Dilantin Side-Effect (twitching)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

NaderH

Pillar
Reaction score
Earlier on, I was talking about situations where people would think I am having a seizure when I was doing normal things at times. At a time when my dilantin dosage was increased, I noticed that my eyes were twitching on and off. This must have been causing people in my family to be concerned. After my dilantin levels returned to normal, nobody mentioned anything about me having a seizure. Does anyone know if the fluctuations of dilantin levels can cause eye twitching? It is eye twitching along with eye brow twitching. The eye brow twitching probably was the main cause of concern. That seemed like seizures to others. Other things like sounds heard from me were alerting people as a result.

I am pretty sure that my situation was like I mentioned due to dilantin levels being abnormal.

Welcome back Nader

:hello: Nader

Welcome back to CWE! And yes at
what Birdy posted below, Dilantin seems
to have that effect of eye twitching on
individuals where it can be mistaken for
a Tic (another neurological disorder).
And usually it's a result of the dilantin
blood level being too high; or the person
isn't tolerating the medication very well.
It is also problematic when the person is
also taking other AED's or medication(s)
as well. I am not a Medical Doctor, but
I've read much about this complaints
from many forum postings all over the
place.

I've been on Dilantin / Phenytoin for many
years and never experienced any of that
side effects ~ unfortunately it had wrecked
a havoc on my teeth and gums.

Hi NaderH,
When my levels were in the 20-25+ range my eyes always twitched, sometimes it would go on for a couple of hours. I haven't had that in about a year so I bet the level could very well have something to do with it. I never had the eyebrow twitch as well. Sometimes people would look at me too as if something was wrong and I would just say, yes I know my eye is twitching.

Dilantin toxicity causes Stacy to tremble - she can't hold her hands still.

When Rebecca was on Lamictal her leg would spasm. The doctor said it was a seizure, however it never happened before, nor has it happened since. So I claim it was brought on by medication. But then what do I know.

NaderH, I used to get eyebrow twitches too and they'd drive me crazy! I had asked my doctor and he said it was from anxiety. (my life is a bit on the stressful side)

Hi Nader

I don't remember welcoming you before....so welcome to CWE!

Umm. Well, I had been on Dilantin for a total of 35 years. And it was always a fight to keep my levels up, even on 3 doses a day. So, I never had the blessing of the eye twitching myself, but I do know of others having had that problem....you may need to talk to your neuro about decreasing your dose.

Good luck!

Meetz

Rapid Eyelid Twitching - A Symptom of Tardive Dyskinesia

Rapid Eyelid Twitching - A Symptom of Tardive Dyskinesia

In the case of an abnormally rapid eyelid twitching sickness, it may just be one of the symptoms of Tardive Dyskinesia (neuroleptic medication-induced repetitive, involuntary, purposeless facial muscle movements).

Last edited:
Whenever I get above 18 or 19, I get very shaky, mostly hands. I don't remember ever having eye twitching, but reading has become harder since my eyes want to wonder around and not stay focused to the page.

For some weird reason, I can read the computer screen (which causes issues for some with E) better than I can a book or newspaper. Some of this could also be simple aging. Just got my first bifocals last year.

I get arm twitches, eye twitches, and the shakes, When I asked the doctar told me it was from the Depakote(2000mg a day), and from the Dilantin (500mg-a day) that I take. I hate it , it can be such a pain in the a--.

Sometimes my hand/arms shake so bad that I can't feed myself, and with the eye twiches it can make it hard to read a book, or watch TV.

Thanks to my 11yr old sometimes I can even laugh about it.

I get an abnormally rapid eyelid twitching which last for about a year before and it is actually diagnosed as one of the symptoms of Tardive Dyskinesia (neuroleptic medication-induced repetitive, involuntary, purposeless facial muscle movements) caused by prolonged intake of Risperdal. And I actually get it finally and totally cured through treatment administered onto the "He Gu" acupuncture point of my right hand.

And this "He Gu' acupuncture point, based on the acupuncturist is actually related to the treatments of facial nerves especially the eyelids. Whilst the treatment itself is a self-administered alternative instrument-aided acupressure technique provided to me by the particular acupuncturist.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom