Double Vision

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I've had this happen about two or three times before, I just thought everything was blurry, but in the car driving to my neuro visit I realized it was double vision.

At first I thought the car infront of us was driving off the road and that we were following it. When I closed one eye I could see ok. When I opened it I saw two of the same car infront of us. And two of everything else around us.

This lasted for at least an hour. I don't think I had a sez because I seemed fine during it. I was talking normal and knew what was going on, I was just seeing two of everything.

I didn't have a headache or anything like that during it or after it finally stopped.

I told the neuro and he really didn't seem too concerend about it, he told me just to keep track of how often it happens.

Does anyone else have this happen?

It can be a med side effect. Did your neuro have any ideas on what's causing it and how to deal with it?

This happened to me in December and scared the daylights out of me only it was holding my hand in front of me and seeing 10 fingers instead of 5 :eek: My neuro sent me to an opthamologist. It turned out that I was BORN with double vision but as a child trained myself to compensate for it (ie: squinting) so it was never picked up on. The opthamologist said when that happens then as the person gets older the muscles get weaker and eventually one day thay can't compensate anymore and they start seeing double again. The solution for it is to have prismatic lenses put in your eyeglasses. My double vision affects my far vision moreso than my near vision. Your best bet for answers to vision problems is an Opthamologist...he'll be able to rule out physical problems vs medication issues fairly quickly.

Oh, BTW...with double vision I would advise you NOT to look at those new 3-d TVs. Hubby and I thought we would check them out the other day and I didn't know if I was going to pass out or throw up and that was before I put the glasses on. With the glasses on I could still feel the pull on my eyes and see ghosting and it started to make my head hurt. I told hubby I didn't think we were going to buy into this new fad any time soon :|

Last edited:
double vision

That can definitely be a med side effect. I had that happen to me because of a med. I just stopped taking it and was fine.

What med are you taking?
Rebecca had this happen when she was taking Tegretol. It would happen at any time.

this is what I'm taking, I think one is a generic for Tegratol

Divalproex SOD ER 500mg TAMYL
Carbamazepine XR 400mg Tabtar
Levetriacetam 750mg TABLETMYL
Lamotrigine 150mg Tablet MYL
Lamotrigine 25mg Tablet

Our neurologist also didn't think it was connected to the medication. However once we stopped it, after a few weeks the vision problems disappeared.

Vision problems is on the list of side effects you get from the pharmacist, for Tegretol.

Back
Top Bottom