yesterday, and found that there were some with Selenium and some with zinc. Didn't want to buy both at once, but I am thinking about mixing up a wicked batch of shampoo.
Shelley

This has been a very interesting discussion. Alex has to use dandruff shampoo and has a funky foot problem he has been battling for a year now, it kind of went away in the summer but is back after wearing socks/shoes.
My husband's sister has suffered migraines for years and she takes a zinc supplement everyday and swears by it for her nerves, etc.
Kathie

As far as i know my scalp isn't porous and unless i inject "head and shoulders" in my meninges or into the base of my skull,

I don't understand this statement. It is my understanding that anything on the scalp can be absorbed through the skin. Chemicals have been known to, so why wouldn't certain minerals. There is blood circulating there.

OMG. If we tell the shampoo companies this one, we'll all be paying $300 for our dandruff shampoo. Shhhhhhhh!

What i meant was ,
For cells to be bathed in the "minerals" your shampoo would have to penetrate your scalp , the 5 layers of scalp fascia , your skull,three layers of meninges and then reach your brain. Blood supply only ensures the part supplied is kept alive. The top layer of your skin is composed almost exclusively of dead cells. when you wash your hair ( or indeed any part of your body) you are merely sloughing away the dead cells in the topmost layer. The blood supply lies in the lower layers of your skin (dermis). Very few substances can penetrate the skin and reach the dermis to get absorbed. In fact when you use an ointment , very little of the actual drug reaches the dermis and is absorbed.And the brain is protected from the entry of blood borne substances by a blood brain barrier which relatively few drugs can penetrate (which explains why there are so few neurological drugs compared to other medications). So what i was trying to say was that no matter how much shampoo you use , it's not enough to "bathe" your cells in Znpy.

Last edited:
What about this one: Some people color their hair. Has anybody ever looked at the 30 or so chemicals on a box of hair coloring?! This stays in there for a while. Would this be a penetration beyond the hair follicles or would it stop at that point?

I've never noticed zinc on the ingredients, but I never looked for it, either.

While I switched

shampoos, the only difference I noticed is that it is foamier, thinner, more prone to get in my eyes, and maybe leaves my hair a little softer.
The only real difference is when I began taking the actual mineral supplements.
I have had to be very careful as to what I put on my skin, because I break out in a rash almost instantly. I'm back to my regular shampoo. (T-Sal)

Hair colouring stays there for a while because it takes that long for the entire length of your hair to grow back to its original color. I'd avoid permanent hair color because it has been shown to be carcinogenic in some studies. (My dad has non hodgkin's lymphoma and the only carcinogen we could find in his lifestyle was the hair dye).Hair grows in three phases , telogen , catagen and anagen. The anagen phase lasts about 3 months and is the phase of active growth. The catagen phase is the resting phase and the hair stays put for a variable amount of time. the telogen phase is when the hair dies and falls off. Because different hairs grow at different paces and in different phases , you don't notice it when they do fall off. And since this entire cycle takes about 6-10 months for complete replacement of your hair on the scalp , that's how long "permanent" hair colour lasts. Drug induced hair fall happens because some of your hair gets stuck together in one of the phases and fall off in clumps. In chemo patiens ,for example, their hair gets locked in the anagen phase , and since chemo drugs stop cells from multiplying , ythe anagen hair cells cannot grow and the hair falls out.

But ... But ... But ...

... hair cells cannot grow and the hair falls out.

Unless of course .... you happen to have TEENAGER(S)
residing in your house! A spouse that goes way over
the budget! An obnoxious boss / co-worker(s)! Asinine
drivers who should not be driving! And many other reasons
for us to lose our hair!

:D

<--- Miss Smarty pants going into the "Smart Alecky" corner
with a box of Godiva chocolates again for punishment!

Back
Top Bottom