did epilepsy exist before EEG machines?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
I have a deeply engrained feeling that doctors are very skeptic that epilepsy exists unless they see it show up on an EEG.

Well, if the docs actually see you having a seizure, that can convince them too. But yeah, sometimes they're pretty reluctant to make an epilepsy diagnosis. Sometimes that's a good thing, but if it means they ignore your symptoms or insist you're making it all up, that's a terrible thing.

speculation

E. existed for the doctors, especially if you flopped around like a fish. For all the other various types, there must have been loads of reference to what was going on with the brain. Fits, spells, mentally ill, trying to get attention. Maybe eye witness accounts helped??
I had a great Uncle that had "fits" as the family called them in the dark ages. I am in my fifties, so that was long ago. No meds., and he lived to be in his eighties, go figure! Gives me hope about growing old (I think?!) he tried driving some, lucky for him cars were slow back then.

My docs did the same thing to me. nothing conclusive showed on the EEG (although it was considered to be outside normal readings. First EEG called it Frontal lobe with something in the left and right temporal areas. Plus I have it where the EEG looks like im sleeping, but im actualy awake. Sigh. I hate doctors

My first seizure(s) began sometime in the late 70's. They started as SP & CP. I wnet to my Primary care dr. knowing well that something was wrong, and he diagnosed me as having hypoglycemia and prescribed some pills. About 6 months later, I had my first tonic/clonic seizure in the shower, experiencing 1st & 2nd degree burns. So in the hospital I finally underwent EEGs and CTs and they made the diagnosis of epilepsy.

Like Rae, I've gotten to were I hate doctors. I don't trust them.

I will third that. Me and the medical community stay as far away from each other as possible. I only see them when I absolutely have to. I have never had a good feeling about a doctor in my over 40 years with E. Now with the, "head em up movem out" feel to our health insurance - going to our clinics makes me a little nauseated.
The only thing they have to offer me is a prescription.

Epilepsy is as old as the bible is, and older... No EEG's by then.

http://bible.cc/matthew/17-15.htm

Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is epileptic, and suffereth grievously; for oft-times he falleth into the fire, and off-times into the water.

http://bible.cc/matthew/4-24.htm

The news about Him spread throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all who were ill, those suffering with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, paralytics; and He healed them

I will third that. Me and the medical community stay as far away from each other as possible. I only see them when I absolutely have to. I have never had a good feeling about a doctor in my over 40 years with E.
The only thing they have to offer me is a prescription.

I went to my FP with ear ache, was told I had a sinus and ear injections and was presc. antiob. NOT once but twice.
When the pain continue I chose to go to an ENT, who said I had TMJ not a sinus infections.

Then there are the times when a dr. will ask me "what do you want to do for you" for goodness sake I'm the patient. I just want to tell them to pay ME as they leave my exam room.

Back
Top Bottom