dreaming seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

New
Reaction score
ok so i occasionally have seizures during my sleep. or do i.

the question is whether i am processing the memory of my seizures during the R.E.M. cycle or if i am having seizures during my sleep. i am guessing it's the dream but im curious.

because what's even more fascinating, dare i say, way out on a tangent of knowledge-less supposition, is whether or not a seizure during your sleep is simultaneously dreamed and authentic.

what i'm getting at is ur asleep... u dream... you have a seizure... ur dream sort of shifts from being a recollection/compaction of memory in the subconscious and gives u conscious kind of eyes on ur seizure.

sounds silly now that i write it out. lol. someone smart it out for me, i'm wayyyy to sleepy. didnt catch a peep last night. bombed with uni work atm.

If you do a sleep study at a hospital, they will video tape you overnight while recording EEG activity. You can verify any nocturnal seizure activity and know for sure whether they are dreams or physical events.

I'm kinda laughing to myself because that is in fact a very very clever question.

I have nocturnal sz's, and the way I know this is because I have auras first, and these wake me up.

But, that is a very very good question.....I'll be interested in what others think.

Bernard has really hit the nail on the head though with his reply - to have nocturnal seizure study carried out will answer your question for YOU. ;)

Sleeping seizures...

ok so i occasionally have seizures during my sleep. or do i.

the question is whether i am processing the memory of my seizures during the R.E.M. cycle or if i am having seizures during my sleep. i am guessing it's the dream but im curious.

because what's even more fascinating, dare i say, way out on a tangent of knowledge-less supposition, is whether or not a seizure during your sleep is simultaneously dreamed and authentic.

what i'm getting at is ur asleep... u dream... you have a seizure... ur dream sort of shifts from being a recollection/compaction of memory in the subconscious and gives u conscious kind of eyes on ur seizure.

sounds silly now that i write it out. lol. someone smart it out for me, i'm wayyyy to sleepy. didnt catch a peep last night. bombed with uni work atm.

It's possible that I dream of having a seizure though I don't recall the dream. All I know is that I have had occasional night time incontenance...Loose all bladder control - much and quickly. I wake up immediately, actually sit up and very startled. My neurologist says this is GM seizure. Your question about dreaming of having a seizure and what it means is a good one. I never, so far, have recalled a dream befor my outburst. Let me know if you find anything out and have you ever had what I've experienced? Always - Laurie

sometimes a similar waking experience (startled/bemused) without the dream (but only when i'm off my medication or for one reason or another my threshold is low).

lost bladder control once, though i wasn't asleep; it was my second or third seizure.

Last edited:
Walking Seizures

sometimes a similar waking experience (startled/bemused) without the dream (but only when i'm off my medication or for one reason or another my threshold is low).
I've never lost bladder control walking but I'm going to do a search re: clonic-tonic seizures. I woud not be surprised to find your experience in the data. Try a search to get an understanding of this embarrasing experience! Always - Laurie

lol walking? it was during the seizure. haha. pretty sure i was spasming about on the floor. but ay, donno how u walk. haha. rofl.

:p

I've had two clonic tonic seizures - loss of bladder control while sleeping. I never knew they were considered Grand Mal Seizures until I was informed by my neurologist. My Lamictal was immediately increased from 400mg to 600mg by my medicating dr. My neurologist wants me to have my blood levels checked for Lamictal. Just how important is this? I've already have had my blood level checked for Folic Acid levels. Just so tired of these blood tests. What's the worst that can happen if I forego Lamictal level blood test? Always - Laurie

If you go toxic on an AED, you could hurt your liver, suffer neuropathy (nerve damage) or other adverse reactions (I think skin rashes is one with Lamictal - IIRC).

I suffer from nocturnal seizures,
and if I could post all the images of
me, it would freak y'all out!

Yes I've walked, had Tonic-clonics,
complex partial seizures, simple partial
seizures, Status, Back-to-Backs,
Auras, way too many that I care
to post. I did post some medical
documents in EFA and I think some
here before some moron was hot-linking
them elsewhere where I had to remove
it. It's not funny!

Bernard is right - either going in for
an "All Night" at a Sleep Apnea Center
(outpatient) or through a video EEG
in a Hospital - would be the only way
to go to determine everything.

If you have any of such, you need to be
treated as soon as possible for such do
take time to find the right AED or
AEDs to bring it under control.

YOU CAN GET HURT or worse, you can
die from this if left being untreated!

Just how important is this? I've already have had my blood level checked for Folic Acid levels. Just so tired of these blood tests. What's the worst that can happen if I forego Lamictal level blood test? Always - Laurie

I understand how tiring, expensive and frustrating the tests can be, however Bernard is absolutely right. Too much of a drug can be very damaging. I am not familiar with Lamictal, but I know my Dilantin can really damage the liver.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a sleep study at a hospital, they will video tape you overnight while recording EEG activity. You can verify any nocturnal seizure activity and know for sure whether they are dreams or physical events.

I grew up with it being thought that I was a sleep walker and having nightmares. Have it at the VEEG and low and behold it is actually my hole life been Complex Partials.

The one my family likes is that I get out of bed go to the window and yell at and about the aliens that are coming down from the sky to invade us. I do it the most that we know of :ponder:

I have seizures in my sleep. I had never thought of it like a dream or anything though.. Interesting. I know since they are documented on EEGs (like someone mentioned) it's different.

Back
Top Bottom