depression

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on dealing with depression-I recently broke up with my long time companion of 8 years (still love him dearly but our season is over) i've not been able to function on a semi moderate/normal level. I've had mood swings and emotional issues related to having epilepsy before but never out and out depression this is a new kind of low for me. I have an appointment tomorrow to speak to someone but I dont want that to result in another prescription so im looking for alternative methods on how to cope.

Hi misseschris! In life we form many attachments and bonds to other people. These bonds take many forms..family, friends, spouses, companions, etc...and when they end, whether due to death or one or both walking away from a relationship, it is painful. And that is to be expected. If it did not hurt, then we did not truly love the other. What you are going through, depression following a breakup, is normal...and it will pass. But for now, try to resume your life. We can never be happy with another if we cannot be happy with ourselves. And even though we can combine lives, the other persons life should never become obsessively ours. Take this time to treat yourself, to love yourself, to do those things which you haven't done in a while. Go out and enjoy being with your friends. Try to see the beauty in each and every day, and in everything around you. I know that it can be hard...I've been there heaven knows...but know that this is a chance for you to embrace you, to love you.

:agree:
Good advice Skilly. I hope I remember that when I need it.

I would suggest (from my experiences with depression) is to journal everyday, walk everyday, read pleasant words everyday. Treat yourself at the end of a difficult week to something special. If you are near water, a beach, stream, river... it can be very healing.

Get a massage and drink lots of water afterwards... get the toxins out of your system.
You will feel refreshed

Play happy music, not music that will make tears stream down your face. Maybe even find music that will make you feel like dancing.

Maybe find a group to go for hikes with.

Make art.... <===== that is the best idea yet!

:hello:

And one of the hardest things after being with someone
for so long is the fact that we fail to realize that it's not
all "depression", but rather to the fact ---> it was the
"dependency". If you really sat down and think about it,
you will find the truth in that, the dependency for one
and another; and when they have gone their separate
ways - a void is there, an emptiness; that missing "gap",
and then we "feel depressed" but yet unable to comprehend
nor grasp or even pinpointing what it is. But once someone
has revealed to us that it is the dependency, it suddenly
becomes a "lightbulb" over our heads.

But how does one fill that void? That dependency that we
had for so long, especially having been through it where the
"independence" of the youth was long gone?

One must come to realization that the "Past is in the past,
and it is gone; it is history. One cannot change it. All that
one can do now is what and where you are at this present
state and what are you going to do about now and about
your future? Nothing can be accomplished by looking back-
wards in the past when you are trying to walk forward."
There is no further truth than that.

So the whole perspective is, changing of your own focus,
which you are now in charge of yourself. You are responsible
for yourself, you are responsible for everything that goes
around you and your future. No one else can make that
decision but you. You can take charge! You do not have
to be bogged down by the past; letting go does hurt but
for a moment. It is easier said than done, it is okay to cry
but do not wallow in it. Give yourself a day of mourning and
then leave it at that, move forward and move on. You have
the world before you and to conquer!

Who knows, one day that time will come, when someone will
sweep you off your feet, and will be beyond your dreams; and
the person of the past grows dimmer in comparison with the
one you had in the light of the individual you were associated
with. Especially if you are young or young in heart.

Moreover, keeping yourself active and your mind busy, and
get moving will always give you new life and perspective. Become
associated with local recreation centers if there is one nearby
or at the library or at some halls (Religious, Clubs, etc) where
they have gatherings of all sorts - from collectors to art to
whatever floats your boat. Do the things that you wanted to
do but never did.

If it is possible, try to enroll at an Evening Adult Vocational
Tech School where they have classes 1 or 2 nights a week for
several hours and learn something new and meet new people
and before you know it, you'll have new friends and a whole
new life ahead of you!

There's so many possibilities that lies ahead of you that I
could keep on typing and typing and typing, for the list is
completely endless!

You can make it and You can do it!

:tup:

One off the best things I done with my past 'depression record' was to buy self-help books. I'm not much of a reader, but have always been interested in the Human psyche, so these books I found to make sense and helped me through the tough periods.

You have to ask yourself, "what makes me happy?" and then follow it up by treating yourself to it

misseschris
I know how you feel. I'm still trying to deal with my depression and anxiety attacks. I have been dealing with for many years and many more years to come. My worst kind of depression is PTSD. I have been waken several times from my sleep cause of it. I was visiting this neighbor today that thinks they everything and they don't know anything. Sometimes that neighbor has caused me to have seizures by making me angry. Sometimes I wonder why I even visit that neighbor. I guess things could be worse. I hope everyone has a good week.

Back
Top Bottom