Does anyone know what the restrictions are on a CDL in PA based on epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mike758

New
Reaction score
This is something I've been searching for on the PennDot website and on google, but I can't find a clear answer. The only thing I found is that in order to get a CDL to drive a school bus, you need to be seizure free off medication for ten years. However, if I got a CDL, it wouldn't be for a school bus, which is why I'm confused. Does anyone know if that ten year rule applies for getting a CDL in general, or just for school buses? Also, if the restrictions are different, what are they?

"According to the U.S Department of Transportation, drivers with a history of epilepsy/seizures who are seizure-free and off medication for 10 years may be qualified to operate a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce. Drivers with only one unprovoked seizure may be qualified if seizure-free and off medication for at least 5 years. However, if a driver already holding a commercial interstate license has a sudden seizure of unknown cause, a medical examiner and treating physician will make a decision on an individual basis after 6 months have elapsed from the time of the episode.....

Waivers
In Pennsylvania, a physician can recommend a waiver from the 6 month seizure-free requirement under certain conditions."

http://cdlapps.com/seizure-driving-laws/

That was written back in 2012, so I'm not sure if this helps and if laws have been updated or not. I'd suggest asking the DMV if they knew anything about it, because I could find things about school buses as well.

Back
Top Bottom