Do You Have A Medical ID Bracelet? Did It Save Your Life?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I only had a Medical ID Bracelet for about a couple months. I had a seizure in Walmart and my husband said that they checked mine and it helped them be able to help me better. Do you have one? How did it help you? What's your story?
I think that if you don't have one you shoould get one ASAP. There are so many different kinds of them.

I have one. It hasn't saved my life but I like to wear so if I'm ever alone with my kids and things go south I hope people notice and don't freak out. Because certainly my kids won't be freaking out since they are so used to them.
I just ordered a new one though since the leather band is wearing and the stainless steel part is so scratched up that you can barely make out the words now.
I love how many different kinds there are but always think if it looks too pretty that people might not recognize it for what it is.
I have read that it is best to wear it on your left wrist since that is where they like to take your pulse and they'll maybe notice it more quickly.

I have one. It was one of the first things my husband did when I was discharged from jospital. I haven't "needed" it yet. I too worry if I'm alone ever alone.
But also I was told by the guy at work when I had my first tonic, the EMTs kept asking him if I did drugs, almost insistent. He had to repeatedly tell them no...we worked together every day for 11 years and know each other's families and lives. but I think because I worked in a bad neighborhood and have visible tattoos they really assumed things. I just worry if it happens again when I'm alone, they could assume the same thing and maybe the care would be different.

I have a medic alert bracelet which I wear all the time & it has saved me at less once.

Last edited:
What happend? I just want to see how these bracelets have saved other peoples life. :)
I've had my medic alert bracelet for 10 years & it is registered through the Australian Medic Alert Foundation.

About 4 years ago I had a bad seizure while down the street.
I lost 3 hours of that day, the last thing I had remembered that day was leaving home in the morning to go do the voluntary work at 9am then waking up at 12pm in hospital.

All I know about that day is what the nurse at the hospital told me which is about 11am someone saw me in the street, noticed my medic alert bracelet & rang the ambulance. I hadn't taken my mobile phone or bag with me that day so had no i.d on me. The inside of my Medic Alert Bracelet has epilepsy on it along with the Medic Alert Foundations phone number & my membership #.
While I was in hospital before I woke up the nurse rang the Medic Alert foundation to get my parents phone number & my neurologists details. If I hadn't been wearing my Medic Alert bracelet I don't know how long it would've taken for the hospital to find out my details.

Last edited:
I have wondered if I should get one for my daughter. What do you guys think? Just for adults or kids too? It's not like she is ever without me except at school and the teachers all know she has epilepsy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have read that it is best to wear it on your left wrist since that is where they like to take your pulse and they'll maybe notice it more quickly.

I didn't realise that, I have always worn my medic alert bracelet on my right wrist because I wear my watch on my left wrist.

I didn't realise that, I have always worn my medic alert bracelet on my right wrist because I wear my watch on my left wrist.

Medic Alert now have these really cool watches with the tag in the watch-band. When I have the money I eventually want to get one.

Medic Alert now have these really cool watches with the tag in the watch-band. When I have the money I eventually want to get one.
That sounds like a cool idea :).
My Medic Alert bracelet is still pretty good so I don't think I'll need to be getting a new one to soon. I had the band part of my bracelet replaced earlier this year after it got caught on something and broke. The jeweller was surprised that the band lasted almost 10 years lol. I said hopefully this new band will also last 10 years lmao.

They are for for all ages. I got mine online for this store called Laurens or Lauras Hope. You can just google it. You can customize your own or pick from lots of one they have there on the website.

Back
Top Bottom