Diary of an Epileptic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hope you get a good night's sleep kiddo.

I was on Dilantin and didn't mind it. No hair growth, just a little fatigue. And some weight loss (it's a bit of an appetite suppressant). I only switched because my neuro hated it.

I'll have to watch the video later -- Does Nak's post mean you're on Dilantin now? I hope so, since the lamotrigine seems to be bad news for you.

Big hug! Feel better!

I'll have to watch the video later -- Does Nak's post mean you're on Dilantin now? I hope so, since the lamotrigine seems to be bad news for you.

Big hug! Feel better!

^^ what she said since right now a gnat has a longer attention span that I do. Hope that you are getting/have gotten some rest & are feeling better. *hug*

Okay,
So I am taking the Dilantin for the first time tonight. Here's hoping that there isnt an allergic reaction or anything. I wonder how long that takes

Ha ha.
I wrote this at 11:09pm last night, and by 12:09am. I was out like a light, and slept solid until this morning. but the bad sleep, where you feel like you just closed your eyes and the alarm is now going off.

I also think I neglected to tell you all that my predictions were right. I did have a seizure Sunday night, as well as 3 on Monday. But recovery was pretty easy and quickk.

The quality of sleep I got on Dilantin almost made it worth it. Only almost because I felt a little drugged all the time.

But it was a very restful eight hours all night, every night.

The quality of sleep I got on Dilantin almost made it worth it. Only almost because I felt a little drugged all the time.

But it was a very restful eight hours all night, every night.

God, maybe I should ask my doc about the stuff, lol. The topamax ain't doing it and I can't remember the last time I slept more that 4 hours without ttaking temazepam to knock me out (even with that stuff I still only sleep aout 6 and its anythign but restful)

Just wondering if this is the med I'm thinkking of that is super old school, and the patent is out on it. or is that depakote? something with a D anyway. like phenobarbitol?

Yep, you're right...DIlantin is like the original old school E drug, lol. A lot of people have success iwth it, will keep my fingers crossed that it works for you since you have had since a horrible time with lamictal. Just if you stay with it make sure you take care of your teeth.

Yeah I hope so too.

but I am going to talk to talk to my neuro about changing too. I just dont wanna do really good on this, and then they discontinue it.

Rae, you may be thinking of generic Dilantin. It's called phenytoin. One side effect is to make gums bleed easily. For me, it was only with flossing and not with brushing. I think it gave me dry skin, too, but it wasn't a big problem.

Inaara, Dilantin also controlled my seizures completely. After a TBI and years later when I had been having partials.

I think I'm talking myself back into it again.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Rae, I could be wrong but I would be very surprised if they discontinued Dilantin.

Last edited:
I did this for Lamictal, so I'll do it for Dilantin. Little information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenytoin

5,5-diphenylimidazolidine- 2,4-dione = Chemical breakdown

In humans, it has been comclusivly shown that diphenylimidazolidine can cause a decrease in peripheral thyroid hormones causing hypothyroidism.

dione is a suffix for a lot of AEDs that contain this. I couldnt find information on what this is exactly and how it functions in the body.

Just got really red in the face. kinda hot flash.

Inaara, Dilantin also controlled my seizures completely. After a TBI and years later when I had been having partials.

I think I'm talking myself back into it again.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

*hijacks Rae's thread even further*

That is exactly my problem: multiple TBIs caused my epilepsy and topamax isn't controlling the seizures, although with diet changes and some lifestyle changes, I've been able to help cut them down, I'm still having lots of problems o th point that I don't often go out of the house unless there is someone with me. One issue I'm having with my docs is that they're sticking to stuff that will work for migraines and moods because apparently temporal lobe seizures mucks with moods(?). I keep telling them that mood control isn't an issue and my neurpsyh tests even back me up on that, but they're completely ignoring me. What's messing more with my mood is the fact that they're not listening and with so little control over the bloody seizures I'm stuck at home most of the time. grr.

*goes back to the cornert so Rae's thread can get back on track*

I did this for Lamictal, so I'll do it for Dilantin. Little information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenytoin

5,5-diphenylimidazolidine- 2,4-dione = Chemical breakdown

In humans, it has been comclusivly shown that diphenylimidazolidine can cause a decrease in peripheral thyroid hormones causing hypothyroidism.

dione is a suffix for a lot of AEDs that contain this. I couldnt find information on what this is exactly and how it functions in the body.

Just got really red in the face. kinda hot flash.

Patient Education - English

Generic Name: phenytoin (oral)
Pronounced: FEN i toyn
Brand Names: Dilantin, Dilantin Infatabs, Dilantin Kapseals, Dilantin-125, Phenytek, Phenytoin Sodium, Prompt
What is the most important information I should know about phenytoin?
If you are taking phenytoin to prevent seizures, keep taking the medication even if you feel fine. You may have an increase in seizures if you stop taking phenytoin.

Do not change your dose of phenytoin without your doctor's advice. Tell your doctor if the medication does not seem to work as well in treating your condition. Abrupt withdrawal of phenytoin in epileptic patients may precipitate status epilepticus.

You may have thoughts about suicide while taking this medication. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, or if you feel agitated, hostile, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

What is phenytoin?
Phenytoin is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant. It works by slowing down impulses in the brain that cause seizures.

Phenytoin is used to control seizures. Phenytoin is not made to treat all types of seizures, and your doctor will determine if it is the right medication for you.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking phenytoin?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to phenytoin.

If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use this medication:

liver disease;
porphyria;
diabetes; or
a vitamin D deficiency or any other condition that causes thinning of the bones.
You may have thoughts about suicide while taking this medication. Tell your doctor if you have new or worsening depression or suicidal thoughts during the first several months of treatment, or whenever your dose is changed.

Your family or other caregivers should also be alert to changes in your mood or symptoms. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.

Patients of Asian ancestry may have a higher risk of developing a rare but serious skin reaction to phenytoin. Your doctor may recommend a blood test before you start the medication to determine your risk of this skin reaction.

Phenytoin can lower your blood sugar. If you are a diabetic, check your blood sugar regularly while you are taking this medication.

FDA pregnancy category D. This medication can cause harm to an unborn baby. Phenytoin may also not be as effective in reducing seizures if taken during pregnancy. Do not use phenytoin without your doctor's consent if you are pregnant. Tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment. Use an effective form of birth control while you are using this medication.

Phenytoin can make birth control pills less effective. Use a non-hormonal form of birth control (such as a condom or diaphragm with spermicide) to prevent an unintended pregnancy.

Phenytoin can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

How should I take phenytoin?
Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take the medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.

Do not crush, chew, break, or open an extended-release capsule. Swallow the pill whole. It is specially made to release medicine slowly in the body. Breaking or opening the pill would cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.

Do not use any phenytoin capsule or tablet that has changed colors. Call your doctor for a new prescription.

The chewable tablet may be chewed, broken, or crushed before swallowing, or it may be swallowed whole.

Shake the oral suspension (liquid) well just before you measure a dose. To be sure you get the correct dose, measure the liquid with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup, not with a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.

To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood may need to be tested on a regular basis. You may also need a blood test when switching from one form of phenytoin to another. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.

If you are taking phenytoin to treat seizures, keep taking the medication even if you feel fine. You may have an increase in seizures if you stop taking phenytoin. Follow your doctor's instructions.

Do not change your dose of phenytoin without your doctor's advice. Tell your doctor if the medication does not seem to work as well in treating your condition.

Carry an ID card or wear a medical alert bracelet stating that you are taking phenytoin, in case of emergency. Any doctor, dentist, or emergency medical care provider who treats you should know that you are taking a seizure medication.

Store phenytoin at room temperature away from moisture, light, and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at your next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.

What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. An overdose of phenytoin can be fatal.

Overdose symptoms may include twitching eye movements, slurred speech, loss of balance, tremor, muscle stiffness or weakness, nausea, vomiting, feeling light-headed, fainting, and slow or shallow breathing.

What should I avoid while taking phenytoin?
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of phenytoin, and can also increase your risk of seizure.

Avoid taking antacids at the same time you take phenytoin. Antacids can make it harder for your body to absorb the medication.

Phenytoin can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.

What are the possible side effects of phenytoin?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, or if you feel agitated, hostile, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

swollen glands, easy bruising or bleeding;, swollen or tender gums;
fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild;
confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
slurred speech, loss of balance or coordination;
tremor (uncontrolled shaking), restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;
extreme thirst or hunger, urinating more than usual;
loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
changes in the shape of your face or lips.
Less serious side effects may include:

mild skin rash or itching;
dizziness, nervousness, sleep problems (insomnia);
nausea, vomiting, constipation; or
headache, joint pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

What other drugs will affect phenytoin?
Drugs that can increase phenytoin levels in your blood include:

stomach acid reducers such as cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac), famotidine (Pepcid), or nizatidine (Axid);
certain sedatives (such as Librium or Valium) or antidepressants (such as Prozac);
estrogen hormone replacement;
chlorpromazine (Thorazine), prochlorperazine (Compazine), thioridazine (Mellaril) and other phenothiazines;
disulfiram (Antabuse);
methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Daytrana); and
sulfa drugs such as Septra or Bactrim.
Drugs that can make phenytoin less effective in controlling seizures include carbamazepine (Tegretol, Epitol, Carbatrol), sucralfate (Carafate), and molindone (Moban).

Other drugs that can interact with phenytoin include:

phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton), valproic acid (Depakene) or divalproex sodium (Depakote);
steroid medicines (prednisone and others);
antidepressants such as amitriptyline (Elavil), clomipramine (Anafranil), imipramine (Janimine, Tofranil), paroxetine (Paxil), and others;
antibiotics such as rifampin (Rimactane, Rifadin, Rifamate) or doxycycline (Doryx, Vibramycin, Adoxa, and others);
digoxin (digitalis, Lanoxin), furosemide (Lasix); and
theophylline (Elixophyllin, Theo-Dur, Theo-Bid, Theolair, Uniphyl).
This list is not complete and there are many other medicines that can interact with phenytoin. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list with you of all the medicines you use and show this list to any doctor or other healthcare provider who treats you.

Last edited:

It is a Carbonic Anhydrase inhibitor.

I currently cannot mentally process what the hell that means, though, so aside from my google-fu, you're on your own unless someone with a working brain happens to wander by. Sorry.

lol.
Yes carlos, I take Dilantin, not the generic. I refused to take anything but brand name this time, as I didnt want a repeat of what happened on Lamictal *FYI, I started on lamortrigine, which is the generic form, and when I switched to name brand, life turned to hell*

Inaara, dont worry about the :hj: any, and all experiance and information helps.
also on a side note. I can't see the smilies, but I remember how to do some of them by the typing thing. *I think that's the little sign guy*

Last edited:
Yup, Dilantin has been around forever (my aunt did research on it in the 1940s when she was in med school), and it's not going anywhere either. Which is one reason it's very cheap, even in the brand form. I didn't have any real issues with it when I was on it, although I think it was maybe starting to affect my gums a little. And although my neurologist was concerned about Dilantin's potential long-term side effects, at least we basically know what they are! The newer drugs like Lamictal are too new to have a long-term track record. I'm sure that there will be plenty of unpleasant surprises down the road.

Am I like the only person who has ever had significant issues with Dilantin right off the bat, lol????

Ha ha ha!

I took the Dilantin with my allergy med, the orange antibiotics and melatonin and I don't know if something happened there, or what, but Chad said I was higher than a kite!

I have a cat named monkey and decided his name sucked. I said his name in a really deep voice or a really high voice like 9 times and the changed it to Squiggly McJuice. *dont ask... Even I don't know where that came from*

And on the way to bed, I did the pink panther dance along with the theme song down the hallway about 6 times, followed by the spy walk *where you shimmy along the side of a wall* another 6 times.

Then when I got in bed I told him that when he shuts the light off for bed, he hides the pretty rainbows and they turn brown. Then crashed out cold, snoring the second my head hit the pillow.

He said he had a great laugh and can't wait for me to do it again! Funny thing is that I did get an insanely nice sleep again. Hasn't been this good since I first started melatonin with my small dose of lamotrigine. It was phenomenal.

Oh, and Happy St Patrick's Day!

Back
Top Bottom