Dizzy spells? what is it

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kyla

New
Reaction score
Has anyone else had 'dizzy' spells?

I'm in the process of diagnosis and I have my second EEG in November. In September of 2014, a new episode (apart from my normal staring episodes) started. I was in my chemistry class and I was suddenly hit by this mass of dizziness. I remember sitting in my desk, I was scared because I felt like I was about to fall over/pass out, I was weak and felt useless. I was ready to let the person know beside me that something was happening and I needed help.

I thought it was a one time thing, but they've been coming back, then going away, and coming back, each with less time in between. Now, for the past week they've been almost everyday. My worst one was the other night. It woke me up from a deep sleep and I couldn't get a full sense of surroundings, felt like I was going to pass out, nauseous.

Sometimes they only last about 10 seconds, other times they feel more like 10 minutes?
I'm not on any meds

Does anyone else have episodes like this?
Thanks, :hugs:

Last edited:
Could be seizure-related (simple partials can produce odd physiological symptoms), but there are a lot of different cause of dizziness, so it's important to note as many details as possible: Have you experienced any head trauma in the last year or any other medical issues? Does the dizziness feel like spinning/swaying or more like blacking out? Do you feel any pain or any pressure when they happen? Is your vision affected? Are there any other sensations in your body (like tingling or weakness). Are there things that seem to make it worse (like standing up, or putting your arms over your head) or better (like putting your head down or slowing your breathing)? Does it happen at particular times of day?

This info will help the docs sort out what's going on. I hope you will get some answers soon and start to feel better.

To add to Nakamova's post: does the dizziness seem to hit you after certain head or eye movements, or other body position changes? There is a condition called BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, a condition of the inner ear vestibular system) that also somewhat fits what you're describing. BPPV attacks can also occur at night, since we turn our heads and roll over in our sleep. If you feel you are not getting anywhere with your neurologist in finding answers to your dizziness, you may want to consult an Otolaryngologist or Otologist, both of whom can help determine if your dizziness may be related to the inner ear.

For what it's worth, dizziness for me is an aura and generally occurs only the day before a night of seizures. There was a time when I was overmedicated (as it turned out) and I would have attacks of brief dizziness quite often.

My simple partials would involve a very quick dizzy feeling. Don't know how it worked or exactly how it worked, but it was one of the first things I noticed happening before I was diagnosed.

Hi Kyla,

How you feeling in yourself since posting the discussion...are the spells still keeping on? :hugs:

I've been having a problem with double vision, which makes me dizzy. I notice it usually happens when I'm tired but it can happen other times too. Sometimes it's just a little bad and other times I have to close one eye just so I can see strait.

About a week ago I got very very dizzy. I couldn't walk strait because my head was spinning so bad. I almost fell over with every step I took. I probably looked like someone who had drank a gallon of vodka. I had to hold onto the wall just so I could make it to the couch to sit down.

When I laid down and closed my eyes I felt like I was going to throw up. I'm not exactly sure how long it lasted because I fell asleep. I know when I woke up a few hours later I still wasn't feeling good but I wasn't dizzy anymore.

I don't think I've had a seizure after the double vision and I don't think I had one after being dizzy either. I had blood work done a few weeks ago for the double vision, haven't gotten a call back yet with the results. And I when I remember that I want to call about it the office is closed.

I'm not sure if you are on any meds but my neuro thinks the double vision could have something to do with the meds that I'm on which is why I had the blood work done.

Let me know how you are doing.

Thanks everyone for the advise and input, it's well appreciated :)

Nakamova, Masterjen- thanks for all the questions :) I have been thinking of such questions when they occur but I can't pinpoint anything for it. It doesn't necessarily feel like swaying, it feels more like when you feel like you're about to black out, or that feel you get when coming to from fainting. I feel weak, and tired. I get them randomly, I would say more so in the morning. For example, I was hit randomly by one of these spells in the middle of orchestra one morning. I had to miss first class to sit in the hall for it to go away a little

N Sperlo- I'm sorry to hear that my friend, how you been? I have my second EEG, sleep deprived, coming up so maybe something will show up there?

Tez_20- thanks for your suggestion :) , I'll have to ask my doctor about it. yes, the spells are still happening unfortunately. They're not as frequent as they were last week though thankfully. I've noticed they come and go in waves, this wave in particular was just…different which was why I posted.

Valeriedl- sorry to hear that you are going through something similar. I hope they can get back to you soon on the blood work they ran. Hang in there :)

Thanks again everyone :hugs:

Back
Top Bottom