E and Driving

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KelVarQ

New
Reaction score
For those of you who use the holistic approaches to control your E, are you allowed to drive since these approaches are per se' not accepted? Or do you just follow the law of the amount of time one has to wait to drive after a seizure? For example: If it's 6 months and you're seizure free due to a holistic approach would you get in trouble driving since you don't take the medications? A part of me likes the whole holistic approach, but a lot of me wants to drive again and I'm afraid that regardless if I keep my E under control holistically I'll still never be able to drive because I'm not taking the appropriate medication. Is that the case?

Hmmmm, I THINK

that depends on your state, and your doctor, too. You'd really have to check with your doctor.

I know it Canada (& I think in the US) whether you're allowed to drive or not depends on how long it's been since your last seizure, not what method you use to control them.

I know in Arizona you have to be seizure free for 3 months before you can drive.

Not sure

what is this holistic approach? im allergic to quite a bit of meds so im worried if they cant find something to work...??:soap:

Holistic approaches can range from using vitamin and mineral supplements to using marijuana, acupuncture, biofeedback EEG, etc. Bernard has a list of different alternative/complimentary therapies. Some people here use diet to control their seizures. No meds at all. Others, like myself use an alternative therapy to help keep our meds at a low level. For example, I follow a diabetic type diet and take magnesium. I also eat 6 times a day, and try to get 7 hours of sleep every day (not easy with a 3 month old). For some, alternative therapies can totally control the seizures and no meds are necessary. For others, meds are necessary or what we choose.

Back
Top Bottom