Do they have a right to my medical info?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

morgan381

New
Reaction score
I was one of 40 out of 250 applicants who was accepted into my local college's RN program that begins later this month. I've attended the orientation where they gave us the run down of how things work and the policies, etc. In the policy manual, it says that we are required to disclose any "chronic medical condition" as well as any medications we take. Can they do this? My concern is that they might use this against me and tell me I can't continue in the program by saying I pose a threat to the safety of patients...

I have not had any seizures in the past 11 months. My neuro was recently killed in an auto accident and I have an appointment with a new neuro, but I can't get in until the end of September--so technically, I'm not under the care of a neuro at the moment. I called my PCP this morning and made an appointment for this afternoon so I can ask for a letter from him stating that I am well controlled with my meds and that I do not pose a risk/threat to patients or others. I just hope that's enough.

I probably wouldn't disclose it, ecxept they do pre-admittance and random drug tests. I have taken one and my meds do show up (they test for any CNS depressers or stimulants)...So they know I take the AEDs; it's not like I can hide it. If it weren't for the darn UA, I wouldn't disclose it and they would be none the wiser as long as I didn't have a sz.

I know there are ADA laws that are supposed to prevent discrimination, but it seems like they could find a way around them if they really wanted...I can understand their wanting to know if a student nurse has a condition that would affect the safety or well being of a patient... The thing is, my E doesn't pose that threat. I'm pretty confident that my doc will give me the letter stating just that, but I'm concerned that it may not be enough. Does the school have the right to my health information?

I am so very sorry you lost your neuro so suddenly!! I would call the National EFA legal dept for advice on this! As far as I understand it, they should not have a legal right to your private health information. I might be wrong. I would check this out!

Ginny

In everything I have ever read or learned in business/HR classes, they are limited to medical issues that would impact the performance of your job. Even that is supposed to be a yes or no question. "Do you have any medical condition that would prevent you from performing your duties in this position?"

It is one of those crazy ass deals where they ask the questions even though they know they can not require you to answer. However, if you do answer with a lie, then they have grounds for dismissal.

NOTE: As a student, the rules may be totally different.

Either way, congratulations on being in that TOP 40! :woot:

Read your student handbook very carefully to see if your health issues exclude you. I would still call the EFA to see what they say. I think Buckeye is right. If you lie and you are caught it sounds like grounds for dismissal, especially with the drug testing. Stating that you are taking percription medication, but not listing them. I am not sure. Ask the EFA Legal...

Best wishes!
Ginny

Thanks for the input and link...

My GP did give me a letter stating that I pose no risk and that I am fully capable of completing my training as long as I am compliant with my meds. I'm just not sure I want to have to go through the entire disclosure hassle. I have submited this question to the EFA. I guess I'll wait and see what they have to say...

Thanks again

I'm glad you got the letter from your doc. That will definitely help. I agree with Buckeye...that if you fail to disclose and have a seizure either in class or while training, they could use that to dismiss you. Plus, as you already said, your meds are showing up when they drug test. So it's not like they don't know you're being treated for something.....I'll be interested to know what EFA legal has to say....

Back
Top Bottom