Do you hate the word Fit instead of seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bluelammy

Reaction score
Hi everyone haven't posted for a while so here's something for you to think about.:ponder: I don't know if i'm being a bit petty and trivial about this question but do you dislike the word fit being used instead of the word seizure when someone is talking to you about your epilepsy, because i hate the word. O well i suppose it's just me being over emotional looking for something to moan about, but i would like to hear your views.:woot: Thanks and all the best for xmass.

Actually, I can understand that. What I hate about it is how the term is used in a demeaning or condescending way- usually in North America.

I've seen it used in the UK with such a different intent & tone (no different than if they just said seizure) that it now only bothers me if it's meant in an insulting way.

i hardly ever hear them called "fits" here in the part of the uk i am .... mainly round here its seizure which i must say yes i prefer

agreed it's how people use the word FIT more than anything , but i have to admit even when it's not used in a cruel way it still bothers me

When used with disdain verbally , it annoys me
If i have to talk to a patient , they usually dont get what im asking unless i say "fit".
I have no problem with the word per se , but i intensely dislike medical professionals using it. The history sheet in my hospital has blanks following symptoms to save us time when writing negative history ( u just have to put a + or a - to indicate if it's there) example hypertension ____
i get really pissed because it says "fits" and not epilepsy ( iasked the boss what he meant and he said epilepsy). Nobody uses "fits" in current medical terminology and it seems demeaning especially since seizures are not always epileptic. i don't say " snorer" instead of " obstructive sleep apnea".

Have never had/heard anyone refer to them as 'fits' here in Nova Scotia, but I agree, much prefer people say I am having a seizure.

Nope, I don't like the word fit, and I'm not crazy about the term tonic clinic either, but that's beside the point. :p

I don't like the word "fit" when talking about a seizure. IMO, a child throws a "fit" when they don't get their way or seeking attention by yelling or screaming. That certainly isn't what I do during a seizure. I know they say some seizures are like that and are called psychogenic seizures.

Nope I don't like the word fit & I usually say seizure. If someone says to me something about my fits I reply with my seizures.

I don't like the term 'fit' either. I seems that many people who don't know much about epilepsy and/or seizures use the word 'fit' a lot more loosely than seizure.

On the flip-side, when my children were young and threw a temper tantrum, I would say they were throwing a fit. To me a 'fit' is something that a person has a choice in doing and stopping whenever they want, such as a child throwing a temper tantrum. When, they realize that their tantrum isn't getting them any attention or won't get them what they want, they usually stop or give up. A seizure, that people wrongly refer to as a 'fit', cannot voluntarally be stopped.

Im not struck on the word "fit" sounds a bit dark ages to me,i do prefer seizure.Im also not keen on "turn"

Nope, I don't like the word fit, and I'm not crazy about the term tonic clinic either, but that's beside the point. :p

I forgot,Tonic Clonic kinda sounds like something Schweppes would make,but as you say,what can you do?:noevil:

I don't like the word at all, especially since it's now also used to describe crazy, irrational behavior...'she threw a fit!'

i dont like both words! when i hear of ppl saying them or see it on ps3 everytime it starts up it annoys me

ur right elizzza i hate when ppl saying it like that it annoys me my mum says it al ltime too hahaha

I really dislike the word "Fit". My family over in Ireland when asking after my health asked me if i'd been "Taking any fits lately". I know they mean well but it makes me feel uncomfortable.

I don't hate it necessarily, but "seizure" is by far the more precise and medically correct word, and more useful in communication much of the time (unless you're dealing with someone for whom "seizure" has too many syllables to enter their vocabulary or something, in which case I personally would rather not discuss the matter with them in the first place because of all the other things that wouldn't be entering their heads either).

The word "fit" is associated with quite a few things that have nothing at all to do with seizures (even though they may resemble them to the uninitiated) as people have pointed out here, and would be commonly used for what are more technically called psychogenic seizures too. This can easily mean that in many people's minds (especially of people who are not well educated about what a seizure actually is) the very use of the word carries implications against the self-control, mental stability, etc, of the person who is having the seizures. This kind of prejudice is definitely not something most Epilepsy sufferers need; they get more than they deserve already.

It seems pretty important to me to insist that society is pushed to recognise that seizure activity is the result of organic brain disfunction, not weak-mindedness, etc, on the part of the suferer; and I honestly think that the widespread use of imprecise terms such as "fit" simply confuse the issue and make it harder to educate people properly. "Seizure," by contrast, is a medically correct, neutrally descriptive term that carries none of the same negative connotations. It's rather broad as well, but the process of explaining what the term can apply to is part of the process of education I suppose - it seems much better than allowing people to think THEY know what a "fit" is already, when in fact they don't have a clue what you're talking about.

hi, I use the word 'fits' because my GP says you can only refer to them as seizures if you have been diagnosed with epilepsy- the GP prefers me to refer to them in my diary as 'episodes'.

Terms like 'fitting' were commonly used in the long stay institutions where I was a nursing assistant.

I just wish for a diagnoses then they can call it whatever they like!

Nick
xx

Back
Top Bottom