Decided to share this.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tam bam

New
Reaction score
I work on the 2nd floor of a two story building and today I went downstairs and since I have been having really bad seizures I have been using the elevator for safety reasons. I was coming back up from downstairs and when I pressed the 2nd floor button and the doors just closed shut then the power surged in the building. Well the elevator stopped. Then there was no power for a brief second and then the lights came back on but the elevator still did not move. I then decided to press the 2nd floor button again and still no movement. I started to press the 1st floor button but still no movement. I then pressed these buttons again with the same results. I waited for a minute but remained calm. I kept telling myself not to panic or I will make the situation much worse for myself. I then decided to press the emergency button and dispatch 911. After a few minutes the Fire Dept. came and rescued me but they were surprised about how calm I remained throughout the whole process. Quite frankly so am I but I am glad I did because I probably would have had a seizure if I did freak out in the elevator and then that would have made the situation much worse.

Good on you for staying calm! It's definitely not an easy thing to do. We have chronic elevator problems in my building, and I've seen lesser mortals quake in fear over a 10 second halt in operations:lol:

Yeahhhh

for you! Being stuck in an elevator isn't a cool thing! Too much stress for anyone, I think. Way to go! I hope the power issues are resolved though...

Oh boy!! tam bam, I admire your contol! I think i might be one of those lesser mortals occb speaks of:ponder: Thank goodness you weren't stuck there for too long, although I guess long enough (groan) Not a nice thing to go through I shouldn't imagine.

Good for you!
I've been stuck in elevators so many times and ALWAYS freak out. I have an extreme fear of small spaces, so I'm usually a little creeped when its moving. So when I feel it grind to a halt I start bawling!

This one time me and chaf were in the elevator of my parents building, and my dad is the caretaker/manager of the building. Well the elevator hold a max capacity of 10 people. We had 10 people but the other 8 were from a larger size family. It was mid winter so we all had parkas on and then the elevator stops. Well I stood there shaking, ramming the emergency button, then my dad came to meet us on the floor we were on. And the second I heard his voice all I could scream was *daddy daddy!* I was 19, so that looked funny.

But we were in there for a whole hour and a half. Everyone sweating when the fan turned off *which made me think we were slowly suffocating* and some people need to pee, and here I am, huddled in a ball in the corner crying. The second we got on I stood on the floor and totally fell to my knees and fainted. Lol

Aaah! Rae, just reading your description of being stuck with 10 people makes my skin crawl.

Tam Bam I've never been in that situation, but I sure don't want to find out. Good for you for staying calm and finding your inner happy place.

Rae -- in that situation I probably would have reacted the same. It's one thing to have just one or two on there, but full capacity in fluffy parkas is too claustrophobic.

occb -- couldn't agree more. Fluffy parkas too much in that situation.

tam bam & Rae -- I have to try and sleep soon (being in australia) your descriptions are going to give me nightmares! :noevil:

Thanks to everyone. Rae: I couldn't imagine if more people were on the elevator and what I would have done. I probably would have freaked then. It is one thing if it is just me but many people and then we have a problem.

Everyone is calling me "Elevator Girl" at work this morning. LOL! I am keeping a sense of humor about it. You try to do the safe thing for your E. and you end up in trouble.

tam bam

Back
Top Bottom