diagnosed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

New
Reaction score
Ok so i went to the neurologist last monday, got an EEG, everything was going well until the technician doing the recording picked up on seizure activity within the mid-right line of thingies.

Anyway so I have epilepsy. Or so they say.

I'm now taking Epilim (EC200x4) 800mg. She was awesome, my neuro, she seemed genuinely outraged toward the doctors who'd been "sure I was experimenting with marajuana, lsd and mushrooms."

generalised seizures is what the neurologist said I am trucking.

--

Anyway, news on epilim? i mean of course I already know a lot about it but you guys always seem to have some trickity wickity extra-handy google bot evading knowledge up your sleeves.

I guess im just hoping for some hands on experience >>> negative and positive things.

They giving me epilim 1) because i have a version of bipolar affective disorder and this sodium valproate also controls my mood. supposedly the drug is quite identical to lithium. 2) it will help me eat more. 3) will help me sleep better. 4) curves my nervous system, so im less paranoid or something????

Hmmm , ok well that sums up my trip to the neuro! Oh the technician (Kath) was the nicest lady! Shed been doing it for like 20 years or something. The neuro was a nice, obviously timeful, short-wicked impatient kind of woman but really empathetic, which was great.

-And you people that were complaining about the EEG waxy glue stuff are a bunch of whingers! Haha, it wasn't even that sticky, it came out quickly.

Anyway i just shaved my head into a mohawk (wasn't anything to do with the eeg) it's awesome.

Hope you are all well, thanks for reading,

heath

-anyone know anything much about low platelet count?

Ahhhh epilim = Depakote

Some people swear by it, I swear at it. Couldn't tolerate Depakote. I was out of control, throwing dishes, furniture. Nerontin did the same thing (so does codine) I get kind of psychotic.

I am glad you now have a definative answer. It's the wondering that drives us all batshit. Now here's a suggestion. You may want to start a diary of your seizure activity. Log what you eat/drink/stressors/sleep patterns. If you can find a pattern to your seizure activity, you may be able to avoid seizures. Some people need a full 8 hours sleep, others cannot tolerate caffine, that sort of thing.

Temprature changes are a stressor for me. If I start to shiver it will bring on a seizure or if I get over heated, the same thing. I live on the sun (Las Vegas, well, some days it feels like it) not a good place in mid summer for the heat. Excessive pain is another, found this out after my last knee replacement. Boy, that was fun! NOT!

im aussie , dont talk to me about living on the sun haha :p

anyway they prescribed it for me coz i am psychotic! rofl - supposedly it will control my manic episodes or something.......

fjkhdskjfhslfkjhsf

anyway as im tired and irritable im going. but im very pleased to see your still around!

much hug xoxoxo

heath

Thanks sweetie! I'm a fixture, bet I'm here more than Bernard! I may not answer every post but I read em. Guess I'm that way with all my favorite haunts.

lol... I take the family out for a weekend trip and look what happens....

Anyways, the big news with epilim is that it puts your babies at high risk for birth defects if you are pregnant with a child. I don't think that will be a problem for you?

Stacy used it before and really complained that it made her drowsy all the time and sapped her energy. But everyone tolerates it differently.

news on my epilim 3 weeks later:

im now up all hours.... it's disrupting my body clock and not making me drowsy but insomniously alert! im now on temtabs (temazepam 10mg)

if it doesn't work im going to go on 15mg of mirtazon (ssri anti-depressant)
which is half of what i was taking before i began grand mals...

i seem to sleep for 14 hours on 30mg of temazepam. took 3 last night. sposed to take 2 but i was up till 5am the second night...

anyway

9pm-11am sleep!!!!!!! whos jealous ??? :p

Sounds like Epilim is not the med for you. Hope you can see a doc and get the situation addressed soon. Are you consulting a doc or pharmacist about the other meds in conjunction with the AED? A lot of anti-depressents (SSRIs) are contra-indicated for use with AEDs. Be careful.

no,no i called the same neuro about the restlessness, she advised the temtabs and i saw my local doctor about the script.

she also said valium and something else like still knocks? stilnox? stihlnox? are ok with the epilim i was taking

the local doctor said it was ok to take half a mirtazon tablet with the epilim.

especially because it is so depressing... it's been a while now since i was diagnosed that monday and the meds are just awful i hate them i hate them i hate them.

teenishly angstyly :p i HATE medication. i just want to be normal. i just want to be 10 years old again.

i want love :(

lol @ this old thread. just popping in on it because. i don mind the medication anymore.

that must have been the honey moon period. my sleep is still a bit disrupted and (donno if this was the meds) but my listening skills are waasssssted and i get depression but i think i can handle it.
my appetite died for months and months and now its reviving. and im eating well again.

wow these threads are interesting to look on months after.

um, im gonna go post a topic about dyspnoea and anti-epileptic drugs... maybe. hav a uni assignment to do.

seeyas!

Good to hear from ya Heath!

Glad your getting along better with it.

Peace
Speber
:rock:

Good hearing back from you again Heath.
You've been bouncing around all over the
place tonight!

:)

It's good to hear that the Epilim is tolerable and working for you. :bigsmile:

Back