Disability services for students

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bandmom

New
Reaction score
My daughter is in her junior year of college, majoring in physics. During the last school year she noticed she was having some difficulty concentrating, we think due to lamotrigine, but also when she has simple partials and auras in class. She mentioned it to a couple professors, and her advisor suggested she apply for disability services, which would give her extended testing time and other accommodations. Hesitant because she doesn't want to think of herself as disabled, or have other students think she gets special treatment, she went ahead and had her doctor fill out the paperwork while she was in the hospital for her video EEG.

I think that is the reason why the doctor, on her last day at the hospital, gave her a little lecture about going on with life even though the diagnosis of epilepsy was confirmed. He kept saying she needs to fulfill her responsibilities, there are no excuses, she needs to work, take charge of life, and not fall back on her parents. Of course she knows all that, and has never used epilepsy as an excuse before, so she was a bit taken aback by the doctor's words. I told her I didn't think he was accusing her and meant well by what he was saying.

She's going to go ahead and turn in her disability paperwork to the college. Has anyone here done that, and do you think it's a good idea?

bandmom

I live in Ireland, a bit away from you. But yes I think she should go ahead and turn in her disability paperwork. Medically I am considered disable, in Ireland this is a very fine line because it is medically so I can still work. This option is not available any more. You can apply for disability. It pays for your drugs in Ireland which means a lot. Every bit helps so yes send in the paperwork.

My Son got an additional year to finish degree (should be done in 4 and he gets 5 years) with all grants. What helped him get this, he reported his Epilepsy early on....got no sympathy or special treatment but a bit more understanding and additional support available - when needed.

If living with E and suffering with seizures – boy that bit of extra runway is royally deserved if needed..

send in the paperwork seizures are unpredictable imo. what will it hurt she still plans on working this is just for schooling and to make sure she is safe see nothing wrong with that.

Back in the day, when I was in college admin, we had a few students who did this -- they didn't have obvious disabilities -- I think one had some dyslexia -- that sort of thing. Can't recall that we had anyone with epilepsy.

We usually had those students come to the Registrar's office, and one of the staff would proctor (we had a little table set up for that). Some of the students just got longer to take the test, and I believe that for the girl with dyslexia, one of the staff would read the test to her.

Anyway, I'm not even sure that the other students especially noticed that those students got special testing. Or...if they did...I'm quite sure they were understanding.
I think some Neurologists and Epileptologists habitually give those little lectures along the lines of "It's about living with Epilepsy...not letting it control your life." We got that last Spring when we were having some angst about returning to Asia.

I was attending the university full time earning one degree and the community college full time earning a 2nd degree. Very difficult with the E but I think I was partially trying to prove something to myself and also afraid of what the E would do to me in the future as I was having so many problems with it.

I refused to use it as an "excuse" as I felt others would take it that way and never told a soul. Couple of things happened to change my thinking...

1) One teacher asked me to stop taking her class and to transfer to the online class as I had to leave class a few times when I felt a seizure coming on. When I told her I had seizure she said, Sorry, I refuse to allow you to disrupt my class. I had paid to take the on campus class and had to pay again to retake the online class!!!! (Comm college)

2) Again at the comm college...
I had to give my final degree presentation in front of several professors in order to show my skills in my field. It had to be via computer and projector in a dark room. I am highly photosensitive. At that point I had a nearly perfect 4.0 gpa. I told the lead professor that I had seizures and was concerned that I might have one in that environment. I wasn't nervous with the presentation or materials as I'd been working in the field for decades.

Well, I had a seizure at the end of the presentation. One of the grading professors came out to me afterwards and told me I was faking it and was just having a panic attack. The grade they gave me was just enough for me to lose the fancy title they give for 4.0 grades. The sticker is still on my degree but I didn't get the honors during graduation.

Of course, I seized while walking across the stage to get my degree during graduation! :eek:

After that I got the paperwork from my drs and turned it into the University. It was not a big deal. At the beginning of my last 2 semesters I let each professor know. I took my classes online and I was allowed to take exams in a room by myself. I kept having seizures in rooms filled with others, bright lights and noise.

So I say if you're paying for it then utilize it, that's what it's there for. I just wish I hadn't been so stubborn and let those 2 grumpy witches beat me down at the comm college. It's a shame that others can be so tacky.

I receive disability accommodations at my college also. I am already in an online environment; however, it doesn't really matter some days. If I have a seizure or issues related to my disease, it will affect my ability to do my work. I get an extra week to turn in all assignments, with the exception of 'participation or peer responses'. The reasoning is that I still need to be able to participate. I try to work ahead when I am feeling well to help compensate for the days I can't focus. I am continuing with school in spite of the fact that I may not be able to work in a normal environment. Still, I am hoping that getting a graduate degree will open teaching doors online. I can work at home.

My daughter signed up but never needed to use the services.

I did it for my final year of uni (I was only diagnosed during second year) an got things such as voice recognition software for my computer.

I never needed the uni helper (I just had to inform them if I wanted one!) and didn't need to apply for mits when my meds were all over the place :( got a 2:1 though!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom