Drug Interaction

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

todub

New
Reaction score
Probably a question I should be asking my nuerologist, but I dont need a prescription I just want to take a couple of pills to get rid of some back pain. I am taking Topamax and I have an old prescription of Percocet left from an old injury before I had taken any epilepsy meds. Does anyone know if these are ok to take together?

I would call the pharmacy and ask if the two are compatable. Considering all the pain meds I've used over the years and my AEDs I've never had any drug interaction with pain killers. But I will call different stores like CVC and Walgreens and see if I get the same answers. You could put in a call to the doctors office but I doubt if they's get back to you being so close to the holidays.

todub,
I totally agree with birdy, check with your pharmasist or Dr. but if you are on ANY AEDs, definately don't take any over the counter cold or flu meds (anything containing antihystimine and/or decongestant as the chemical reaction CAN be fatal.)

I speak from 28 years experience of being on AEDs.
I was told (and experienced myself) internal bleeding or nose bleeds from most headache meds exept Tylonol. That's the only one that I can take that doesn't react to my seizure meds.

I can't take aspirin, IB Profen, Advil, Exederin or Motrin, just Tylonol.

I took 2 Advil once by mistake and had massive nose bleeds that wouldn't stop. At the time I didn't think it had anything to do with the meds then it happened again just a couple of days before I had to see my neurologist. I happened to mention this to him and he was very concerned and said that I was lucky that I didn't bleed out through my stomach.

This is more of a problem in my case because I also take meds for my ulcerative colitis.

This warning is not documented on any OTC cold/flu meds literature.
I don't know why the FDA doesn't make this info manditory.

Regards

Randy

Randy - do you have any links to explain this side effect more. I am really curious as this is the first time I have heard of this.
Thanks

Robin,

Sorry, I can't find any documentation either.
I only found out from my own experience.
I posted this info. on another board about a year ago and I got lots of replys back from ppl who had the same type of problem (seizure trigger and massive bleeding) and as it turned out, tyey stopped taking cold meds and the problems stopped.

I even had a reply from one person who had it verified by her pharmasist because she didn't believe me, and then she sent me a PM of thanx.

See this comment from Fay:

Yes, I agree that most over the counter meds don't have enough info either on the label or on the pamplets that comes inside a lot of meds that come in a box. It's a shame that people are dying from honest mistakes like Larry did. You'd think that the FDA would have gotten more strict about the labels on the over the counter meds. I think that they need to put ALL over the counter meds behind the counter like they do a lot of other over the counter meds. This way the Pharm and the person can consult together to find out if it's safe to use for them. It would def save a lot of lives.

AND from Sue:
Fay & RM

As I said in a previous post about what cold meds I could take with my AED's; the pharmicist usually comes out and asks me what medication I am on then goes away gets some meds and shows me what he/she has got that is suitable for me; as I am on AED's; thyroxine(thyroid); antidepressant & migraine meds

Sue

AND again from Fay:Hello Sue,
You did exactly what RM and I wish everybody did!
You KNEW to ask for help (advice) from either a doc or a Pharmacist. Most people don't give over the counter meds a second thought and think that because you can buy it without a prescription that it's harmless, even when taking a prescription medication for any medical problem they might have. Before Larry (my 1st husband) died, one of my Aunts took one over the counter medication (extra stregth Tylenol) and when that didn't work she grabbed a different over the counter med (Ibeprohen- can't spell it corrrectly) and doubled that dose...Then couldn't figure out why her stomach was killing her and why she had the runs and started throwing up. She has Crohns disease and was taking at least 2 prescription meds for it when this happened. She had no idea that when she took those over the counter meds like that she was asking for trouble. She was admitted into the hospital as she started hemoraging and spent 2 weeks in the hospital.
There is a huge difference between people grabbing any over the counter med to take when they already take meds and those people that ask for advice and help. You did exactly what RM and I WISH everyone would do. But because most people don't give over the counter meds a second thought while taking precription meds, we both think that all over the counter meds should be sold BEHIND the counter so that these people will have to ask for the med they want which in turn would give the pharmicist a chance to talk to them about the med and any medication interactions with any precriptions they might be taking. People are accidentally killing themselfs every day by either taking an over the counter med that interacted with a precription med or they take two, three, four diffrent over the counter meds that shouldn't be taken together.
Had Larry thought (we were divorced) to ask one of his docs or the pharmacist for a med he could take safely while taking his meds for his back, he would prob still be alive and my oldest son would still have his Daddy that he loved so much.

I'm from Canada and we have stricter policies re over the counter meds.

IMO ~ the FDA should make this information manditory.

Randy

We all need to be more careful about what we put into our mouths. Food, OTC drugs, and prescribed drugs. We need to take responsibility, and be smart.
It is difficult when certain information is withheld or not considered important.

Tylenol has been a drug of choice when my kids were growing up. Now I find out that it tends to deplete the body of glutathione, which is the body's natural way to detoxify. So what are we told to do before each and every vaccination? Give our little ones tylenol of course.

http://www.creators.com/lifestylefe...estyle-related-liver-disease-on-the-rise.html
http://www.glutathionediseasecure.com/

Robin,

Wow, Lots of good information there ~ good read ~ Thanx

Randy (RM)

Back
Top Bottom