Does anyone else have this problem?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Lately I have been doing something that is quite embarrasing to me (always having been a brainiac), and somewhat scary. I've been saying one word, but meaning another word, and not knowing about the error until someone points it out to me.

For example: Last night Hubby and I went out to dinner with some friends and at one point we started talking about how much the price of property has gone up over the years. I made the comment that I could remember when you could buy good property for ten thousand dollars an acre. At least thats what I thought I was saying. What I was really saying was ten dollars an acre. To my mind I thought I was saying the right thing. What was coming out of my mouth was the wrong thing but my mind did not register that fact.

The other day I told my son to put the gallon of bread in the bread box. Even after making me repeat myself a few times and looking at me like I had lost my mind, I did not know I was using the wrong word for "loaf" until he pointed it out to me. There have been several instances of this lately, and it's been very disturbing to me. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so is it the medication causing it or some other problem?

Lately I have been doing something that is quite embarrasing to me (always having been a brainiac), and somewhat scary. I've been saying one word, but meaning another word, and not knowing about the error until someone points it out to me.

For example: Last night Hubby and I went out to dinner with some friends and at one point we started talking about how much the price of property has gone up over the years. I made the comment that I could remember when you could buy good property for ten thousand dollars an acre. At least thats what I thought I was saying. What I was really saying was ten dollars an acre. To my mind I thought I was saying the right thing. What was coming out of my mouth was the wrong thing but my mind did not register that fact.

The other day I told my son to put the gallon of bread in the bread box. Even after making me repeat myself a few times and looking at me like I had lost my mind, I did not know I was using the wrong word for "loaf" until he pointed it out to me. There have been several instances of this lately, and it's been very disturbing to me. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so is it the medication causing it or some other problem?

Hi there,
That is exactly what I do at times also. I think others here have had the same issues. I think I had that before I was put on Lamictal..but maybe others will be able to tell if their meds seem to cause that. It is very disconcerting when you know you are an intelligent person..and yet you say screwy things. At least you know you aren't the only one..not that it helps much. But it did make me feel better that I wasn't the only person doing this.
My teenagers understand and think it is sort of funny and I just laugh now and say oh...o.k. I apparently said something weird again. Thankfully, my husband and kids are great and very helpful and understanding.

Take care,
Michelle : )

You're NOT

losing your mind. I've been doing it too. And, I think it's my meds, personally. I've NEVER done this before. I read my nurse the riot act about it on Friday when I had the portable EEG put on.... Here's a prime example for me.

On the 23d, while working at WalMart, I accidently called "Pete" by "Sam's" name. Now, keep in mind...Sam is this great big, 350 pound gay guy, with a beard, and earrings, and a jolly laugh. Pete, on the other hand, MIGHT weigh 200 pounds, and is as clean cut and STRAIGHT as they come. PETE nearly jumped the counter, with the thought of breaking my neck, and pure evil in his eyes. If there hadn't been a customer in front of him, he would have, too.

THAT was my meds speaking. I was saying every other word out of my mouth backwards that day, too. Very, very odd. And, I don't screw people's names up like that. OOOOOOOOh, boy, did I have to do some fast talking the next day........

I have been laughing it off in front of others too, but deep down it really scares me to have lost so much control of my mind. Maybe one day I'll learn to deal with it on a personal level.

mmmmm

I'm still working on that, and I've had E for 43 years.....

I have to say that this forum has been a big help. I don't know why knowing that you're not the only person facing certain issues helps, but it does. And the feedback from other people can sometimes help you find the humor in a situation, even though at the time it may not be so humorous. (I am a visual thinker, so I actually saw "Pete" coming across the counter all red faced and indignant..lol)

I don't have E, not on any meds, and I too do this from time to time.
What I have figured it out to be, is that we are attempting to hold so much in our brain these days, that it is on overload. It can't process properly even in the best of situations. Put this brain on a brain drug... and watch out what will come out of the mouth.

I think it just is a reminder to take it slower, relax more often, stop and smell the roses, and get some honest exercise that allows the brain oxygen and time to reboot.

Also, a good practice, is the "morning pages". Take time out in the morning to just let your brain think on paper. Just write. What ever comes to mind. Three pages, long hand. Can't be typed.

I am wondering if while I am typing this, if our online activity doesn't possibly play a role in this. We are able to delete a word and retype it so quickly, we don't much think twice about it. Can't always do that when speaking now ... can we.

My brain activity in the morning are crossword puzzles. While what I used to be able to complete in 5 minutes now takes 15 after the TC and ensuing meds, I still do at least three puzzles in the morning to get my brain awake and alert.

Honey,

be proud of yourself for that. After a tonic clonic, it takes me about 3 MONTHS to be able to successfully do a crossword. My brain's too freakin' scrambled. I literally become 2 years old again.

I am sure it is frustrating that it takes you longer, but heck... I too have trouble with crossword puzzles. Give me a picture puzzle anytime. Maybe changing the type of puzzle you do. Perhaps the brain function is morphing and needs additional stimulation. Balance

No, normally

a crossword only takes me......well depending on the type, complexity, etc no more than an hour or so. If it's one of the NY Times things...well, OK, more than that, but 3 months is ridiculous. Puzzles in general after one of my t/c's are soooo difficult. I FORCE myself to do them, because I KNOW I NEED to..........

My tc was in January, and it did take me a few months to get back to being able to concentrate enough to do crosswords again without cheating. Of course my sister died in Feb. and my Granfather died in April. None of that helped my mindset either.

Yes I have done this from time to time. I do not do it all the time but, when it does happen I do get concerned sometimes. I would someday like to know how I can actually control it if I can.

Robin's got

a good point though....and I almost missed it. Sitting down, and physically taking the time to re-write things, to re-train our brains.....even if it ISN'T in the form of puzzle is something that we really need to do. ON PAPER. What we do on our computers......well, it doesn't help what we necessarily do "upstairs."

Hmmmmmmmm. Got some thinking to do on that one. My problem is that I have soooo much running around "upstairs" that I HAVE to get it out, or it drives me NUTS.........

*walks away, thinking*

Yeah

*nodding head*

On paper........with a pen........that you've actually PICKED UP......

According to Julia Cameron, the Morning Pages "get us to the other side: the other side of our fear, of our negativity, of our moods. Above all, they get us beyond our Censor."

She goes on to say that it is a form of meditation. "...they are a valid form of meditation that gives us insight and helps us effect change in our lives." "... the pages are a pathway to a strong and clear sense of self. They are a trail that we follow into our own interior, where we meet both our own creativity and our creator."
"The pages lead us out of despair and into undreamed-of solutions."

"One way to listen is by writing our morning pages. At night, before we fall asleep, we can list areas in which we need guidance. In the morning, writing on these same topics, we find ourselves seeeing previously unseen avenues of approach. Experiment with this two-step process: ask for aanswers in the evening; listen for answers in the morning Be open to all help."

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Morning pages are three pages of longhand writing, strictly stream-of-consciousness.
There is no wrong way to do them. Nothing is too petty, too silly, too stupid, or too weird to be included.
No one is allowed to read them but you.
Your mood doesn't matter
Three pages of whatever crosses your mind.
They must be longhand, not computer generated.

Why not try... what have you got to lose?

I have at times. I have found some incredible ideas, thoughts appear.
Recently I have had a conflict, as I get up at 4:45am and head off to the Ice Rink at 5:30.
It is best to do these before the hussle and bussle of the day begins.
I was very impressed with what surfaced when I did do them on a regular schedule.

Back
Top Bottom