"Drop Siezures" or passing out, anyone know?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLynn

New
Reaction score
Hi friends,
I havent posted recently. Been getting many tests to see why I just dropped out cold on the 27th, then had severe vertigo for five days.
I dont have insurance right now, so Ive paid out a lot, and owe even more!

Finally got into the ent, had tests, and who says there is nothing wrong with my ears, and even if there was, it could NOT cause me to "pass out" or lose consciousness. He appears very smart. He says it is either from my temporal lobe, or a heart problem!!! I havent had heart tests, and cant afford to have them right now, so you can imagine how scared I am.

My neuro didnt think it was a seizure, because of the vertigo afterward for that many days. Although I have the mts (temporal scarring) she didnt think it was a seizure. But if it was, she wrote down possible "complex."
Well, Im more apt to call it a "drop seizure." or Atonic, as that would describe it, not a complex at all in my opinion. Ive never had that kind before, so I cant be sure. Now, here's more that points to it being a heart problem.

I am wondering, has anyone here had Atonic seizures?
Ever get vertigo after a seizure of any kind?

I'm afraid its going to happen again, and next time I'm not going to wake up!

I hated what happened to me, and I felt better thinking it was an ear problem, now Im told there is no way it has anything to do with my ears at all. That was dissappointing, because now I know its more serious, and I dont have insurance to save my life if I need to.

Just hoping some of you here might give your educated two cents to help me sort this out and decide what to do next.

Thanks friends :)
JLynn

My wife has had atonic "drop attack" seizures. She never indicated having any vertigo afterwards.

My father has had problems with vertigo when his blood pressure shot up and he had TIAs (mini-strokes that don't cause any permanent damage).

Did the doctors suggest vasovagal syncope as a possibility?

Bernard,

Thanks for the link.
No, this condition was not mentioned at all. Does this condition also involve severe vertigo? I didnt see a mention of it on the link. I think the doc's are trying to pinpoint it to something that can cause loss of consciousness with severe vertigo. Ears can cause the vertigo, but not loss of consciousness, so that is why heart is suggested, and less possibly the brain, even though I have temporal scarring.
Oddly enough, the ENT said that the temporal lobe controls balance, but my neuro says it is rare to get vertigo with a seizure, and those that do it only lasts a few minutes, not days like mine did.
Im stumped, and scared, but just trying to keep on living, and praying it doesnt happen again. A little scared be home alone now,
but I know I will be fine :)

Im surprised how many folks, especially those with epilepsy do not know what mesial temporal sclerosis is, that is what I have. Probably many people with TLE have it as well. I wish there were more info on the net about the temporal lobe processes, and all effects of damage to it.
But I must give it a rest, go about my day, be happy as can be, and not worry to much.

I have read that allergic reactions to foods can cause both of these also.

A couple of years ago I went through a small spell of having a few 'possible' drop seizures, but I was never diagnosed as having atonic/tonic seizures because there was no evidence or witnesses, just as a bit of a coincidence my Lamictal was due to be increased and they haven't happened since.

As the seizure was happening I had a split second feeling of tripping over onto the floor, the next thing I knew I was picking myself up and carrying on as if nothing had really happened, the only thing that I ever hurt was my knees (not to sure why, I can only assume I fell on them) I had no after affects such as vertigo.

Thanks friends :)
JLynn

I've had Atonic (aka Drop Attacks) seizures, but they
are so isolated; they just happen without a warning.
So isolated are they that my Neurologists (past and
present) don't even bother to heed to it.

I might get smack-down with one, once in a blue moon;
but this year, I've had 2 Atonics.

As for me, it just takes me about a minute or so before
all my muscles gets back together again. But have I
ever gotten hurt from them? Absolutely! The last one
I had, just out of the blue and out of nowhere, while
walking home, right behind my son, and *bang* it
struck me and I collapsed where I was half on the lawn
and half on the driveway. I hate these. I am "semi-alert"
during these, and when I get up, I'm all woozy, and in
a daze. Fortunately I only ended up with bruises and
scrapes and a couple of bumps (good thing we weren't
walking on the driveway, for it 'might' had been a different
story there). And before that, I had an Atonic earlier
this year, which was followed by a Complex Partial, in
which caused me to slam down on the chair, but my son's
friend was there and was quick enough to grab my T-shirt
I was wearing to break it and pull me away or otherwise
I would have slammed into the table too, for that just
"happened", no warnings, no auras, no nothing.

But like the first one, after several minutes, I was able
to get up, all woozy, and in a daze, and only with a bad
sprain on my wrist and hand (it could have been worse
if his friend hadn't grabbed my T-shirt).

However, with Atonics - I get really "zoned out" or "spacey"
after it's over with but as the time goes on usually within
a half hour to an hour, everything gets back to normal.

I have had vertigo and acute vertigo in the past (a very long
time ago) which were a result of the medications I was on
that was at too high of a dosage and after the blood work
was performed and found it to be at too high of a range
(at toxic or over toxicity range). Only once I had experienced
acute vertigo that wasn't related to AEDS was
due to what the Doctors originally though my appendix
had ruptured, but I kept saying it was my ovarian cyst
again; but after they checked everything - it was indeed
my ovarian cyst, and it was an emergency - a surgery
would have to be performed and that was done.

I have had them. It was the fluid in my brain. I don't have them anymore. I did not feel dizzy or anything. I would just drop. It was about the time my myo's started after my coma.

Well, when those "different" things started happening I got monitored again. At Harborview and they straightened things out.I didn't even realize I was having them that much. The myo's were bothering me more.I trust your judgement on this.It sounds like just a change.Just an opinion.

After affects of Seizures

I think the other writer had a good thought about the high BP. You can check it yourself by getting a cuff at the local drug store- or even Wal-Mart for that matter. Keep a record daily- and make notes about things like when your last seizure was, and/or if you're experiencing vertigo. With that record in hand, you can show the results to your neurologist and/or general practitioner. Most BP medicine comes in a generic form and is inexpensive. Not like a lot of anti-seizure meds. Yes- I have been thru the "no inurance" problem. It is scary- but look to your friends and family to give you some emtional support. Remember, you are not alone. That in itself will take some of the stress off. Also, l look around for some nutritional guides which will help keep your BP down (low sodium, low chlorestral, and the like).

As far as Atonic seizures go- I am not sure. Every doctor has a different name for my seizures. They started as gran mal, then they added petit mal. Then I was told that they could be partial complex or tonic/clonic. The small seizures were considered absence, then another doctor called them petit mal again, and there were other names. Finally- I stuck with generalized and small. I have no warning before hand. I am always off balance while I recover. Mainly- sleep is the biggest help.

Last edited:
My son has them and high blood pressure. He has one kidney. I know there is a lot in the family.Try for grants at the Dr.s to . They do help.We had a cuff at home for my son for a long time.

I have had balance problems due to how I walk, prematurity and also virtigo. I had balance pt/physical therapy and it helped some but still am off balance. I don't have virtigo after a seizure but have had episodes of virtigo that are so bad that I can't close my eyes or lay down. I just sit up and keep my eyes open even if i'm real tired- kinda off. ENTs should know that virtigo is caused by imbalance of fluid in the inner ear- I have deafness and blindness and both of those can cause you to feel off balance. ENTs can test for virtigo and tinnitus etc. Some people get episodes of virtigo then it goes away. I would get a second opinion on virtigo from another ENT if you suspect that to be the problem.
I've been having drop attacks myself and I never get dizzy after it- just sort of confused and startled. I've got some talkin' to do with my new neuro soon next month- finally.

Take care and be safe.

I have atonic attacks. I have vertigo also. I started having vertigo when I started having absence seizures. Throughout all of my 60 years of seizures, I have had vertigo.

Was your vertigo constant for those five days, or did it come and go over the course of five days, or did it worsen during or after physical activity?

I'm just wondering, because that might help your doctors narrow down what's causing it.

Last edited:
Hi occb, my vertigo started when I was 6 years old. When I was first diagoned with epilepsy, I have had vertigo now for 60 years.

Thank you for the link Phylis.

New York- Presbyterian
University Hospital of Columbia quote:
Mesial Temporal Sclerosis is closely related to temporal lobe epilepsy, a type

of partial (focal) epilepsy in which the seizure initiation point can be identified within

the temporal lobe of the brain. Mesial Temporal lobe is the loss of neurons and scarring

of the temporal lobe associated with certain brain injuries.

Brain damage from traumatic injury, infectiion, a brain tumor, a lack of oxygen to the

brain or uncontrolled seizures causes the scar tissue to form, particulary in the

hippocampus, a region of the temporal lobe.. The region begins to atrophy; neurons die

and scar tissue takes their place.This damage is thought to be a significant cause of the

temporal lobe epilepsy. In fact, 70% of temporal lobe epilepsy patients have some

degree of mesial temporal sclerosis. It also appears that the mesial temporal sclerosis

can be worsened by additional seizures.

This is the definition. The symptoms are next in the link.

Hi occb, my vertigo started when I was 6 years old. When I was first diagoned with epilepsy, I have had vertigo now for 60 years.

Ruth, I didn't realize E could cause permanent vertigo -- is that common? I get three to four bouts of vertigo a year lasting from 5 to 14 days, but for me the cause has to do with ear infections or migraines.

Hi oocb, I do not know if my vertigo has to do with my seizures. I have never thought of asking my neurologist about it. I believe they do because I have had vertigo from the time I was diagnosed. I am going to ask my neurologist the next time I see him. Ruth

Oh -- from your post it sounded like your E and vertigo were linked, because you were diagnosed at the same time that your vertigo began. Maybe it is related, maybe not. Let us know what your neuro thinks -- my curiosity is piqued!

Hi occb,

Every person is different, it might be linked with epilepsy with one person but not another. I see my neurologist in November, I will ask him then and let you know. Ruth

Back
Top Bottom