do you remember when you started having seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I remember getting up in the morning to a houseful of people while on holiday, only one friend, who all seemed very concerned about me and asked that I was okay after last night. I didn't have a clue what they were talking about. They explained that I woke the house up with a banshee like scream and seizure. I have their pictures and have read my diary of this event enough that it is engrained in my memory.
It wasn't until I went back home and saw the neuro that I realized all the deja vus I had been having for who knows how long were seizures.
I wish I could change the way they occur and have only tonic clonic/generalized seizures at night. I hate the involvement of altered consciousness and seizures.

Last edited:
October 2011. I can't remember the exact day, but woke up to my fiance staring down at me terrified and asking me if I was ok repeatedly.

I cant recall when I had my first tonic clonic seizure, because I was just a baby. I started having seizures at what my mom thinks was around 6 months old. Probably from what Ive been told, complex partial seizures. It wasnt til around 18 months I had my first grand mal seizure. Thats when I was dx'd with epilepsy and put on seizure medication.

Yup. I was 11 years old and the day before fell off a swing and hit my head on the floor. I fell backwards with the soft spot of my head hitting the ground first. Even though it was sand, it was packed together due to the freezing winter weather and lack of sand in the area due to erosion. In effect it was like falling on concrete.

I had some head pain throughout the remainder of the day, but took some Tylenol before going to sleep. I woke up early the next day for my first day of school in Pennsylvania. I watched cartoons and shortly afterwards started shaking uncontrollably as I was lying on the living room floor. I came out of it while lying on the ground and told her not to call 911. She did anyway and it was kind of embarrassing to watch people struggle to carry you into an ambulance (I wasn't fat!). It was just deemed an isolated incident until another one happened and that's when I was formally diagnosed with complex partial seizures.

Last edited:
I was in a realtor's office, signing a lease. Next thing I know, I'm waking up in the hospital, no clue what happened, why I'm there, how much time has passed...

2007 went to sleep, woke up in hospital with a vague recollection of the paramedics guiding me into the ambulance. They told me it was probably stress related and sent me home, had another 2 a month later and was put on medication. I remember very little about the actual seizures, just snippets like getting out of bed and my feet falling out from under me.

I relate to SoonToBeMommy, Nakamova and CrunchyFrog
first tonic-clonic was just like a "fade-in" to me being the center of attention of paramedics, "do you know where you are?" etc - while I was at work, 38 years old

July 3, 2011. I was at the store shopping for the forth. I was making my way to my car and I froze, smack dab in the middle of the parking lot. I wanted to move but couldnt. It felt like the pavement and I were one, like i was melding to it. When i could move, I thought what the "F" just happened, I brushed it off got into my car and headed home. As soon as I walked in the door, "bam" it happened again, I began to sob horribly and
my husband asked what was wrong. I couldnt answer. ten min later, i was able to talk. told him how i felt i was being held motionless against my will. we both thought it was sugar related because he's diabetic and he's says thats how he feels when sugar is too low or high. we took my sugar and it was great.
about an hour after that, i just slept, feeling like bricks were on top of me. A few days later it happened again at work. I went to the hospital and was admitted for "Altered Mental State". I thought they admitted me because they thought I was crazy, i wanted to die, i thought i was losing my mind. I was given lyrica a few weeks prior to all of that, but neuro dr wasnt clear on why i should take it. he said he given it to me for the constant itching of my head from surgery a few months prior. Till this day, they arent telling me if i am having aura's , seizures or what, they havent dismissed me, they're just not helping. Now, when strange crap happen, i just remember that day in the parking lot, the admittance into the hospital....i write it off, know that something is wrong with my brain and move on......occassionaly i post my frustration and anger in creative room. It sucks, it really sucks. I will never forget, but I wish I could remember it all, ya know?

My daughter remembers little or nothing of the entire day of her first seizure. The especially good part is that includes the hour or so docs spent unsuccessfully trying to do a lumbar puncture (spinal tap).

I was around 4 or 5 years. I was having déjà uv, but all I knew to say was " I've Seen it before" I knew something strange would happen but again I didn't have the words for it. My mom didn't want to hear me, that was when I was put in the closet.

I'm pretty sure I'll know my story for the rest of my life. I didn't know what a tonic clonic was when I was fourteen years old, I had never heard of such a thing. For all I knew it was an alcoholic drink that I would try in four years. I was waiting alone for the school bus on Wednesday, August 27, 1997 to take me to my first day of ninth grade- the last grade at Snowcrest Jr high. I was wearing the blue shirt my friends & I had picked out the former weekend to wear on the first day of school, and a denim skirt that my grandmother had bought me a few weeks prior. My flute was in my left hand, my bag was laying on the unpaved ground leaning against my right leg. Then for some reason I was sitting in the dirt and my mom was just driving up to the road in her red Isuzu Rodeo going to work, but she had an interesting look on her face and gently helped me into the back seat. Then I was in the hospital, then Dr Imani was explaining a couple things to us, then I was terrified because I had to take four whole real pills every day from then on, and then my mom took me to school in the middle of my Spanish class. I had missed geography and math that morning, which was okay with me. It wasn't until I was on the bus ride home that I realized we had accidentally left my flute at the stop that morning and it was since stolen.

i remeber waking up in the the ambulance with no clothes on scariest day of my life.nov.,17, 1998 yup today.

I was 9 months old when I had my very 1st tonic clonic so don't remember any of the tonic clonics I had as a baby / toddler.

But I do remember little bits & pieces of the day when I had my 1st tonic clonic as an adult (there is a lot of the day I can't remember & my Mum & neighbor had to fill me in).
May 2002 - I was 24, I woke up with a rotten headache, think I went to put some clothes in the washing machine next thing I remember Mum saying my name to me on the phone (I don't think i was making sense when I spoke) then my neighbour coming to see me then me waking up in the ER at the hospital with my Mum next to me. I don't know how long it was until after I woke up in the hospital when I had the tonic clonic there but I heard Mum yell out to the drs who were nearby "Quick she's having a seizure" then after I had the seizure I remember vomiting all over my hospital gown.

Back
Top Bottom