Drat!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sorry to hear that Robin and Rebecca!........

I wonder if there's some kind of 'drowsy' period in the mid-morning for Rebecca? I very often have to fight through a period in the morning about the same time as you mentioned...and I often worry the sleepiness could put me in a state of consciousness\readiness that lowers that seizure threshold enough to let one in! It could easily be related to being between meals and her being depleted after a workout, but either way....the state of drowsiness would still be an issue for me! I have to move around...I couldn't sit at a classroom desk (especially if it was a boring subject!). Just a thought!

Maybe she should try eating a nutricious snack around 9:30-10:00 am?

Sorry to hear that Rebecca has taken another seizure :(.

I thought food too Bernard but she munches on her lunch most of the morning. Maybe I need to find the right combo of nutrients. I may go back to the electrolyte drinks for a while and see. I found one at WF that doesn't have all the sweet stuff in it, it is just water.

Spencer - I have also considered this as well. I did think about the boring subject idea, as the first few happening last year were in History. This time though she was walking, and yet it was right after sitting for a while in the auditorium so it might be a connection. The dizzyness is something that I am going to work on with her though. The last few times it has been mentioned so I think she should be aware of this and maybe sit somewhere and do some deep breathing.

Thanks for your concerns everyone.

has she been checked for low blood sugar it makes me dizzy ? the meds take 500mg keppra at 5 am and another 500mg at 5pm between 3:30 and 5pm i feel grumpy kinda off....

Symptoms

Symptoms of hypoglycemia include

* hunger
* nervousness and shakiness
* perspiration
* dizziness or light-headedness
* sleepiness
* confusion
* difficulty speaking
* feeling anxious or weak

Last edited:
I think I have read though Angel that the blood sugar from drawn blood is not the same as that which is entering the brain. I could be way off base here but without checking it every hour on the hour, it could plummet some and then stabalize.
I wonder if a prick test would work throughout the day?

that wouldnt be to fun for her... you could try it though Or maybe have her eat something like "quick fix" foods somthing with sugar when shes not feeling well honey? maybe or some fruit juice?

I was told to eat pb and jelly yuck.... no thanks.... sometimes i do have to eat honey or have a piece of candy or fruit juice candys bad i know but its a quick fix im sure you can think of something much healthier for her though.... carbs help too .... Organic fruit bars? if she starts feeling light headed and dizzy may help..... she can carry it with her.....

when i went to school I was on the dolphin swim team in california, would get stressed out and was really skinny. So in a way I can understand its been a while though i was in my teens was tested for hypoglycemia because of dizziness and weakness tripping etc.... I was totally into not eating anything with fat and felt i had to be perfect.... stress the thought of even putting sugar in my mouth was no no lol i do remember having an eating disorder which ive now have under control..... i was into sports track stuff like that too..... my parents were not like you .... i had to figure out how to help myself .... well my dad had me eating right my mom would make biscuits and chocolate gravy for breakfast which i would skip... just to give you an idea... I had fruit instead.....

Last edited:
I know if I skip too many meals (I tend to skip a lot of meals especially at school and on Topamax) I seem to have seizures. Even a little snack helps me. And since I also have heart problems, I'm not supposed to skip any meals. But even eating a granola bar or something simple like that can help. That's what I do. And it really helps stop the seizures (and the problems with my heart)

Thanks, it helps to know others experiences. I send her to school with a lunch bag filled with sandwich and snacks, from nuts, organic fruit leather, snow peas and carrots, organic potato chips, fruit. She seems to be grazing all day. She promises me that the lunch does not get dumped. I do believe her, since she calls if she forgets it.

I keep forgetting to pick up some of those honey sticks for her to have in her backpack.
It certainly would be an instant sugar that might help with the dizzies.

Still concerned how the intestinal issues are instigating all of this.

Thanks, it helps to know others experiences. I send her to school with a lunch bag filled with sandwich and snacks, from nuts, organic fruit leather, snow peas and carrots, organic potato chips, fruit. She seems to be grazing all day. She promises me that the lunch does not get dumped. I do believe her, since she calls if she forgets it.

I keep forgetting to pick up some of those honey sticks for her to have in her backpack.
It certainly would be an instant sugar that might help with the dizzies.

Still concerned how the intestinal issues are instigating all of this.
Sorry to hear the bad news Robin :(

Can you have Rebecca's blood sugar levels checked ? It would be interesting to find out if they're a little on the low side.

What's in Rebecca's breakfast ? I tend to have a bowl of dry oatabix cereals, as these will stay in the system for alot longer than standard cereals as they're a slow-digesting cereal.

Maybe it would be handy for Rebecca to carry some Lucozade tablets around, so IF she does feel a little light headed she can simply pop one of these glucose tablets to increase her blood sugar levels.

Hi TT - Rebecca is up at 5:00 am to go to skating practice. I make her either my version of an egg mc muffin (cooked egg on toast), or hot oatmeal, or hot rice cereal, or egg and bacon. If she ever has cereal, it is one called Puffins and is gluten free.

They check her blood sugar if she is ever taken to the ER. Also it I guess it has been checked in the reg blood work-up. However, the research I have done, says that the blood sugar taken from the arm is different than that blood sugar crossing the blood brain barrier. If I am wrong please tell me so.

So... if I have her blood sugar tested, should it be tested at differing times of the day?
Should I request it with food, without food, exercise days, non ex. days, tired days, non tired days... what do I need to do to see if this is one of the causes.
And.... even if it does show this, would the outcome be any different. Wouldn't I still be giving her something to boost her BS at that particular time. My thinking would be why do through all the hassle of the tests and such if I just were to find something that would be safe for her to do at about 10 am.

I have not heard of Lucozade tablets. Is that a brand name?

Hi TT - Rebecca is up at 5:00 am to go to skating practice. I make her either my version of an egg mc muffin (cooked egg on toast), or hot oatmeal, or hot rice cereal, or egg and bacon. If she ever has cereal, it is one called Puffins and is gluten free.

They check her blood sugar if she is ever taken to the ER. Also it I guess it has been checked in the reg blood work-up. However, the research I have done, says that the blood sugar taken from the arm is different than that blood sugar crossing the blood brain barrier. If I am wrong please tell me so.

So... if I have her blood sugar tested, should it be tested at differing times of the day?
Should I request it with food, without food, exercise days, non ex. days, tired days, non tired days... what do I need to do to see if this is one of the causes.
And.... even if it does show this, would the outcome be any different. Wouldn't I still be giving her something to boost her BS at that particular time. My thinking would be why do through all the hassle of the tests and such if I just were to find something that would be safe for her to do at about 10 am.

I have not heard of Lucozade tablets. Is that a brand name?

Does Rebecca have the breakfast before going to skating practice at that EARLY time off day ? If so, I'm wondering if this is only happening when she is having the egg & bacon, or egg on toast. The only reason I say this is because they're not necessarily what I'd consider slow-digesting foods. I'd concentrate on stacking up the carbs at that time off day, ie. stick to the oatmeal / rice cereals if you can.....they're alot more slow releasing, and would give greater nutritional qualities than the egg & bacon. A basic rule of thumb, is start the day on carbs, and finish on protein.

Sorry about the Lucozade tablets....I forget at times that we're in two different countries. They are a brand name - like Gatorade / Powerade. As long as you can find some kinda glucose releasing energy tablet, this should do the trick for a simple pick-me-up....places like GNC should stock this kinda thing.

Here's a quick linky to give you an idea. It IS to treat diabetes, but it's the same difference - to treat low blood sugar levels :

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_control_tips/hypoglycemia_treatment.php

I will try that nutritional change, though she loves her "mommy mcmuffin". I was also trying for a while, an asian specialty here... rice ball made with flakes of salmon. She loves those as well.

I didn't know the rule of starting with carbs and finishing on protein. I thought it was best to keep the protein up through out the day. She continues to be extremely backed up and I know that carbs can make that worse.

I will check out the glucose tabs. Thanks for that hint.

I get so tired of having to "think" all the time. It is draining.... certainly doesn't help the creative side of my brain.

Hi Robin,

Two thoughts on Rebecca's seizures. 1. The dizziness. This can be a sign of low blood pressure, especially if she started moving after sitting or lying down for a while.
2. What's in the food she's munching. If it is sugar, refined carbs, then this can be messing up her blood sugar levels. Anything with artificial sweeteners could be a problem as well.

129b7967.gif

Allow me to throw this at you.

WHERE is she when she has her seizures? Is it the same classroom? or lunchroom/assembly/gym?

Could it be the LIGHTING? The carpet fumes? Mold in the school? Something the custodial staff uses to clean with? A teacher's scented candle? Someone's perfume? School built on an old toxic waste site? Near a dump/landfill/pigfarm? (yes they buy very cheap land here in Vegas and build the schools in questionable areas, like under powerlines, next to a pig farm, on old land fills.)

Is it about the same time of day?

It just may NOT be the nutrition aspect. It may be environmental

Last edited:
I have to agree with Birdy's posting there.

The environment can be a impact itself
right there. Especially with girls who slather
themselves with perfumes and colognes and
boys too (especially AXE!) ... Even old buildings,
the lights, and all, can have an affect and
effect. I need natural light - I cannot stand
being around an enclosed building without any
natural light at all and it's totally all fluorescent
lamps (which is why many places now have
begun to install overhead traditional spotlights
or adding table lamps to ease off the harshness).
For they are finding florescent lamps not just
being a energy saver but also a health hazard
to many people.

Then there's the Air Conditioning / Central
System - you don't know if it's been properly
cleaned or not; like Birdy says - "Mold" - but
there's also Mildew, and other airborne type
triggers.

I'm not sure if I've posted in this CWE, but I
know I've posted elsewhere, but you don't
know what chemicals the janitors / nightcrew
have been using to clean the schools, and
after the exposure to the fumes for XX hours,
then the triggers manifest. Since more than
one person works in the School, it's possible
that specific person is using more chemical(s)
to clean in that area than the others. You
just do not know.

I've had the same problematic issue in my
School days - even in College / University.
It was downright frustrating.

Even when I have to clean my own home,
since it's concrete block, I have a mold &
mildew problem (that's a normal problem for
this tropical region), but it can be controlled
by bleaching the interior 2-3 times a year,
which my mom and I have developed a habit
of. Even with all the windows opened and I'm
in gear. It's tough, because it will trigger
seizures. It's bad enough when I don't have
any emergency back up meds. So my mom
suggested to do a section (room) at a time
and spread it out rather than the entire house
in one day. There is a trick I use is a paint
roller with bleach and water and rolling it on
wall and ceiling from the 5 gallon bucket.
Not only does the house get cleaned but it
gets protected. But the window areas have
to be done by hand which I use paint brushes
or scrubbies. One of the "cons" of living in
the Tropics in a concrete block house, at
least you're protected from Hurricanes, but
you have the other problem of Mold & Mildew.
True, you could hire a professional to do it,
and we did it once a long time ago, and it
was not only so expensive but whatever they
used, caused the entire family to be sick and
develop allergic reaction. I'm sticking to my way!

I will try that nutritional change, though she loves her "mommy mcmuffin". I was also trying for a while, an asian specialty here... rice ball made with flakes of salmon. She loves those as well.

I didn't know the rule of starting with carbs and finishing on protein. I thought it was best to keep the protein up through out the day. She continues to be extremely backed up and I know that carbs can make that worse.

I will check out the glucose tabs. Thanks for that hint.

I get so tired of having to "think" all the time. It is draining.... certainly doesn't help the creative side of my brain.

The starting with carb rule, and finishing with protein is pretty familiar in the sports fields. Carbs are basically a good way of getting stimulation for energy, so to have them at the END of the day would be a big no-no....therefore, when you've been 'fasting' for 8 hours of sleep, it would be wise to feed yourself mainly carbs to replenish your insulin levels, and blood-sugar levels, as this is when they're gonna be at their lowest. This doesn't however mean that you should AVOID protein at this time of day, just don't make it the main part of the meal....another rule of thumb would be to make the meal 60% carbs, 30% protein, and 10% fat. This would be a good balance for starting the day.....and then as the day goes on, try reducing the carbs, and slightly increasing the protein levels.

I'd also recommend trying to see if Rebecca would be able to divide her caloric intake per day into 5-6 small meals a day, rather than 2-3 large meals (I'm only presuming this is how she'll be eating off course).

I divide my meal portions into the 6 a day, obviously with each meal containing less calories as the day goes on. This way, it will all be metabolised by the time I go to bed.

You will still have to be careful with certain proteins, such as beef/steak as these are very slow-digesting proteins. The longer it takes for proteins to be metabolised, the more 'strain' it will have on Rebecca's metabolism, and the more tired she will feel. Fish and White Meats, are going to be the best sources as they're alot easier to digest, freeing up Rebecca's energy levels.

Here's a quote from Epilepsy : a new approach" (that book you recommended to me, and I cannot put down - thankyou very much...lol) :

"Rarely, people have other medical conditions that are contributing to seizures, even though on optimal medication. Jack developed generalized seizures from brain damage after falling from a high scaffolding. He underwent an operation to remove two-thirds of his stomach after the same accident. When I saw him for the first time, five years after the accident, he was taking two anticonvulsant drugs with poor seizure control. I ordered a glucose tolerance test that measures blood-sugar level for several hours after drinking a sugar-water solution. His sugar level after three hours was only 25, an extremely low level that can by itself cause seizures. Jack now eats six small meals a day to control his blood-sugar level and takes a moderate dose of phenytoin. He has had no seizures for four years."

Just food for thought, for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom