Does anyone take any extra precautions to prevent seizures during hot weather?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
When I say hot weather I mean at least 85-90 degrees.

Does anyone take a higher dose of their medication when it's hot or extra vitamins/minerals to prevent them from having a seizure?

One of my Neurologists once told me that when it's hot out I sweat out the Tegretol I take so he recommended I take extra Tegretol when it gets hot out.

When I did an Epilepsy Foundation bike ride not long ago one of the speakers at the event named hot weather as a common trigger of seizures.

I have not seen this as a problem for Rebecca. It has been around 100º the last few days here in SoCA. She doesn't like hot weather, but she hasn't had any more seizures. She prefers cold... guess that helps if you are a figure skater.

Hot temperatures do tend to cause people to have seizures. I believe it's the physical stress the heat puts on the body. During the summer it seems like I tend to have more seizures. But I think they just happen closer together, and I'm having about the same. I try to avoid hot weather when possible.

I certainly seem to not 'benefit' from the hot weather - good job I'm living in the UK, huh ?

I just try and drink more water regularly to stop myself from being dehydrated.....apart from that, the medication stays the same.

Interesting what you put about the Tegretol though, as that's what I'm on. <hmmm>

It's not just the heat, many AEDs make a person sensitive to the sun.

I live in Las Vegas and it's already over 100 degrees. If I have to spend time in the sun, I wear a big brimmed hat, very dark glasses and often carry an umbrella for shade. Not to mention I carry iced water or tea.

My no seizure streak is still in the good but this summer may be more difficult as the RA medications are notorious for inducing seizures plus I am on a diuretic. Pulling out the fluid and the heat may be my undoing.

Still, I know my limitations and try to keep out of the afternoon heat.

I am wondering too, if it might be your reaction to the heat. We have a discussion about thoughts producing seizures. If you are irritated, frustrated, stressed out due to the heat then the thoughts running through your mind might bring on the act.

Consider positive thoughts and interesting solutions to the heat. Some people go mall walking.

Hot weather can mean 75 here in Seattle. It depends what you are doing in it. Playing BB. It affects me and my son. Lots of liquids. Water. Eat lots of fruit. Grapes, you know things that keep you hydrated. Because even if things seem good ya gotta keep the good thing in.

I try to stay inside during hot and humid weather. It's kind of hard to avoid it when you live in San Antonio. I try to get what I need done in the morning here this time of year. I don't know if it hotter somewhere else. That's how I avoid to having seizures during hot weather.

I have been on Tegratol and now one of my meds is the generic for it.
I have been told to do my best not to get overheated and to stay out of the sun when it is the hottest. Here in my area, the humity seems to be getting worse as the summers go by. I will only go out in the morning before the sun hits my stoop (live in an apt. complex) and then in with the air conditioner and not out again until the sun goes down.

I do think that several times I have had seizures in the hottest months of the year, is partially due to getting over heated. I sweat worse at this point in my life than ever before. I try to keep myself as well hydrated as I can. Lots of water.

I wear a big brimmed hat, very dark glasses and often carry an umbrella for shade. Not to mention I carry iced water or tea.

^^ it's you, isn't it ?.....

MICHAEL JACKSON

:banana: :banana:
:roflmao:

Heat -versus- Cold

:ponder:

This one's tricky.

:dontknow:

I live in the subtropics, cold provokes
me to have more violent seizures.

When I look backwards - I get more
between Aug/Sept ---> Feb/Mar. I had
to really come back and forth on this
thread to think which was difficult, for
I have medical records here and when I
look upon the dates; I also had to do an
internet search for the weather for that
time span, however, some of them I did
remember were very cold or extremely cold
but others I could not. But after I did the
research I learned cold was the factor.

True, I had seizures at other times, but
they were not severe, and it was rare for
a tonic-clonic to appear in Spring or Summer,
and all other seizures, were merely 'mild'. So
was heat a factor - I'm not sure.

=================

Since 2005 - things have changed for me,
the nocturnals increased. 2006 - it was
recording me having seizures both day and
night, but more severe at nights. 2007 - it
grew worse, I surrendered my Driver's License.
Experiencing all kinds of seizures, up and down
like a roller coaster, and there would be brief
phases of 'silence'.

Until late 2007 to present ( 2008 ) it's been hairy,
wild, and just absolutely insane! Doctors were so
close to writing me off from riding a bicycle! But
I'm permitted for now, however, my Neurologist
(or my other Doctors) can ban me from cycling
if they do not feel that I am safe to ride it. I
was almost close to being told to "park it" (the
bicycle) not that long ago.

So is HEAT a factor? Is COLD a factor?

I'm not so sure ... I believe the BRAIN and the
NERVES are the factor; for if you stay hydrated
and you are climate adapted and all that is within
is what plays the main role.

--------------------------------------

With the mass majority of the population residing
mostly up North and are adapted to the cold climate
naturally they are not adapted to the humidity and
heat that we are natives of, so it would be 'possible
provocation' to the individual; just like if it were vice
versa - if I were to head North, up in the Snow, Ice,
et cetera - I am not adapted to such, and the chances
would be very high it would be provocative to me.

----------------------------------------

Hope I am making sense here.

Last edited:
Heat is a big thing for us with Jess. We get pretty warm in summer (90's & up, up, up)- and we do alot outside. The hardest was when Jess was on Topomax as it can reduce the body's ability to sweat, so she always was in air conditioning - we did stuff in the am and at night when it cooled so she could be with us. She has been off Topomax for awhile now and no longer has that problem, but she still seems to really wilt in heat so we are careful to always keep her shaded and when we camp or stay at county fair our camper is air conditioned at all times for her.

I really agree with Brain on this - I think it affects everyone differntly especially depending on what meds you are on.

Plus it takes more enerjy out of you. If the meds make you tired or anything. Topamax is one I was on for a long time and it does keep you from sweating, but you go to the bathroom a lot. Or I did. Your whole body is a wellness system. Its good for us to keep it working together as one. Because thats what it is.

I do have seizures in high heat. I have ever since I was a little girl.It was around 80% degrees out the past few days and my sleep is off, I fainted lovely keppra,and I am not eating as much. So I am drinking iced tea, water, trying to push that down my son to. and before I go out in the sun, I take a lorazepam, because I am not about to break my nose just walking in the heat. I need a dog.

I need a dog.

Haven't noticed more seizures in the summer, but I have had at least one after mowing grass in the heat.

Hiking and walking used to be favorite activities of mine, regardless of temperature. I've stopped ignoring the high temperatures and heat indexes because of the seizure I mentioned above. Temperatures here commonly run at 95-100 degrees F with high humidity for months.

If you have the time and can take care of one, you'd probably enjoy a dog. They're fun. I walk mine almost daily.

Back
Top Bottom