Ecstasy causes seizures? ("E", X, Candy, Rave - Drugs)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello eveyone

im new to the forum.. and recently been diagnosed epilepsy..

im not sure if i can ask this here so im sorry if i ofend anyone :paperbag: i just dont know where else to go.. so please feel free to delete it if you must :)

i've had myoclonic seizures for years and only have had one tc seizure..my first appointment with the neuro is in a week.. and then we'll discuss the treatment and all...

Im a regular ecstasy user.. but have been to scared to use any more since i had the tc seizure.. im wonder if it may trigger another one... im scared of even drinking or clubbing since that day.. bright lights and even the pc screen freak me out :S

I wonder if any of you has experienced this too? Is there any change i'll be able to keep using them? or do i have to send them away for good?

id appreciate any advise

luv
M

Hi butterfly_dreams, welcome to the forum. :hello:

IMO, the temporary high you get from messing with your brain chemistry is not worth a lifetime seizure disorder. Stop now and do what you can to prevent another siezure. Once the floodgates open on the seizures, your whole outlook on life will change and partying in clubs is going to be very far down your list of concerns.

:twocents:

Yes, ecstasy abuse can lead to a lifetime seizure disorder.

butterfly_dreams
welcome to the forum,
I agree with Bernard you need stop using now there not worth you having seizures over.
Your neurologist or epileptologist would tell you same thing.
:agree:

illegal drugs can cause other damage as well.:twocents:

Belinda

welcome to the board.

Illegal drugs are dangerous for everyone whether you have epilepsy or not.

Many medications, alcohol, and recreational drugs will lower your seizure threshold. I wouldn't be surprised if the ecstasy brought on the tonic/clonic. If you were to continue, IMO, using these drugs, you are inviting more seizures and likely worse.

SERIOUS RISK !!! lay off the drugs. Also the drinking if possible as it is a known trigger for myoclonus ( i get auras when i drink. so no more booze for me.)

I agree with all the above. You have one body and it's time to take care of it. There are other ways to have fun without abusing yourself. Sorry to be so harsh but you are playing with fire.

I have

to agree with the others. And as someone who suffers T/C's (tonic clonics) with out the benefit of using something like Ecstasy, I would NOT take the chance. The pain I go thru afterwards from the injuries is just not worth it.

I, too, agree with all the above postings. Please click on the posting that Bernard has provided about Ecstacy. Let that one tonic/clonic seizure be a wake up call. If you continue to use the drug/alcohol, it could get worse!
I use neither (except AEDs) & I still have CP & TC seizures.

Cindy

I'm at an age where many a times I have been offered "E" and coming to this forum and hearing epilepsy be known as "E" (which is now the norm in my mind as well..) first made me giggle.. Anyway, I just can't imagine ever, ever trying a drug like that, and I am very scared for you that you have. :(
I agree with what everyone else has said.. and also think that its quite possible the drug may have caused the seizures. I really hope you choose to stop taking the drugs.. they are a very very scary thing. You are in my prayers.​

Hi butterfly! Welcome to CWE. :) We're a really friendly group, so feel free to continue asking questions. We'll answer with the best info we can. Now, as to your question on recreational drug use. All drugs (this includes weed) effect the brain's chemistry. Now, everyone has the possibility of having seizures. It's called a seizure threshold. The average person has a fairly high threshold. It takes a lot to trigger a seizure in them. For those of us with epilepsy, our threshold's are a lot lower. It doesn't take as much for us to have seizures. Any drug (and this includes caffeine in energy drinks or coffee, alcohol, nicotine) that can lower the threshold or throw off our brain's chemical balance should be avoided. I know that this can mean a huge change in lifestyle, but it's important that you think about your health. Be honest with your doc about your past drug use. He/she can tell you the permanent effects that it may have had on your brain. Hope this helps.

:cheers:

Butterfly - I hope you come back and read these responses. We are not trying to preach at you or put you down for your use of ecstasy.

This is simply a group of people who have went through hell with epilepsy and don't want to see anyone suffer needlessly.

Try to look at it logically. Ecstasy attacks your brain and neural network. Though the sensations you may sometimes feel are good at the time, they are still a sign that your brain is not functioning normally. This can have long term and profound impacts on your life.

Run from that drug and the environment that leads you to it as fast as you can. You will be so glad you did 5, 10, and 20 years from now.

:twocents:

Please for your own sake ...

:hello: Butterfly!

Welcome to CWE! The usage of recreational drugs
has always been a controversial issue, and it's not
been recommended and as you can see from the
postings, it's strongly advised not to do it, for there's
far too many consequences involved as well as risk
factors. But this one thing I want you to ask yourself
is: IS IT WORTH IT?

There are many people who are dead because of that,
who are in jail because of that, who are in all sorts of
trouble because of that ...

I agree with everyone else - Don't do it, don't take the
risk, don't put yourself in jeopardy!

I don't do drugs, and worse, I'm allergic to them ~
especially those who have/had smoked "weed, mj,
joint, marijuana, pot, etc" and it's on their clothes or
it's insulting when they're smoking it right in front of
me without any considerations right out in the public!

:(

hello everyone..

thank you so much for all of your replies and advise. it is greatly appreciated.
:) x

to be honest.. it is sort of what i`'hoping' not to hear since ive been involved w x for quite a while..

HOWEVER.. I agree with all of you that my health is not risking just for having a few hours of "fun".. and its prob a good time for me to have a change..
I do lead a lifestyle that causes me to have a lower threshold.. so there'll need to be some changes..
Definetly this tc seizure was a wake up call as to they way ive been pushing my own body and putting in risk my health...

Again.. thank you all for your advise :)

Ill take care of myself :noevil:
See you around the forum
x

Hi- I grew up durring the drug culture yet I never went further than 'weed'. Even then I would only pass for a casual user, and that was before any seizures. The last thing you need is a self induced 'trigger'! I can only imagine the damage I might have done had I experimented more? Now in the interest of full disclosure, I do live in a state that allows medical use of marajuana including for seizure patients. For SOME not ALL it can make a difference HOWEVER we are talking therapeutic level not 'I've smoked myself stupid' level and yes there is a difference! Remember, garbage in, garbage out- not only applies to computer data. I do not know how old you are or how long you have had E but I do know how much of my own life is 'missing' since my journey with E began. I would hate to think some of the best parts are lost to self induced stupidity. Trust me E is ride enough...:soap:

Glad we didn't scare you away

I am relieved that you responded back. We want to help you with our advice and not chase you away. Most of us understand that quitting anything like x is not easy (smoking and drinking included). It is often more than just the drug itself, but the environment we are in that makes it tough to quit.

Best of luck again and keep coming back.

:rock:

Glad to see you came back and responded. :) I was worried that you wouldn't. People have a tendency to ignore what they don't want to hear. Trust me, I understand that the lifestyle changes are going to be tough. I went from drinking 9 cups of coffee a day to 3 cups of decaf a day. :( My friends used to tell me that it was faster to just do a caffeine IV....I kept telling them that it cooled down too quickly. Also, I'm in the process of quitting smoking cigarrettes. :( My one vice....ah well.....I went from 12 cigarettes a day to 6 cigarrettes a day. Not bad, but I do miss my smokes.....I know, that's the nicotine talking....ah well. And when you're young, you think that you can stay up as late as you want...but that's not necessarily true. Just remember to ask your doctor about what changes you should make and how quickly. Dropping caffeine or cigarettes too quickly "cold turkey" can trigger seizures too..... Glad to see you back. :)

Hey,

I wondered the same thing. I used ecstacy every so often a few years ago and quit smoking weed about a month ago. Although I have been having simple partials for 6 years, I have only just been diagnosed and am due to start meds next week.

I came to the conclusion that while neither seemed to make any difference to my seizures, there was a much higher risk of the drugs affecting me badly because of the epilepsy. Can you imagine having a seizure while rushing on ecstacy? the thought of it terrifies me! (and also, think of the people who you're with at the time) Also, there is a very strong chance of the ecstacty interacting with your medication, which could be fatal. (A man in the UK died from taking an over the counter med with his AED's)

The biggest thing with ecstacy is that you really don't know whats in there, if all pills were pure, they'd all look the same and have the same effect right? Unfortunately pills have loads of chemicals in them which we are unaware of, ranging from talc to tranquilizers.

I made the decision to keep well clear, It's your decision to make, but I'd take the advice of the forum

Take care xx

Ditto on what Munchy said- I had taken some presciption cough medicine (half the dose). Within 20minutes I was losing my sight. I ended up in the hospital for 10 days and still took another 3 weeks for my sight to return. My point is when you have a health condition that requires medication on a regular basis, there are consequences even when they are prescribed. Some people handle the chemicals better than others and some (like me) build up an intoloance and become hypersensitive to the slightest changes. So the moral of this story is to be your best friend-your body is you therefor be kind, it's gotta last ya till the end.:soap:

Never had a seizure during sex. LOL

OH Wait.... THE DRUG! Never took it, never will. I'm too scared of ANYTHING that might cause me problems. Take care of your body. You'll be glad you did. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I can't stand taking my medicine. I do it because I have to... but look forward to a day when I can get off.

There was a time for about 4 years, when I was drug free and seizure free. This was before love, marriage, and children. HA HA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can Ecstacy cause Seizures?

Hello everyone, My question is very similar to Butterfly's but different. You see just like her I was just diagnosed with JME(juvinile myoclonic epilepsy).

Which is very hard to swallow because I have NO family history EVER having a seizure let alone a seizure disorder. I have been in denial for about a year saying that my first seizure was a side effect to some medicine. It took my second seizure to kind of wake me up and to get responsible about it.

I was in the hospital last night when they were talking about the synapsis and I know that doing ecstacy can mess with your synapsis. I have not done ecstacy in 8years but I did it very heavily for 1 year back in high school. So my question is:

"COULD HAVE ECSTASY HAVE CAUSED MY DISORDER?"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom