Depakote ER and upset stomach

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

truegrit

Stalwart
Reaction score
I used to take Depakote about 20yrs ago.
After my recent 6 day stint for a VEEG and SPECT test they've added Depakote ER to my med cocktail. Since I returned home I've been having trouble keeping food in my stomach for more than a couple hours. I didn't have this problem 20yrs ago but I also didn't take other meds with it. Does anyone else have this issue with Depakote and what do you do to combat it.
I'm currently taking it along with Keppra and Lamictal.

Hi truegrit,

One side effect of Depakote is pain in the stomach. I took it for yrs. along with mysoline and the drug caused me to become anorexic and I lost 70 lbs. in 4 months. You should let your Dr. know what's going on and maybe change meds or just stay on the keppra and lamictal. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
KB2TTN

I've been on Depakote, but on ER, for a few years. I am also on Keppra and Lamictal which I've been on for a few years too. I've never had any stomach pains but I do have very runny stool. My neuro said that is due to one of the meds I'm on but I can't remember which because I'm on a few. I have to go to the bathroom VERY frequently, usually only a few hours after I eat. But I'm going to assume when you say you can't keep the food in your stomach you mean you are throwing it up.

I don't know how long it takes for your meds to get into your system but if you are throwing up soon after you take them there could be a possibility that you could be throwing up your meds too.

I wouldn't wait long to let your neuro know what's going on with something as serious as this if you're throwing up frequently.

Last edited:
Actually you're right on target with my issue also. I tried adding some yogurt to my diet today to see if that helps

Back
Top Bottom