Do you hate the word Fit instead of seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I totally agree, my mom uses the word fit or she'll tell me "you took a fit," I can't stand that.

I guess I'm just lucky that way to have had a dad that worked in the medical community.

When I was really young I had "laughing spells" since my seizures made me laugh, but by Grade 1 I knew the difference between a grand mal & petit mal (now tonic/clonic and partial)

Had my first seizure in 4 1/2 months this morning.

I had a nocturnal seizure this morning, what I call one of my screaming seizures.
I knew it wouldn't last being seizure free but it was nice while it lasted.
I seriously doubt coming off the Diamox had anything to do with it.I was once told by neurologist that my seizures would never stop and unfortunately it looks like it was correct.
It's just depressing to have another one after so long and I know I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up and I did.

I had my first seizure in over ten days 01.20 this morning- like you
Belinda, it was a screaming one - what my doctor calls vocalizations. I'm down to between 2-5 a month since going on Clonazepam at the end of september- before then I was having 70-109 a month so I shouldn't complain.

:)

When I was breaking my neuro in it took a good 3 visits to get to stop calling my seizures spells, I don't care for that term either I don't have spells either and that was 20 years ago when I broke this guy in.
Belinda

I guess I don't like 'episodes'. 'fits'. 'spells' but most of all I don't like not being diagnosed!
My doctor said we cannot say you have epilepsy, we are treating the symptoms!

And if you mention you have been researching on the internet, she says 'stay away from the internet. She seems to think I'm gullible and get my ideas from the net.

I know I have seizures- all nocturnal and up to 109 in one month but since being on Tegretol they came down to 14 a month and since the addition of Clonazepam they have come down to 2 a month. She is weaning me off of Tegretol so my seizures have increased by 2 a month- I'm still on 400mg of tegretol and each month she will take me off of 200mg- I'm fearing being off of tegretol altogether. Let's see what happens!

Nick
:)

I had a professor who called my seizures 'epileptic fits' (so did some of the girls I competed with in Irish dance) I don't mind them being called 'epileptic -----' (people with diabetes are said to have 'diabetic comas' ) but 'she had a seizure' is far better than 'she had a fit'. '

Fit' always feels so derogatory...to me 'a fit' is the term most used to describe bad behaviour presented by children; an annoying and obnoxious and completely voluntary behaviour.
No one with epilepsy would ever choose to 'throw a fit' and the only person who would/should find a seizure obnoxious would be the person having the seizure.

I don't have fits I threw them when I was a child.

I did have to break my neurologist of using the term spell, I kept telling him I don't have spells I have seizures.

As Nicholas has just said, I also just call them episodes because to me, a seizure means a grand mal. Maybe I don't know enough about epilepsy but when I described my aura, and sleepwalking episodes to my dr. I was shocked when he said I had epilepsy. Maybe since I'm 60 I always associated epilepsy with the classic scenario.
Live and learn!

Prefer seizure to fit but much, much prefer being refered to 'as being touched by the gods'.

I am re-claiming our oracle status where people would pay good money to hear our post ictal ramblings. Or at the very least bring us tribute of Jaffa cakes.

Apologies for the flippant had shocking Neuro appt today so thought might as well go back to Ancient Greece.

Q

PS anyone pointing out that the ancient Greeks probably didn't have Jaffa cakes doesn't get any.

I had a professor who called my seizures 'epileptic fits' (so did some of the girls I competed with in Irish dance) I don't mind them being called 'epileptic -----' (people with diabetes are said to have 'diabetic comas' ) but 'she had a seizure' is far better than 'she had a fit'. '

Fit' always feels so derogatory...to me 'a fit' is the term most used to describe bad behaviour presented by children; an annoying and obnoxious and completely voluntary behaviour.
No one with epilepsy would ever choose to 'throw a fit' and the only person who would/should find a seizure obnoxious would be the person having the seizure.

I also have Type 1 Diabetes along with E and I don't like being called Epileptic nor do I like hearing Diabetic. A person with Diabetes goes into a comma only if their glucose is extremely low or high and usually knows when they are on their way into a coma. It is an emergency and people experience thirst, weight loss, blurred vision, confusion, feeling faint or like ready to pass out. I was there when I was first diagnosed with Diabetes. I thought I was going blind and felt very weak and lost weight. And sometimes people with diabetes can go into seizures if their glucose is extremely low. I've never had a fit as an adult, nor am I an epileptic or a diabetic. I am a person with two conditions that need daily care.

Back
Top Bottom