Doctor's comments

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I think sometimes doctors are clueless. How can he say that this childs' learning ability won't be compromised. It affects her is many ways socially and emotionally. More than likely she is out of class more often then the other kids. Absence seizures or many other types as well, cause a break in the thought pattern or memory loss, time glitches, so of course this will compromise learning. How does the teacher always know when and where the child will begin to tune out. No where does he say that the meds might cause her problems while at school, due to fatigue, muscle aches, memory loss, aggression and many more.

He also goes on to say that it won't compromise her ability to participate in school activities as well. Pooh! My daughter is in HS and could not go on a field trip to see a dance show, without a parent along. Due to other responsibilities, I could not go, so she was not allowed to attend. The school is afraid of having Rebecca on campus during after school activities. I always ask if someone will be available for her. I find the more I show my concern the more they relax knowing I am around if necessary. This is hard on her when all the other students are learning to be independent and to drive.

I find what this doctor is doing is giving these parents false information. It is darn difficult and they should be prepared for what is ahead of them.
A little pill does not make it all better.

The causes include a former nervous-system infection, an old scar in the brain, head trauma or, as in most cases, no known cause.

Now that your granddaughter is taking medicine, her seizures should become less frequent and might be eradicated.

Her learning ability won't be compromised in any
way, nor will her ability to participate in school
activities.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...1-26-07_D2_5C8H763.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I didn't have grand mal seizures until the babies, but was very athletic in jr high... 5 high schools in 4 years, so no athletics. long story.

Robin:

So sorry to hear of this!

:(

:rose: :rose: :rose:

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this. These pills never make it all better. Don't they understand that the side effects can cause more problems? I think that these doctors need to sit down with a room full of parents and patients and just listen to what everyone has to go through on a daily basis. Do they really understand the fear of not knowing when a seizure will come? Maybe the doctor should spend a day or two in the house with the family to understand how this affects everyone and there is so much more that goes on besides what they see in the small amount of time they spend with the patient.

I'm sorry Robin. :( Seizures do effect learning. As you said, it's those glitches..those lapses in time. In the time that a student has a seizure, the teacher might be moving on to another topic. Imagine the confusion that the child feels. For some people, pills do work. But not everyone. I was lucky...they worked for me. But I'm so sorry to hear about your doc and the school. I remember not being able to drive till I was 21. It seemed that every time I'd go a year without a seizure, and get ready to go take the driving exam, I'd have a seizure. Probably was getting too stressed. But you know what, this experience...the being a teenager and having seizures...can make your daughter stronger. It's okay to be ticked off. Some docs are idiots w/ very poor bedside manner. Just keep being there for her. And we'll be here for you. :)

{use bold Russian accent} But I am docktor! I am all powerful! I know all things. Trust me.

a2b35ab4.jpg

Gotta go with the gut feeling, RobiN. No one can really understand unless they LIVE it.

As the old saying goes someone must walk a mile in your shoes before they can begin to understand your situation.

Sincerely,

Gen. Andrew F. Strasser

I think I miscommunicated in a big way.... Let me draw a picture instead...

What I was reading in the link provided is an article where they quote a doctor. This doctor quoted makes those statements. Not Rebecca's doctor.... well the first one did.
He made some comments that were so far off base, I could most likely call him on it now. But I wouldn't want to wait two hours in the waiting room for him to come back from lunch, and I have a much better use of my energies.

Sorry for confusing you all.

No matter...

I think most of us have run into asinine doctors like that at some point. One of my Orthopedic and one Neuro doc had that attitude. So glad to be shed of BOTH!

:flushed:

Back
Top Bottom