Do your pets know?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I notice that sometimes before I have a sez my cats will stay around me alot more often, following me around the house and things like that.

Usually after I have a sez my one cat espically will not leave me alone. He will lay on me on the couch untill I feel better.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but does anyone elses pet do that too?

I had a cat like that but I think he could predict seizures too. Whenever I had a seizure he'd follow me to bed as I usually had to lie down after & he'd follow me to bed. He was normally very picky about how he slept but after a seizure I could hug him or move him to any position I felt comfortable & he wouldn't move.

It was only after the 2nd time he did that did I realize that he would be sitting in the living room watching me before the seizure despite being an outdoor cat.

I had a much smaller seizure one day when he was watching & I wasn't too tired but for fun I thought I'd go lie down & see if he followed- He didn't. That really made me think he could feel when I was having more severe seizures.

Yup, my dog always knows. She will be in the next room asleep, get up, and come find me. If I am sitting, she won't let me get up. If I am standing, she will take my hand or sleeve and pull me toward the floor. I go atonic on my right side, so she usually tucks in beside me on the right and stays there until I come around.

She always alerts me about 30 seconds before, but sometimes will act strangely all day on a day when I am going to have multiple SZs or at least one major one.

She just started doing this on her own. So, I trained her as a service dog, and now she goes with me everywhere.

-B

One of my two cats is pretty tuned in. She won't leave me alone, just seems to instinctively know it's going to be a 'bad day'.

*Brent* What a gorgeous dog you must have. A real gem!

This has been discussed on here...apparently we emit a scent that dogs and cats can smell. One of my dogs alerts my son if I have seizure and all three stay very close to me if I do seize

Back
Top Bottom