Dilantin Level

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JoeP

Reaction score
I had been on Dilantin since I was 13 ( am now 38) switched to Keppra in August, had a breakthrough seizure, first one in 18yrs, 2 weekends ago. Any way I had my Dilantin level checked and just heard back from my Neurologist and they said it is at 17...they like it to be between 10-20. Does that sound normal? I take 300mg/day at bedtime. My precious D. said they like it between 8 & 12....is it because I just started taking it again?

On Dilantin sites, it says "10 to 20" for the optimal range. But that's a wide range, and it differs for every person. When I was on Dilantin, I had seizure control at 5 mcg/mL --but I also tend to respond at the low end of the curve.

Your optimal dosage can change as your metabolism changes. Your metabolism probably isn't the same at 30 as it was at 13. The main thing is: Do you feel "overmedicated"? Are your seizures under control? Are you experiencing side effects? The answers to those questions would point to whether your dose needs adjusting.

Sorry had a few typos...I am 38 now and I wish my metabolism was the same as when I was 13. Also I do not feel overmedicated. I actually feel pretty good. Just hope I can go another long period of time with out a seizure. It freaked my 8 & 12 yearold sons out. Thank God my 17 year old was around as he knew what to do until the ambulance arrived. I guess I was pretty angry with the EMT's at the house and at the hospital until I finally came out of it.

Any guesses as to what brought the recent seizure on?

Had tried switching to Keppra, was on that for about a month. I am now back on Dilantin. Met with my neurologist yesterday, told him I was going to saty on it. He wants to have a bone density test done, but I am not going to do it. I feel good and will take my chances. He did not suspect anything was wrong just wanted to do it. I am going to pass.

My neuro wanted me to get a bone density scan done too. But my regular doctor said there was no need, since the results wouldn't change anything in my treatment. She didn't want me exposed to unnecessary radiation. Plus, bone density scans aren't particularly accurate predictors for broken bones later.

Back
Top Bottom