do any particular sounds/noises grate on your nerves?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
I have a coworker whose "sss"es are often so grating it seems like she's doing it on purpose and overemphasizing them

same with some cellphone noises, a variety - everyone probably has these particular dislikes

Peter

Glass breaking.

Went with a friend to a recycling center where you'd drop glass into these huge bins depending on the color of the glass.

Hearing bottle after bottle shattering was very disturbing to me. :(

Sometimes my friend's (neighbor's) voice. She has a very 'nasal' voice and talks very loudly - I don't even think she's aware. But I can hear every word she says to anybody outside as she is getting in her car. She also talks loudly when she calls me on the phone, and some days it is so unbearable and irritating that I wad up some tissue paper and place it between my ear and the phone to 'muffle' it.

Another sound that was grating on my nerves a few month's ago was the sound of some construction vehicle across the street. Not sure what the machine was, but its purpose was to smooth and compact the dirt following the installation of some pipes, and every time the worker would put the vehicle in reverse it would make 4 consecutive beeps...over and over and over again...and this was going on all day for several days in a row. I was about to rip my eardrums out.

Static on the radio or TV drives me nuts too, motorcycles, listening to somebody crunch, chew, or swallow...

Glass breaking.

Went with a friend to a recycling center where you'd drop glass into these huge bins depending on the color of the glass.

Hearing bottle after bottle shattering was very disturbing to me. :(

same way you can use resonant frequency to break glass (the opera singer breaking the wineglass with his voice), glass also has variable resonant frequency depending on the thickness, etc.
but considering bottles are about the same size and thickness, same quality of glass, etc. there may be a frequency you're sensitive to

Sometimes my friend's (neighbor's) voice. She has a very 'nasal' voice and talks very loudly - I don't even think she's aware. But I can hear every word she says to anybody outside as she is getting in her car. She also talks loudly when she calls me on the phone, and some days it is so unbearable and irritating that I wad up some tissue paper and place it between my ear and the phone to 'muffle' it.

Another sound that was grating on my nerves a few month's ago was the sound of some construction vehicle across the street. Not sure what the machine was, but its purpose was to smooth and compact the dirt following the installation of some pipes, and every time the worker would put the vehicle in reverse it would make 4 consecutive beeps...over and over and over again...and this was going on all day for several days in a row. I was about to rip my eardrums out.

Static on the radio or TV drives me nuts too, motorcycles, listening to somebody crunch, chew, or swallow...

I was cleaning my ears out for a few days using some hydrogen peroxide, and cotton balls (a pleasant image I'm sure) - but getting 'swimmers ear' for a while and having the cotton balls in my ears was such a relief to my hearing

variable frequencies huh - there might be a particular frequency you're sensitive to, same as what I wonder about myself

Mostly definitely. It's the highest point of the siren that makes me cringe and shy away. Or fire alarms. metal whistles.

whirring of the dentist's drill & the whirring of the foot pedal teeth cleaning drill-brush. Those noises make me cringe.

The kid next door used to have a gas powered remote control car that was not only loud, it was a certain frequency or something that defied any attempt to block it out. I could close the door to my room, turn on my TV and fan and I could still hear it. I'm not usually that bothered by sound, but that sound always went right through me; I just came unhinged every time I heard it. It would literally reduce me to tears and leave me shaking with anger. Part of that was the Dilantin I was on at the time which was worse for my mood than the Keppra I'm on now.Part of it was that it just seemed so rude and inconsiderate. I wasn't mad at the kid. He was a nice kid who was just bored and didn't have any kids around to play with. I was furious with the parents for allowing him to continue even after I explained the problem and begged them to not allow it anymore.

seems like a predominance of dual-oscillation low-frequency oscillation sounds...

this ought to be a fun clip for quite a few:

!-caution-!

hey and guess what surrounds us all daily. high frequency oscillators! computer cooling fans, tv tubes (old school), fluorescent bulbs, cell phones...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom