Drowsiness?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yep. It's a side effect of both the meds I'm on. Today my seasonal allergies are acting up, I worked 12 hours and I'm extremely tired. I was planning on finishing some more of my work, but I figured it would be best to go home and relax. Why am I not in bed? LOL

Getting back to the point, I often feel I walk around all day like a zombie. I find energy where I can, but you can always see it in my eyes. The droopy bags that show how tired I really am.

carbamazepine, lamotrigine, keppra...

They all cause me to feel drowsy. The term drowsy very commonly used with a lot of commonly used medication, a lot available over the counter... I try and explain the 'proper drowsiness' is.

I struggle SO hard with my energy levels, and keeping my eyes open.

It's a side effect of 2 out of 4 meds. I get so tired in the mornings I don't want to get up. In the evenings I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. I want to go to sleep early but it'll throw off my body clock, my body thinks it's a nap so I'll wake up after 2 hours and I can't sleep till like 6am and I'm exhausted all day and I'll probably have a partial maybe even a grand mal because of it. Ugh...

Hi finalpoet,

I've taken phenobarbital along with Dilantin and a few other seizure meds that have made me exhausted but after taking them for awhile my body got used to the drug and I didn't feel as tired as I did in the beginning. What gets me messed up is when they change the time in the spring and fall that's what makes me tired. Wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I just realized I posted this in "The Lounge". My apologies.
No worries! I went ahead and moved it to The Kitchen.

Whether or not a medication causes drowsiness varies from person to person and is also dose dependent. If you're finding your anti-seizure medication is making you overly fatigued yet it is successfully controlling your seizures, you could ask your neurologist if taking a slightly lower dose is an option. If this is not felt to be the best course of action (eg. a lower dose does not control seizures) then perhaps there is an option to change the time(s) of the day that you take the medication. Taking two or more AEDs is more likely to cause fatigue as well, and tapering off of one of the medications and increasing the dose of the remaining medication(s) might be an option. Failing all this, your neurologist may know of an entirely different medication that will work for you.

carbamazepine, lamotrigine, keppra...

They all cause me to feel drowsy. The term drowsy very commonly used with a lot of commonly used medication, a lot available over the counter... I try and explain the 'proper drowsiness' is.

I struggle SO hard with my energy levels, and keeping my eyes open.

i take 2 out of your 3 drugs, yes they are tough. Especially after 5 yrs of them.

I try not to just sip coffee all day, I do not want to give up working my regular job, etc.

I also take about 4 other drugs, over the years trying to keep up with what drug is causing what issue gets harder and harder as you keep adding drugs & years to the list.

In the last 5yrs the most drugs i was on way 8, lowest was 4, now on 5.

when on 8, 4 were seizure/seizure helpers (like Klonapin)

Back
Top Bottom