Does your Partner support you after a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pineki

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Does your partner Stand by you after having a seizure? I have been with my husband for 20 years. He has always been comforting, sitting up with me after I had a nocturnal grand mal, he hardly wakes up immediately. If it is a bad seizure I shout a lot, he wakes up checks up on me and goes to sleep again.
It is the 1st time in 2 years that I had seizures this past Friday. I had 2 in a row. He offered to take me to the hospital, who am I to say no in the state I am.. So he went to work. My day went on as normal, I cooked etc. Is it too much to ask to want more sympathy? He does not know what I feel like and is quite upset as I wanted to go home early today from a party because I still feel crappy. I wasn't supposed to be out in the 1st place after 2 grand mals? What are your views on this?

Hi pineki,

I've been with my husband for 31 yrs. and he has always been supportive of me after I have a seizure and when I've had brain surgery done. My husband has also been there for me when my employer has put me down and tried to get rid of me do to my seizures. He went into the school and spoke up to administration until they didn't know what to say and they just kept quiet. We are lucky to have spouses that support us. Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

My wife has been fantastic with mine. :hugs: I only have mine at night so when I come out of a grand I'm totally unaware that anything has even happened. In fact we usually we go through the
Her: "uh do you know what just happened?"
Me: "Uh nothing"
Her: "you just had a seizure"
Me: "uh no I didn't".
We do that for a bit before it makes it's way to my stomach and even then I'm no convinced. Finally my memory starts coming back and I realize that something has happened and then I usually get upset with myself, because I feel like I have done something wrong, and then she makes sure to let me know that it's not my fault. After that she's on pins and needles the rest of the night making sure that I'm okay. Not sure how I would handle it without her?

My husband is very supportive after I've had a seizure. I almost never know that I've had one so when I come out of it he'll tell me. He knows when I have one that I usually can't just get up and start dancing around so he lets me sit there or fall asleep. As long as he thinks I'm ok he'll let me do things like cook.

He knows depending on how bad the seizure was that I might need to sleep a good bit the next day or few so he doesn't complain that 'I sleep too much'. He asks me if I'm having a headache after one and if I am he'll get me some Advil to help.

He pays attention to what I do during a seizure and how long it lasts so I can write it all down in my seizure diary.

If I've had a seizure and he goes to work he'll text me every so often just to make sure I'm ok.

Thank you for the responses. Today I am going for blood level tests and medication is being increased. Sounds like I am experiencing mayoclonic seizures after this 2 big ones from last week and just can't get out of it. I spoke to my husband and I think he was very frightened since it has been so long. So instead of more comfort he kind of scatttered away?! Suppose it helps to talk.. A lot. ❤

Back
Top Bottom