Diamox Shortage

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I don't know if any of you take the brand name drug Diamox but I'm in a mess right now because for the past 2 weeks my pharmacy has been unable to get the drug, they have called 3 different companies to get the seizure med but they said that there's a shortage of the drug. I even called other pharmacies and my local hospital and nobody seems to have the drug. I know this is going to cause me to have a few severe seizures when I run out of the med in a couple of days. Sorry for carrying on but I'm a little nervous right now. Thanks for your support and understanding and May God Bless All of You!

Sue

That's terrible Sue, there should be someone somewhere that could overnight the med to you. Can you ask for a short-term rX for ativan? My neuro gave me a small ativan prescription to take carry with me when traveling overseas in case I lost my usual seizure meds or had a seizure far from a hospital.

I checked the website for Diamox, apparently they've had "manufacturing delays", and are expecting to restock in "March 2017" -- which is not exactly useful to those who need it right now.

TEVA Pharmaceuticals imports the generic (acetazolimide): Here's their US phone number: 888 TEVA USA (838.2872)

Taro Pharmaceuticals U.S.A., Inc. also imports/distributes the generic. You can reach them here:
Three Skyline Drive
Hawthorne, NY 10532
Tel: 914-345-9001

And here's a contact for the Brand manufacturer:
DURAMED PHARMS BARR INC.
5040 Duramed Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45213
United States
Phone: 513-731-9900

Hi Nakamova,

Thank you for all of your support and understanding. I tried getting ahold of the companies but I didn't have any luck. I plan on having my neuro call them to see what's going on and to find out what I should do. I did increase the medical marijuana since I have found that helps. You are a wonderful friend and I thank you from the bottom of
my heart for all of your help. May God Bless You!

Sue

Hang in there -- maybe the marijuana will tide you over! Fingers-crossed.

Hi Nakamova,

Today (Tuesday) I had 4 seizures and I checked with my pharmacy and there still is a shortage of the Diamox. I did call Teva pharmacceuticals and they called my home twice today but of course I was at work so I plan on calling them tomorrow to find out what's going on. Once again I want to thank you for all of your help. May God Bless You!

Sue

Yikes, hope you can connect with them soon. :(

Hi Nakamova,

I called the drug co. today and they told me they won't be able to get the drug out for at least 6 more weeks if not longer. I told the lady I spoke with that not having this drug was causing me seizures and she acted like she didn't give a darn. I'm wondering if I should call the Epilepsy Foundation and get them after the company. Take care and May God Bless You!

Sue

Oh no. Have you talked to your neuro about trying ativan on a short-term basis?

Hi Nakamova,

I sent a email to my neuro and I'm waiting to hear back from him. I hope they will be
able to get after the company. Thanks again for all of your help and support. May God Bless You!

Sue

Sue,

Were you abel to get Diamox? Hope you were able to do so!!

Best,
Suman

Hi Suman,

I checked with my pharmacy and local hospital today (Saturday) and they still can't get the Diamox. My pharmacy tried 3 different groups to get the drug but nobody has it.
Today I started cutting back on the med and I just hope the medical marijuana (CBD) will help take it's place. Thanks for your concern. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Update:
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you know the FDA and the drug co. called me on April 5th and told me no Diamox for 6 wks. if not longer so I'm now looking for a lawyer I'm getting darn
tired of all the seizures. Wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Update:
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you know the FDA and the drug co. called me on April 5th and told me no Diamox for 6 wks. if not longer so I'm now looking for a lawyer I'm getting darn
tired of all the seizures. Wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue
How close to the Canadian border are you? I haven't heard of a shortage in Canada yet. It might be worth a try to see if you or your doctor can get it here.

Hi rock and roll,

I live in central NY and that would be many hrs. away from the Canadian border or take my word I would have tried to get it. Thanks for your help and support. I wish you only
the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Folks,

Here's an update as of April 19, 2017 I will be able to get the Diamox Sequels. The FDA got after the drug co. along with myself until supervisors from the drug co. came in and realized they were in hot water because without the drug I have been having many more seizures. I then found out the drug co. had a lawsuit against them which in turn cost them millions so they have been cutting back on the drugs and their employees. It wouldn't surprise me to see people take legal action against the drug co. for what's happened. Here's wishing all of you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Finally! Congratulations on advocating for yourself (and others) and getting some results. Better late than never I guess. I hope you can get the Dianmox in hand ASAP, and get your seizures back under control.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your support. I will be getting the med today as soon as my pharmacy has it filled. If any of you ever have any problems getting med just let the FDA know and they will go after the co. Thanks for all of your support and help you are all wonderful friends. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom