Different Time Zone and Medication

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ln1

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I live in the US. My husband and I are talking about taking our children to Nigeria for vacation. We've traveled to several countries in the past (pre-Epilepsy diagnosis), so I never thought about this, but now that I am on Keppra, I am so nervous about the time difference, the amount of sleep I get and when to take my medicine.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do, to help ease my fear?

Thank you.

This is my opinion, but it seems to me that a week or so before the trip you might begin to slowly change your med schedule to get it in sync with the Nigerian time zone, and then do the same on your way home. Part of it would depend on how long you will be staying. That's the same sort of thing you can do to help alleviate the jet-lag related problems. Of course, changing your life and job schedule is a lot harder than adjusting the time of your meds, so you will undoubtedly have jet-lag to deal with.

I take 9 pills in 25mg increments (5 in the morning, 4 at night), so when travel I try to split the doses as I shift them (say 3 in the morning, 3 midday, 3 at night) while getting into the new time zone. I take them sooner rather than later in my dosing schedule. Since Keppra has a fast half-life you may want to do the same.

But I think Arnie's idea makes good sense, and may be easier depending on your dosage parameters. Make sure to ask your husband to help you keep track of what you are taking when.

You might also ask your neuro to provide a small rX of ativan or similar "rescue AED" to use in an emergency if you have a serious seizure when far from a hospital. My neuro has done that. I've never had to use it, but it provides peace of mind.

Arnie and Nak, thank you so much for your responses!

One other question, please...

Have you had experience with traveling to a country where you have to take anti-malarial medication before, during, and after the trip? If so, do you remember the name of the anti-malarial medication and did you have any interactions with your epilepsy med?

Thanks again.

Yes but I did not take malerial Meds and I was still in my time zone but other way round and same dose twice a day..Rightly or wrongly I took my chance it was hard call.i done several time zones all in same week and not as bad as I thought it would be

I've taken numerous meds over the years and was married to an airline pilot (no, he didn't fly for United Airlines), so we traveled throughout the U.S. and Canada plus several times to Europe. I re-adjusted the times I took my meds, according to which time zone we were flying into. I never had any trouble with my meds or seizures. Regardless of adjusting your meds, you WILL have jet-lag to deal with!
However, I've never had to deal with malaria meds.

Check this out:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16647276

Last edited:
seagull I think you mean United Airlines -- they're the one that's been in the news recently for bad behavior...

Last edited:
I take 9 pills in 25mg increments (5 in the morning, 4 at night), so when travel I try to split the doses as I shift them (say 3 in the morning, 3 midday, 3 at night) while getting into the new time zone. I take them sooner rather than later in my dosing schedule. Since Keppra has a fast half-life you may want to do the same.

But I think Arnie's idea makes good sense, and may be easier depending on your dosage parameters. Make sure to ask your husband to help you keep track of what you are taking when.

You might also ask your neuro to provide a small rX of ativan or similar "rescue AED" to use in an emergency if you have a serious seizure when far from a hospital. My neuro has done that. I've never had to use it, but it provides peace of mind.
You take 25mg through day can I do that.i on 400 lamac ok says morning and night but is that necessary.not saying I going do that butis it not a cas you just have get levels so when and how you take it should not make a difference is that what you meaning?

seagull --

Yes, I can split my overall lamotrigine dose into 3 pills/three times a day, but I don't usually unless I'm traveling. Most of the time, it's just easier to take meds only twice a day.

Not everyone can do this though: Some people are ultra-sensitive to even tiny changes in their dosing routine and/or don't have small enough pill increments to do it. Lamotrigine has a long half-life so that may also be an advantage over other meds (such as Keppra).

Oddly enough, another CWE member (Arnie) found that when he changed his regimen from twice a day to three times a day, he suddenly was able to control his seizures. Same overall dose, same medication, but split into three intervals rather than two -- that's all it took!

I think may give it ago try for a week wish hospital tell you options but I think indeed know they often don't have clue.give you example what happened to me last week.i broke leg last year and had few falls this year my knees terrible so I get MSR.the report very words abnormal knees what do expect.The medical did not have clue.i do calcified blood.They go to university 6years tax payer expense get pissed everyday then come out as doctor earning fat wad tax pays so they could at least say bit more 'abnormal what expect''study their jobs what ever the problem.If in epilepsy field should know damn sight more.

Back
Top Bottom