Do these episodes sound like seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

nicwea

New
Reaction score
Hello, I am new and need some input.

I have been experiencing "episodes" for around 5 years. All my doctors say is anxiety or migraine. I disagree.

I get really sleepy and tired, hot or cold, pale, and start to buzz on the left side of my body. I feel like I am shaking on the inside and like I would feel much better if the episode would just happen and be done. My breathing gets shallow and my arms and legs jerk but usually only on the left. Although I get dazed and confused, I do not lose conscienceness. I can talk but may not be able to say things correctly. My vision becomes blurry and everything sometimes gets hazey white almost like a glow. The left side of my face feels like it is pulling down toward my chin but it never looks any different. I get very tingly on the left side. Afterwards, I am so incredibly tired that I have to sleep. My husband says I get a glazed look on my face and I get very quiet right before they happen.

These are happening almost everyday now and they are wearing me out. I get them after getting too hot or too tired and when a thunderstorm is coming through.

Do these sound like seizures?

That's a very strong possibility, but never seek medical advise on the internet. Insist on a visit to a neurologist and have an EEG. You do have something going on for sure, especially if you are having so many episodes!
They sound like simple partical seizures, but only a doctor can make that determination. There are other things it can be as well, pseudo-seizures, cardiac events. Post-ictal exhaustion is quite common after seizures. Many people may need several minutes to sevral hours to recover.

Please see a neurologist and get evaluated, and keep us posted! :wink:

Good for you! Only way to be certain. Please let us know how your appointment goes and if you have any more questions, we're more than happy to help. :)

Whether you call it "Migraine,' "Migraine Disease," or "Migraine Disorder," Migraine is actually a recurrent, episodic, genetic, neurological disease. What does that mean? It means that Migraineurs have a genuine neurological disease -- all the time.

When Migraineurs have a Migraine episode or attack, the headache is just one symptom of the episode. It is not the actual episode. The point is, the term "Migraine headache" is not only incorrect, it's misleading, and may be a source of the misunderstanding of Migraine. As Migraineurs, we don't experience "Migraine headaches;" we experience "Migraine episodes" or "Migraine attacks."

It might help to draw a comparison to epilepsy. It, too, is a recurrent neurological disorder. People with epilepsy have the disorder all the time, even when they're not actively having episodes. The goal for their medical care is to keep the disorder controlled to avoid episodes. These episodes can have different symptoms. Probably the most commonly thought of is a seizure with tremors. When an episode occurs, there are medications for treatment. There are also medications to try to avoid as many episodes as possible.

Such is the case with Migraine. The goal for our medical care is to prevent episodes. Migraine episodes can have different symptoms. The most commonly thought of symptom is headache, but some people have very vivid aura symptoms without the headache or other types of Migraine episodes.
http://headaches.about.com/cs/education/a/mig_not_ha.htm
Several studies have evaluated the effectiveness of magnesium for migraine and have had promising results. In one study, oral magnesium (600 mg per day) or a placebo were given to 81 people with migraines. After nine weeks, the frequency of migraines was reduced by 41.6 percent in the group taking magnesium, compared to 15.8 percent in the group taking the placebo. The only reported side effects were diarrhea in 18.6 percent of people and digestive irritation in 4.7 percent.
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/headachemigraine/a/Migraine.htm

Back
Top Bottom