Do you get ripped off for buying brand instead of generic?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I take Tegretol XR 200 mg and 400 mg. There is a generic available but I would never trust a generic med for seizures. At least not the one drug that controls my seizures. The last time I filled the 200 mg and 400 mg I paid a total of $120!!!!! If I got generic it would be $30. I just found out if my Dr writes the RX as do not substitute I can only be charged the brand copay. Does anyone else go through this BS with their insurance?

:soap:

With our insurance we have a different problem. We can go to a local pharmacy for a 1 month supply of medication, but if you want a 3 or 6 month supply, you have to go through a mail in pharmacy. This mail in pharmacy will fill your RX as a generic, even if the doctor writes BRAND NAME ONLY on the RX. Its a PITA. They will do anything they can do give you the generic. Even if it states you cant have the generic. Its pathetic. Ive never taken any seizure drug in the generic. Ive taken all name brand drugs. Ive spoke with my doctor last year about possibly trying the generic, but once we sat down and chatted about it, I didnt want to risk having more seizures due to the price I would be paying for the generic. So I stuck with the name brand medications. Right now, Im taking Keppra XR, and I pay $150 for a 6 month supply. It sucks though that the mail in pharmacy doesnt allow people to use Savings cards. I have a Keppra Savings card that would save me $30 each time I purchase the Keppra XR. The only time I got to use it was before they changed things, and I got my 6 month supply at our local pharmacy. But that hasnt been since June 2010.

Huh... I've been on only generics...
Is there really that much of a difference between the two?
If there is, I guess there's a reason why none of them have worked very well. I thought I was just resistant to medication... it never occured to me that generics would be that much different.

Back
Top Bottom